FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Self Built PC, accidently updated to 3.6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self Built PC, accidently updated to 3.6
    Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 6:04pm
A2 & B2 is in the motherboard spec page and user manual

setting to XMP will have the rams run at its rated speed the voltage depends on the manufacturer
amccormick318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccormick318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

suppose to be A2 & B2 dunno where you get A1 & B1

then you'll need to set XMP to have the ram run at their rated speed

I'm not all that tech savvy, like I mentioned in my above post, my buddy helped me put it together, it was placed in the A1 and B1 slots. His reasoning was as long as they are spaced apart, it will run in Dual channel. I didn't know about the whole Priority 1 and 2 thing that I came to read about later on after the PC was assembled, home and I had time to dive a bit deeper into info about the mobo/pc.

So I should be able to simply swap the RAM slots and run the XMP profile after setting the Volts to 1.35? Its currently set to 1.25 for 2666. The 3.60 BIOS shouldn't hinder this at all?
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 3:28pm
suppose to be A2 & B2 dunno where you get A1 & B1

then you'll need to set XMP to have the ram run at their rated speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccormick318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 3:13pm
Oh, I left out what type of processor i am using. I have an Ryzen 5 2600, which is not recommended to have said 3.6 bios. Heres a run down of my PC

Mobo:ASRock B450m Pro4

RAM: Team Series T-Force Vulcan 3200 2x8GB

GPU: XFX Black Series RX 580 8GB OC Edition

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccormick318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 3:10pm
So as the topic title detailed I accidently updated my BIOS to the 3.60 update. How you may ask, well... to be blunt I simply popped in the installation disk into an external USB Optical drive and let it do its thing.   I'm not the most tech savvy and had a buddy who knew how to put PC's together.   He showed me how and where a few things went but he goofed on a few things which leads me to a few questions.

In regards to whats goofed, well the RAM is in the A1 and B! slot, which normally wouldn't be an issue, except the AMD logo on the motherboard fan has one of the sticks unable to be removed without removing the fan (kids, dogs, can't do that around my home.) So i'm going to have to haul my PC to Geek Squad for some quick assistance. They only quoted a charge of $30 so that's a fair price for quick work.   

Now here are my questions, would the RAM being in A1 and B1 cause issues with OCing the ram to their intended 3200 speed? The RAM itself is Team Series T-Force Vulcan 2x8 gb 3200 RAM. The RAM registers as Dual channel via CPU-Z, but the highest i can get the speed is up to 2666.   Now would that be due to the improper slotting, the improper BIOS, or both? Am I going to be screwed inregard to getting my RAM up past 2666?

Currently I have an appointment to get some help at Geek Squad like i mentioned before, the job will be quick and simple, but again I don't have room or the safety for the PC itself to do that without ensuring juice ends up on the motherboard or a dog got itself a new RAM chew toy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic