ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 - M.2 Support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsuprano2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 - M.2 Support
    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 8:13am
Greetings,
I have a new build that I am putting together and wanted to check with the group about a component that I just ordered. I am using the following components in my build -

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12 TR4-SP3
Motherboard: ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card   
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold

I just ordered the Intel 66op 1.02TB M.2 drive and then checked the supported hardware list. I see the smaller version of the Intel 660 (512Gb) but not this one. I also see other 1Tb M.2 drives from other manufacturers.

What I am wondering is if I can expect to have problems with this drive? I can't imagine that I will as there isn't anything special about it so, I suspect that since it hasn't been tested and verified it just isn't on the list. Open to any support or comments!

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks in advance!
rewtdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewtdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:38am
I don't have any experience with your drive, but I just stuck a junk inland 256GB NVME drive in mine and has been running fine for 2 days now.

Just FYI, I have this same exact board. Are you having any issues with Windows 10 randomly locking up while idle? If so, I fixed it by applying a manual OC @ 3.5ghz and 1.15 volts on a Threadripper 2920x. It seems they will undervolt and lock up when the clock is on auto.
Tsuprano2019 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsuprano2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 4:25am
Thanks very much for the response. I am not done with my build but all my parts are ordered and I expect to have my rig running sometime in the coming week.

Thanks very much for the insight into the issue you had with the Windows idle mode! I am hoping to have everything run smoothly from the start but always good to have a backup plan for those challenges!

I am certainly looking forward to moving from my Phenom II to Threadripper (I wonder if I will notice the difference?)
Tsuprano2019 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tsuprano2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:39pm
Rewtdawg,
How are your CPU temps? I just got done putting all of the parts together and was doing a quick test to make sure everything fired up ok. I am waiting for a M.2 drive so I will not be using the rig for a few more days. That all being said I am a bit concerned about the temps I am seeing in hardware monitor in the BIOS.

My initial temps for CPU in the BIOS are showing 71.5 C under the hardware monitor tab. It seems really high but the system is responsive and seems to run fine.

I am not sure what BIOS temps should look like but this does seem excessive.

M/B temp is 29 C
V Core temps are between 26 and 28 C

If you have a minute and don't mind, I would be eternally grateful if you could check your temps and let me know if I am crazy high. Rig fired right up and seems fine but I don't want to burn my first Threadripper.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic