FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A88M-HD+ Question - Faster Memory than spec

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FM2A88M-HD+ Question - Faster Memory than spec
    Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:40am
Originally posted by melifleur melifleur wrote:

Saved !
Quite happy at the moment. 
Happy at seeing the option of up to 2400 MHZ DDR3 ram on the bios.
Even happier that my computer works at all. 

That makes two of us that is happy.

Glad it's running. Enjoy.
melifleur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melifleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 10:39pm
Saved !

So what I did is copy the BIOS onto the usb stick.
Then to overcome the freezes during POST I disconnected every device, hardrive, ssd, mouse, etc except the keyboard.
After that I can go into setup and updated the damn thing from usb.

Quite happy at the moment. 
Happy at seeing the option of up to 2400 MHZ DDR3 ram on the bios.
Even happier that my computer works at all. 
Was starting to think I will have to buy a new mobo instead of RAM come monday.

Edited by melifleur - 22 Nov 2015 at 10:40pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 8:06pm
Regardless where we end up here, I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH TIMES, DO NOT USE ANY APP OR OTHER WHIZ-BANG OPTION TO UPDATE WITH. NO MATTER HOW EASY OR CONVIENIENT IT APPEARS TO BE.

The KISS method always works. With your desktops Windows doing all it does behind the scenes, that is NOT the environment from which to flash a BIOS.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 7:59pm
Ok. Let's see if we can get you back running.

First, you did unzip the FM2A88M-HD+(3.10)ROM.zip file and extract the F288HDP3.10 file, right?

That .10 file is what you want on the root of a formatted FAT32 USB stick. This will get placed in a USB 2.0 port. 2.0 post, NOT 3.x port. This is important. 2.0

---

Failing that, it seems the BIOS flash went w/o a hitch as it asked you to reboot.

If the above Crashless BIOS doen't kick in and rescue you, try this.

Pull the power from the wall
press the cases power button once
pull the CMOS battery
jumper CLRCMOS1 to the Clear position, over pins 2 and 3

then let it sit this way for half an hour, or overnight if need be

re-jumper CLRCMOS1 to the normal Run position, over pins 1 and 2
replace the CMOS battery paying attention the writing stamped on it is facing up, away from the MB
button up anything else and close the case
plug back into wall power
and here it should boot right up and ask for you to enter the BIOS to make the necessary changes.

Let us know how it goes there, huh

Edited by wardog - 22 Nov 2015 at 8:00pm
melifleur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melifleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 4:29pm
Holy molly, I think I'm screwed.

Following the advice to update my bios I went ahead and download the bios updater for Windows since it is much more convenient than having to copy it to a flash drive and running it from uefi.

I ran the program and it asked me to reboot, I hit okay. During the POST it hang up, after waiting several minutes I rebooted. From then on the board is stuck during POST. It'd say "the system failed to boot several times" and offered to take me into SETUP or continue letting UEFI boot. Either way I chose the board would just freeze there.

I put the BIOS on the root of a fat32 usb drive and boot with it attached. Supposedly asrock crashless bios feature will automatically update the bios using the USB.nothing happened except the usual freeze during post

I'm guessing i'm screwed at this point. Any advice?

Edited by melifleur - 22 Nov 2015 at 6:36pm
melifleur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melifleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 2:52pm
Been using computer for over 20 years and it was only my second time having a RAM stick went bad on me. 

I am not sure about the exact cause but I live in a developing country where electricity is not very reliable, the ram could have been damaged by the unstable voltage. There was also a thunderstorm that went for days while I was out of town, when I got back home a lot of stuff are rather damp. Quite a few of my electronics went bad that day including my old motherboard.

Anyways, good to know that I can use the 2133 mhz memory stick. Thanks for the help.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 11:00am
"my ram went bad"

Dare we ask just why it went bad?

Here's a list of memory that G.Skill certifies to work on your motherboard.

As always, update your BIOS to the latest release revision available beforehand.

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=696&model=1757
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 5:42am
It might work but you will need to check the product page for the RAM to be sure it is supported by your board. You will need to overclock to achieve 2133 if it works on your board.
melifleur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melifleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 11:53pm
I have the FM2A88M-HD+ motherboard.
My RAM went bad and  come monday I'd like to order a replacement.

On ASROCK product page the spec says that this motherboard "supports DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066".
My CPU is Kaveri A8-7600 which supports up to 2133 DDR3.

If I were to buy a 2133 DDR3 would it run at max speed ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic