ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beebox N3000 Bios update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beebox N3000 Bios update
    Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 3:43am
Hi,
I just registered to ask one thing about last Bios update release 1.50

I tried in any way to update my bios but it was not successful in any way.
I tried Internet Flash from UEFI : the procedure stopped suddenly by itseff
I tried Instant Flash from UEFI and it came back to 1.30
I tried also DOS way using a USB pendrive but also this way even if it semmed to finish the flashing procedure then it came back to 1.30
Today I tried from Windows with ASRock AppShop and afetr the file was downloaded and the computer restarted there was just a black screen.
So I had to open the Beebox and short the Clear cmos pad.
Fortunately the computer restarted after clearing Cmos but again I have 1.30 version.

I don't think I will try again without any suggestion here.

Thank you
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 6:16am
Barry, I have to ask as it happens too many times. And this has been a contention of mine with the instructions ASRock provide on their BIOS download pages.

You must first unzip the Instant Flash(my preferred method) file "N3000-NUC(P1.50)ROM.zip" and extract the file "N300NUC1.50"

It is the N300NUC1.50 file that you want on the root of a formatted FAT32 USB stick. Place the stick in a native to the processor USB port and reboot into Instant Flash or enter the BIOS and use instant Flash from within.

Then Instant Flash will recognize, read, and then write/flash the N300NUC1.50 file.
sigfreund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigfreund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 2:38am
I too can not flash my N3000 to ver 1.5.  I made sure the flash drive was formatted to FAT32, placed the bios in the root directory.  It is located but as soon as I select it the system freezes.  Same results when I use the Internet Flash option in bios.  A bios is downloaded the root directory and again it freezes as soon as download is complete.  Strangely the size of the two files do not match.  Any suggestions?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 6:10am
Originally posted by sigfreund sigfreund wrote:

I too can not flash my N3000 to ver 1.5.  I made sure the flash drive was formatted to FAT32, placed the bios in the root directory.  It is located but as soon as I select it the system freezes.  Same results when I use the Internet Flash option in bios.  A bios is downloaded the root directory and again it freezes as soon as download is complete.  Strangely the size of the two files do not match.  Any suggestions?

Post a link to the file _you_ are downloading from please.

Also, some USB sticks are flaky when using Instant Flash. If you lay your hands on another, try with that one. Not the same manufacturer and size, preferably.

< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
sigfreund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigfreund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:39am
I have tried several USB drives from different manufacturer and of different size with no success.  The bios was downloaded through the ASRock Live Update Ap by specifying the USB as the temp directory and also downloading via the bios Internet Flash utility.  I made copies of both of these files before re-booting since they get automatically erased.  Is there a source to download the bios directly? 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 4:12pm
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/Beebox%20Series/?Model=N3000-NUC&cat=Download&os=BIOS

---

You must first unzip the Instant Flash(my preferred method) file "N3000-NUC(P1.50)ROM.zip" and extract the file "N300NUC1.50"

It is the N300NUC1.50 file that you want on the root of a formatted FAT32 USB stick. Place the stick in a native to the processor USB port and reboot into Instant Flash or enter the BIOS and use instant Flash from within.

Then Instant Flash will recognize, read, and then write/flash the N300NUC1.50 file.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Marc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:16pm
Hi,
I am having exactly the same problem as Barry described.
I try to flash the BIOS of my Beebox N3150 from v1.10 to v1.30.

I downloaded and extracted the file N315NUC1.30, put it in the root of a USB stick (FAT32) and started Instant Flash in the Bios. The moment I select the file the BIOS freezes and nothing happens. Mouse and keyboard don't work anymore and I have to pull the power and restart.
When using Internet Flash from the Bios the same file is downloaded but when the download is at 100% the BIOS freezes again.
I tried other USB sticks and other USB ports but nothing helps.
I also resetted the BIOS to it's Default settings and tried to flash but it always freezes.

I flashed hundreds of motherboards in my life this way but never experienced these kind of freezes, there must be something wrong with the BIOS hardware or maybe the flash file is corrupt?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 9:47pm
I've found that a small, 4-8GB, stick works almost all the time.

Format it and make sure there is only the BIOS file residing in the root. No other dirs or anything. Freshly formatted.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 9:53pm
Oh too, USB 2.0 port is imperative. But not 3.0.

All of my sticks above 32GB will not work. Odd. Unless it is how it reads or translated the larger sticks. I dunno, but an old and lowly 4GB 2.0 stick works every time using Instant Flash.

Don't use anything but Instant Flash!!
Marc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 10:04pm
The Beebox N3150 has no USB 2.0 ports, only USB 3.0.
I have been using several old 2GB and 4GB USB sticks (FAT16 and FAT32).

What worries me even more is the fact that I also had several random freezes when going through the BIOS menu's. The mouse was still moving but I couldn't select or change anything and had to pull the power. This Beebox has a serious BIOS problem!

edit: I just tried again with a fresh formatted USB stick (2GB) with no other files or folders: after selecting the file in Instant Flash the BIOS freezes. ;-(

Edited by Marc - 21 Dec 2015 at 6:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic