ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970M Pro 3 Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akirareturns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970M Pro 3 Problems
    Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 10:07pm
I just put this computer together for my son as a Christmas gift. I want to get everything set up so he can just boot it up on Christmas morning. I'm having a few problems with this motherboard.

ASRock 970M Pro3 - latest BIOS flashed
AMD FX-8150 @ Stock 3.6GHz
4.2GHz Turbo, Cool-N-Quiet, APM on
- CPU-NB @ 2200, HT @ 2400 (board doesn't support stock 2600 HT?)
G.Skill F3-12800CL9Q-16BRL 1600 MHz (2 sticks only / 8GB)
- 9-9-9-24-33 (XMP reads, settings don't stick)
Radeon HD 6870
Win 10 x64 Home
Seasonic 2TB HDD
EVGA 550W Gold PSU

I have full screen logo disabled so I can see BIOS POST. I'm getting an error for the system not booting previously. I had to remove a USB stick, but the message persists.

Using HWiNFO64 v5.10-2700 to read sensors, will try AMD Overdrive after a reboot.

The FSB is reading at 194 MHz when it is set to 200 MHz in the BIOS. RAM frequency is sitting lower than expected @ 777.3 MHz instead of @ 800 MHz because of this, also with loose timings @ 11-11-11-28-39 instead of @ 9-9-9-24-33 I have it set to in the BIOS. I thought the system might be having trouble with the RAM and tried overvolting it slightly to 1.525v with no luck.

Voltage control seems to have no effect on CPU or RAM at all, even with Turbo Core off, CNQ off, and APM off. CPU voltage sits high in BIOS, CPU runs hot because of this.

I tried with 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3 versions of BIOS, same problems.

How do I get the FSB to stay at 200MHz?
How do I get voltage settings to keep?
How do I clear the boot error?
How do I get RAM timings to stay?

Edited by Akirareturns - 21 Nov 2015 at 11:11pm
Akirareturns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akirareturns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 11:00pm
Turbo Core, Cool-N-Quiet, APM, Spread Spectrum are off.
Voltage set to 1.2625, seems to be staying there.
CPU set to 200 MHz FSB , x18 multiplier for 3600 MHz.
CPU reads 194.3 MHz FSB, x18 multiplier for 3497.7 MHz.

RAM is reported as running in single channel mode. Populated all 4 DIMM slots with the G.Skill 16GB kit mentioned above. Tested working on this CPU and an FX-8370 in a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.1. All 4 DIMMs are read. Single channel is still reported. Only 8GB of 16GB is usable by Windows. BIOS shows no option to set channel or bank interleaving as "enabled", only "auto" or "disabled" are options.
Manually set frequency and timings in BIOS for RAM at 9-9-9-24-33. Timings go to loose 11-11-11-28-39 timings, but multiplier goes to 4x correctly.

Boot error persists despite changing settings. Have set Windows Boot Manager, HDD, and UEFI as first boot device, only getting boot errors. No other drives connected. UEFI is able to boot after a dialog in POST with current config.

Edited by Akirareturns - 21 Nov 2015 at 11:13pm
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Akirareturns Akirareturns wrote:

AMD FX-8150 @ Stock 3.6GHz
4.2GHz Turbo, Cool-N-Quiet, APM on
- CPU-NB @ 2200, HT @ 2400 (board doesn't support stock 2600 HT?)

I checked my BIOS settings and the board doesn't indeed seem to support HT speeds beyond 2400. The plus side is that this shouldn't affect performance noticeably, as memory speed doesn't really matter apart from synthetic tests and some specific tasks. Btw, are you using the stock AMD cooler?

Quote EVGA 550W Gold PSU

On paper that EVGA unit should be enough (and I remember hearing good things about EVGA), but you have a power hungry CPU as well as a power hungry GPU, so have a more powerful PSU lying around, I'd try to plug that in and see if it helps.

Quote The FSB is reading at 194 MHz when it is set to 200 MHz in the BIOS. RAM frequency is sitting lower than expected @ 777.3 MHz instead of @ 800 MHz because of this, also with loose timings @ 11-11-11-28-39 instead of @ 9-9-9-24-33 I have it set to in the BIOS. I thought the system might be having trouble with the RAM and tried overvolting it slightly to 1.525v with no luck.

I couldn't find your memory is listed in the supported memory modules list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970M%20Pro3/?cat=Memory

Maybe the modules just don't agree with the motherboard? Just a guess, though. My memory modules aren't in that list either and they're working fine AFAIK.

Quote CPU set to 200 MHz FSB , x18 multiplier for 3600 MHz.
CPU reads 194.3 MHz FSB, x18 multiplier for 3497.7 MHz.

Check the values with CPU-Z, just to make sure the values aren't program dependent.

Quote RAM is reported as running in single channel mode. Populated all 4 DIMM slots with the G.Skill 16GB kit mentioned above.

Just to make sure: Did you populate the A2 and B2 banks? I believe those are the ones the manual says you should populate first (and you need to pair an A bank with a B bank to get dual channel mode working. Also check that your memory is running in unganged mode. You'll find that info with CPU-Z at least.

Quote Manually set frequency and timings in BIOS for RAM at 9-9-9-24-33. Timings go to loose 11-11-11-28-39 timings, but multiplier goes to 4x correctly.

If you can, try some other set of modules to see if the same thing happens. If possible, use modules that are listed as supported.

Quote Boot error persists despite changing settings. Have set Windows Boot Manager, HDD, and UEFI as first boot device, only getting boot errors. No other drives connected. UEFI is able to boot after a dialog in POST with current config.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you get a new boot error every time you boot, or does it show the old boot error again and again? I'm not sure if this would help, but at least for future reference if you at some point want to reset the BIOS and try updating it again:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

Edited by PetrolHead - 24 Nov 2015 at 5:57am
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 10:56am
No, the 970 chipset does not support 2600 HT. That's another reason I frown upon 970 boards that the manufacturers magically via BIOS update can say AM3+ support. Plain and simple, they don't. Limited to 2400 on a 970. See HERE.

Stay with BIOS 1.30

You state "I'm getting an error for the system not booting previously." . Is this persistent and the reason posting here an attempt to clear this? Or generally the whole 1st post contents? The error is probaly caused by not having gone into the BIOS and correctly setting the Boot Order. You had to pull the USB stick, so I'm guessing it's prolly still trying to boot from it.

Have you set the CR(Command Rate) at 2N/2T as req'd for this memory.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:02am
Tongue

And my hat's off to you Sir. Seasonic 2TB HDD. Impressive :p

And that's cool you building your son a computer for Christmas. Seasonic HDD or not. Cool!

Hang in there. Well get ya going there Dad.
Akirareturns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akirareturns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 2:33pm
PSU's fine, same results with the Corsair 860W PSU in my main rig. I ran that processor and 2 6870's in Crossfire on the 860W a while back. I'm reusing parts for his build.

I'm using the stock AMD cooler for the moment. I have a Corsair H60, but I want to get a fan on the VRM heatsink before I install that to reduce noise. I didn't expect to get much, if any overclocking done on this motherboard since it has a 4+1 design.

I'm aware the memory isn't on the supported modules list. I would expect the timings to stick when I manually set them in BIOS, but they didn't. Even if the timings won't hold, the RAM running in single-channel mode is the bigger problem. Only part of the RAM is available in Windows as well. All 4 DIMM slots are filled with the kit at this point, so it's not slot specific. I did put the memory in A2 and B2 when I was only running 2 sticks. Command rate has been at 2T the whole time.

HT is set at 2400 in BIOS, but running at 2000 as well.

Values were checked in CPU-Z and they match. I'll link at the end of the post.

I cleared the CMOS as the link suggested, but there is no change.

Setting things manually doesn't seem to have an effect on a number of things in the BIOS.

The HDD is a Seagate, not Seasonic. It's a 500GB, dunno why I thought it was a 2TB . I pulled it from my wife's previous PC.

Here's a screenshot: http://imgur.com/gqIFKZg

CPU-Z shows RAM in dual channel, but BIOS is reporting single channel on POST. Weird.

Edited by Akirareturns - 24 Nov 2015 at 2:43pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:37pm
According to the memory list, the availability of dual-channel with 4 modules may depend on the modules - or then it's just that ASRock hasn't tested with four modules and thus can't guarantee anything. In any case, I'd run MemTest86 and see what it says.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:02pm
Set the sticks timings manually, including a CR of 2

If that's an XMP Profile that is being set that produced those timings in the pic, it isn't setting the CR to 2. In CPU-z, if a CR isn't shown it is assumed CR is 1.

Or if it is an XMP Profile, if there is another to choose from choose it and look at the CR.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:10pm
And while my head's still clear this morning .........

I'm wondering if your 970's VRM's/BIOS is throttling itself due to heat. That would go a long way in explaining no changes you make are "sticking" properly.

Try manually lowering the CPU MHz wise to cool things off and retryy manually making some changes in the BIOS that stick.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:36pm
From what I understand, Akirareturns _has_ tried to set the timings manually. In any case the CR value has nothing to do with his issues. The timings are a lot looser than stock and even at stock settings the modules (as well as the IMC) can probably handle 1T. If not, that would result in instability, not changed timing values or lower-than-normal FSB clock speed.

Edited by PetrolHead - 24 Nov 2015 at 9:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic