ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mobo not recognizing chasis fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overclockmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 8:31am
I appreciate your lengthy response, I've read it a few times to make sure I got everything.

I actually do happen to have that exact hub since my case if a Phanteks Enthoo Pro of which is a basic model of that one.

Now the stock fans are 12V, 0.20A and both of them ran pretty well off of Chasis fan header #2   (something I forgot to mention last time) . However you were right in terms of there being a signalling problem since nothing was being able to recognize it given that I had nothing connected to the first header in the hub.

I've also done what you suggested in #1 and it worked fine

However I've ran into a few problems. 
1. When connecting the stock cpu fan to CPU_2 header, it would wouldn't run at all. Same occured when I connected it to the hub. When I changed the settings in the UEFI to performance mode, it would run quite fast however when I push down the speed to 25 or 30 @ 30C in the Fan in the asrock fan app, it would have the fan stop completely. When I turn it back on again by raising the dots and pressing "test fan speed" then it would go on full blast before going back down.

All this time while that was occuring, the cpu temp (according to CPUID HWMonitor) was at 39-40.  
It simply seems like the fan wasn't getting enough power.  

And now when I set the fan speed lower  (to 30% through the asrock app, it just turns off. I thought the problem was over but when I did it now, it turned off.  Through out the whole time the cpu was hovering at 40 Celsius however while the fan was off, it started to whine. There was a long beep sound that was quiet that would then result in a beep.  The panel was closed since I figured connecting everything to the hub would solve the problem so I closed the panel so I didn't notice the fan was off. 

Edited by overclockmonkey - 22 Nov 2015 at 8:37am
ntsarb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ntsarb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:37am
I have an ASRock X99 WS motherboard and I've been trying to set the cooling in a way that allows for quiet operation when using productivity software, i.e. when the CPU is idle most of the time, and keep components cool when running heavy workloads, such as GPU Compute and games.

I eventually decided to go for the following configuration, which I present here in case people find it useful:

1x ThermalTake Commander FP connected via PWM (4-pins) to the CPU1 fan header.
2x PWM CPU Fans connected to 4-pin ThermalTake Commander FP fan header.
1x PWM Front Upper Fan connected to 4-pin ThermalTake Commander FP fan header.

Speed of CPU1 fan header-attached fans is set to zero for temperatures below the CP's idle temperature. This ensures that the system is quiet when the CPU is cool. It is set to ramp up the speed as the CPU's temperature rises.

The reason I used the ThermalTake Commander FP is to ensure that the front upper fan's speed is in sync with the CPU fans' speed, so that they are fed with sufficient, cool fresh air.

For the cooling of the motherboard and the supply of fresh air to the GPUs (I use Founder's Edition cards, which extract air from the case, potentially causing negative air pressure), two more fans are configured as follows:

1x PWM Front Lower (high speed - up to 2000rpm) Fan connected to 4-pins CHA2 fan header, which uses voltage regulation (i.e. as if it was a 3-pins). I noticed that the fan is activated when voltage is at least 40%, hence I configured this fan to operate at 40% for up to 40C motherboard temperature and then quickly ramp up speed, if motherboard temperatures rise.

1x PWM Back (up to 1000rpm) Fan connected to 3-pin CHA1 fan header. I set this to operate 100% at all times. It runs quietly, at about 1000rpm.

When the CPU is idle and the fans connected to the ThermalTake Commander are off, the lower fan feeds more air into the case than the back fan pulls, ensuring positive air pressure.

When the CPU fans are ramping up, which typically happens alongside the GPU fans, the back fan can't pull as much air as the front upper fan pushes, which allows for some fresh air to go to the GPUs.

Edited by ntsarb - 22 May 2017 at 1:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic