ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x570m SATA drives disappearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluznvice@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x570m SATA drives disappearing
    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 9:07am
Just finished building a new system. It's got one big problem and a couple little nagging ones.

The big problem is that the 2 SATA drives randomly disappear from Windows.

Event log shows Event #157 "Disk 1 (or 0) has been surprise removed." They both disconnect at exactly the same timestamp. They are gone from Windows entirely. They're still in BIOS and the only way to get them back is with a reboot.

These 157 events are ALWAYS immediately preceded by one second with Event #27 - "Gigabit Network Connection Network Link is Disconnected"

- x570m Pro4 motherboard
- AMD R7 2700X CPU
- Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX5700XT GPU
- G Skill Trident Z Royal 2x8 GB 3200 mhz
- EVGA Supernova 650 G3 80+ Gold PSU
- Samsung 970 EVO M.2 Nvme 500GB SSD (Windows System)
- WD Blue 1TB SSD
- Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
- Corsair LL120 RGB fans (x3), LL140 fans (x2), via Corsair fan hub and Lighting Node Pro via USB.
- Fractal Design Meshify C mini

System went together nicely and booted up fine. Installed BIOS is ver P1.50. First thing I did was flash to ver P1.92 - most current.
Went into BIOS and changed fans to PWM, and updated XMP memory profile to faster.

Installed Windows 10 Pro and ran a few updates. Windows update caught most of the unrecognized devices except one. Initialized drives in Windows. Began installing updated drivers.

Tried to run the CD that came with the mobo, but didn't work. Since I didn't install an optical drive, I used an external CD/DVD reader/writer. The system wouldn't read the CD, it just kept trying to use it as a burner. Don't know why, but I figured it was just apps and drivers on the CD which I could get from the website. Will troubleshoot this later.

Installed GPU 5700XT drivers.
Installed Asrock AMD All in 1 drivers. All devices now recognized.
This was the first time I noticed the SATA drives were now missing. Rebooted and they came back.

Installed Realtek Audio drivers, Intel LAN drivers, Asrock MB Utility, Asrock Appshop, and Polychrome RGB from Asrock website.

Ran Polychrome RGB, installed Corsair iCue and set up all the RGB. Set up Audio/speakers.

Began setting up Windows - going through all the setting and file system. Created directories and added a file to both SATA drives. Setup Windows Backup (File history). Began a backup using Windows 7 backup/restore.

Next day I noticed the backup failed. SATA drives were missing from the system. Wrote to Asrock Technical support describing the problem.    

NOTE: It seems to happen when I'm either not paying attention for a long time, or after I've taken a break from it for a while and it goes into sleep mode, but not always just mostly. Each of the SATA drives is on a separate SATA power cable and separate data cables, so I didn't think power was top suspect (although power management might be).

Performed a full format on both SATA drives. Changed Windows advanced power settings to never turn off hard drives. Neither fixed the problem.

Asrock Tech support wrote back next day. "Please verify the SSD on other SATA ports, if the problem still persist on other SATA ports, I believe the issue came from SATA controller. You will have to contact the m/b seller exchange the m/b."

Moved both SATA cables to different ports. Happened again. Damn it.

But I'm still thinking...no...Mainly because of the possible link to power/sleep mode, some blog references to backups, and the connection to Event #27 network events.

So, while I'm mulling over the very undesirable task of pulling it all apart to exchange the mobo, I'm still looking for ideas. Turned off Windows backup.    
bluznvice@gmail.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluznvice@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 1:11pm
UPDATE:
Problem is definitely related to sleep mode. Turn sleep mode off in Windows, drives don't disappear. Seems self-evident now. Manually putting the machine in sleep mode, drives disappear on wake up.

So, I've identified the problem: SATA drives are not awake when polled by the system on wake up and are "surprise removed". Same goes for the Network adapter.

Any help?
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 5:36pm
Check ACPI power/wakeup settings related to PCIe, network etc in the bios.
Also check power settings in the device manager for the problematic devices.
If there is nothing to solve the problem, don't use suspend until hopefully a new bios will fix the issue.
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluznvice@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 7:46am
There's nothing in the device manager that allows me to change any relevant parameters.
Went back into BIOS and changed the only option "PCIE devices power on" from the default disabled to enabled.
Same results (drives gone after system sleep), although symptoms were a little different. This time, I got several 100's of Event #51 "Error detected on device during a paging operation" between the Network disabled event #27 and the surprise removed #157.

At this point I really need to hear from Asrock as to whether this is a hardware problem with the SATA controller (as they said in their response to my trouble report), or whether it's something that will be fixed in a patch.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluznvice@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 1:10am
UPDATE: Got word from Asrock Tech Support. He says replace the motherboard. Ok. Will update after replacement is complete.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluznvice@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 11:04am
Final update. Replaced the mobo as per Asrock Tech Support. Same problem. That was fun. The new mobo came in with BIOS ver. P1.80 and I didn't flash it yet to the new version. 100% sure that won't fix it, since the first mobo already had it.

If anybody else has an x570m Pro4 with SATA drives, I'd appreciate if you checked your system to see if you have the same problem, or not.

So, I'm calling this an official bug in the motherboard.
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:16pm
You could try to change the driver for the SATA controller in the device manager. If you have the standard window driver, install the AMD driver, else the other way round.

BTW: Here in the forum a user had problems with his M2 SSDs. His solution was to change the SATA driver from AMD to standard windows driver.
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluznvice@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:34am
(Dumb question) Do you know if these are in fact AMD SATA ports?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluznvice@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:58am
Snipped this from the AMD website concerning their SATA drivers. Note the second paragraph:

Driver Compatibility

AMD SATA AHCI drivers for AMD 6-Series, 7-Series, 8-Series, or 9-Series chipsets are included in the chipset driver package and is compatible only with desktop systems running Windows® 8.1, Windows 7 or older (depending on chipset).

The AMD SATA controller component is not compatible with and will not be offered nor installed by the chipset driver package on AMD desktop systems running Window® 10 or using AMD Socket AM4 and Socket TR4 chipsets. Forcing a manual driver installation via Device Manager on these systems is not supported and may cause stability and performance issues with some mass storage devices, such as solid-state drives (SSD).
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 4:59pm
Oh, good finding!
That is obviously the explanation why the standard windows driver helped on the problems of the other user.
I cannot find that on the website, but in the installation folder of the latest driver package the AHCI SATA driver has only a W7 folder from 2015...

So my posting from above must be like:
You have to check the driver for the SATA controller in the device manager. If the AMD SATA driver is active, you have to change it to the standard windows driver.

Under test:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic