ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4 Virtualization Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numeratrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4 Virtualization Problem
    Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 7:28pm
I'm having a virtualization issue with an ASRock AB350M Pro4 motherboard (Ryzen 3 2200G). RAM tests fine.

I've activated virtualization in the BIOS (upgraded to 5.90) and have tried reinstalling and recovering Windows 10 Pro multiple times. Every time I've tried to install or use any feature related to virtualization my Windows boot fails. Sometimes I can boot into safe-mode and the system then aborts and uninstalls the features. Sometimes I have to resort to using a restore point & occasionally I have to reinstalling entirely. The issue is repeatable in both 1809 and 1903. It happens every time I try to install Windows Sandbox. It happens happens when I turn on 'Core isolation'. Same with Hyper-V.

Anyone have any ideas what may be going on? Is this a Windows issue or a hardware issue? I'm ready to swear off ASRock for life.
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 8:47pm
Is SVM mode really on in the bios?
And i think you have to ensure that SMT is also enabled.

You maybe also have to enable
Advanced\North Bridge config\SR-IOV support
and
Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Commom Options\NB Config\IOMMU

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
numeratrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numeratrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 10:31pm
Yes, it says SVM is on in UEFI. All the settings you mention are good. Virtualization shows on in Windows under Task Manager > Performance & all settings for Hyper-V show enable under systeminfo.exe.

No matter what I do I can't get anything that needs virtualization to install.
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 12:49am
You maybe have to configure/increase the UMA frame buffer size in the bios too.

And this is not an Asrock issue, it is a configuration problem with the Ryzen APU.
Search for "ryzen 2200g virtualization" and you will see, that user with boards from other vendors have the same problem.
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numeratrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 1:17am

Thanks for hinting at a new direction to explore. Much appreciated.

Increase the UMA frame buffer size from what? To what? It's set to auto by default..?

I never had problems like this when I was using the APU on a B450M Pro4 so I have to say it kinda seems like it is a BIOS issue. I know the industry has been going through AMD growing pains for some time now...I get it. It would be nice if ASRock actually responded to requests for support though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numeratrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 1:35am
I'll freely admit this kind of tinkering w/UEFI settings is new to me so thanks for your patience.

There seems to be multiple places you can change UMA Frame buffer Size.

I changed the UMA Frame buffer Size in:

Advanced\North Bridge Configuration

to 2G and it looks like that changed it in:

Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options\GFX Configuration

also. I tried installing Windows Sandbox again and it stills fails to boot/complete the install. Please advise.              
Kirurgs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirurgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 1:46am
My son exactly this MB, but Ryzen 2400G. He virtalized a lot of OS, including macosx, BUT under Linux, w/ and w/o graphics card passthrough.
So from HW perspective it must work and issue is likely with Windows virtalization solution.
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
MB: Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 (BIOS 7.03)
RAM: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, works with 3200 by default on 7.03 bios (previously I could not go higher than 2933)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numeratrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:03am
ASRock says the only OS they support is Windows 10 for this board. They don't even do that though. I submitted a ticket weeks ago and they never responded. This is maddening b/c this is for a family member. I'm done with ASRock.
Kirurgs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirurgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:39am
Try disabling IOMMU, I think it's needed only for pcie device passthrough and try using virtalbox if You need just a virtual machine.
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
MB: Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 (BIOS 7.03)
RAM: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, works with 3200 by default on 7.03 bios (previously I could not go higher than 2933)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numeratrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:46pm
Disabling IOMMU didn't help.

My brother commissioned me to build this machine and he's not tech savvy. Virtualbox would be pointless. I want to be able to enable virtualization security features to help protect him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic