ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raid Menu CTRL-R not showing up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttrak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raid Menu CTRL-R not showing up
    Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 7:32am
New X570 Aqua with 2-2TB NVME drives, enable raid in BIOS\Advanced. On reboot it seems to want to load the boot drive before the raid controller boot option ever comes up to setup the raid disks. Have done raid setups on most of my systems since SCSI days and they all work along the same lines.

What am I missing to get to the raid menu on boot up? Do I need to do a shadow Win10 install on an alternate drive to get to that raid option setup menu? Hate to waste the time if something else is effecting my ability to get the option menu up. Normally I would of expected the Raid menu to come up before attempting to load off a boot disk but..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 10:10am
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/X570%20AQUA/English.pdf

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asrock-x570-taichi-raid-0-nvme-win-10-install.3514158/
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
fasttrak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttrak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 11:01am
Thanks, I actually have the RAID manual from Asrock, and unlike the gentleman in that second posted link, he is able to access the RAID menu in boot up to set the drives and the RAID mode, I can not.

Coming back to AMD is beginning to get fun...
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 11:33pm
Both NVME drives must be in a cleared state to show up in the bios for setting up raid. You have to delete all partitions.
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
fasttrak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttrak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 12:49am
Thanks for your thoughts but both NVME drives were brand new never initialized prior to being installed in the Asrock board. I really wish I could easily remove the NVME drives and try a couple of my Samsung 960 Pro SSD's and see if they would initialize the Raid applet to start up during boot up but being water cooled this would be a ton of work and still no guarantee it would work.

Do some more searching and reading and see if I can find something.
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 2:10am
BTW, i remember that RAID support is probably broken with Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3xxx

Did you flash the new bios 1.60 with AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B from yesterday?

In the news last month from MSI:

The latest AMD Combo PI version 1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54) is coming soon, with. The BIOS for X570 motherboards will be ready for users to download and update in the end of October. The updated BIOS version supports Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G running in X570 platform. On the other hand, it also supports RAID function including SATA- and NVMe-based drives for X570 motherboards. We are still working hard on other existing lineup of 300- and 400-series motherboard and will be released soon in November.

Under test:
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:47pm
hmm heheh we are getting old fastrak

why dont setup raid on uefi instead or you'll boot on uefi mode instead of legacy

if you want the legacy route just do what it says on the manual

raid mode , csm enabled , raid rom enabled the Ctrl+R should appear and add a few more seconds to the boot

uefi method is

raid mode, csm disabled , raid controller inside of uefi
fasttrak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttrak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 7:32am
For Ray, yes I updated BIOS to 1.6 prior to installing Windows. Here is hoping the upcoming BIOS release fixes this, kind of a base feature of this mb and not able to get the raid controller to initialize and start up is pretty weird. Even on older boards if RAID was enabled and an onboard chipset it would initialize even if you had no assigned drives or drives set to a specific state. It used to be that the bitch of getting it setup was having Windows acknowledge there was a raid array to install to, new twist to an old theme.

gizmic, the last twenty years has me working more hours than farting around with hardware so I have fallen way behind on the current trends and UEFI is one of those standards I have only a passing understanding of. I was not even aware there were two ways to initialize the raid controller. It would appear I was going at in the legacy method and will make the next attempts from within the UEFI setup. See if that does anything to get the raid controller to startup prior to BIOS handing off duties to the boot drive.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 11:31am
uefi is way faster in boot it doesnt flash the raid drives at boot before loading windows

i'm not sure for aqua but on my board i need to go to the amd menus to futher enable Nvme Raid

hope you get it solved
rangulicon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rangulicon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 12:43pm
It's been hard to find proper information regarding RAID support for M.2 NVMe drives on the Aqua.

If I've read things correctly then the newer BIOS allows using RAID for M.2 NVMe SSDs and running them as boot disks while in RAID.

Can anyone confirm this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic