ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

.Upgrading the CPU on a Desktop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .Upgrading the CPU on a Desktop
    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 12:23pm
Hello,
I am using Win7 ulti on an ASRock B85M(CPUSocket) with an i5Haswell 4560,
Chipset Vendor: Intel, Chipset Model: Haswell, Chipset Revision: 06

The computer is 5 or 6 years old works finde, with a NVidia GeForce GT 630. I am NOT a gamer.
I download a lot, stream sports and occasionally convert a video.

I am thinking of getting a newer, faster i5 CPU.

For my needs, what CPU will make sense if I keep the B85M. Or should I replace both... if you suggest that, please, with what...

I am looking forward to your ideas
Thank you everybody, Ross

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 10 Dec 2019 at 3:25pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:10pm
Hi Rossdorn.

The answer depends entirely on budget and purpose. On a tight budget I would just
stick with what you have CPU and board wise. The Haswell i5 4560 is still a very
capable CPU and should be more than adequate for the use you described.

You are more likely being held back by other elements of your system, most
notably, RAM and storage. If you do not already have an SSD I would pick one up
they are dirt cheap these days and a 120gb SSD to run your OS and programs from
will make a huge difference to how snappy and responsive your system feels.
Likewise, if you are using less than 8gb of RAM then pick up a decent 8gb DDR3 kit
(2x4gb) and replace what you have with it. You could technically just pick up an
extra 4gb module and install that with whatever you have installed but better to
use a matched pair. Again, budget dependent.

So in a nutshell, get an SSD (if you don't have one already) and make sure you
have at least 8gb of RAM (adequate for non gaming applications). 16gb would be
good too if it's in your budget and be better for video conversion etc but not
critical.

Now if you are just looking to upgrade in general then your best bet would be a
complete upgrade. The cost of Haswell CPUs has not come down enough yet to be
worth the upgrade. For a similar price to a Haswell i7 (the only upgrade that makes
sense in your situation) you can pick up something like a Ryzen 5 1600 and a cheap
AB350 motherboard, you would then need to pick up a DDR4 RAM kit which would put
the cost up a bit but it would be worth it. Again however, make sure you have at
least 8gb of RAM and an SSD or you will not see the full benefit of the system.
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 4:12am
Thank you very much for your extensive answer.
First of all, I have two SSDs installed. I started out with an 250 when they were still quite expensive and an added a 500 2 Years ago. And I also have 8GB ram, as I do not game, I believe 8 should be enough for my purpose.
Am I wrong there?
When I though through answer I came to a conclusion, that the simplest idea, other than getting everything new, might be to just upgrade to an i7....?
Would a Haswell be the simplest to add? Is that possible with my:
ASRock B85M(CPUSocket) with an i5Haswell 4560,
Chipset Vendor: Intel, Chipset Model: Haswell, Chipset Revision: 06

What will I have to change?

If you wonder why all these questions... I am 72 and computers were not around when I grew up. I was almost 50, when we used "ring up modems"...

So, thanks again.
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 4:19am
After just making a quick check, there seen to be only used ones for sale... Is a used an acceptable option ???
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:19am
If you can get a used Haswell i7 for a decent price then it would be a reasonable
upgrade for you. With 8gb of RAM and SSD storage your system should be more than
up to the tasks you use the system for.

A Haswell i7 is a drop in replacement for your current CPU, just be sure whatever
i7 you pick up is compatible with your BIOS version, newer "Devil's Canyon" i7s
may require a BIOS update before you can use them. The 4790 and 4790k are both
designated "Devil's Canyon" as are the i5 4690 and i5 4690k.

Your motherboard's web page on the ASRock website will have compatibility lists
and BIOS updates available.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M/index.asp#CPU

As you can see, the 4X90/k CPUs all require BIOS version 2.20 or higher. Your board
is a B85 chipset board so don't waste your money on "K" CPUs unless they cost the
same or less than the non K variants. The "K" simply denotes overclockable but this
requires a Z87 or Z97 chipset so it would be wasted on a non overclocking board like
yours. That said, if the price is reasonable, the K versions are typically clocked higher.

You can also check out the Xeon CPUs your board supports. Any 4 core 8 thread
Xeon will perform more or less on par with an i7 of the same generation. Just
be sure to get the right version, in this case "v3". v2, v4 and v5 will not work
on your board.
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 8:54am
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I really appreciate this.

One thing I seem to misunderstand. You start with "...a used Haswell i7 for a decent price then it would be a reasonable upgrade for you.", but then "A Haswell i7 is a drop in replacement for your current CPU"

What do you mean by "drop"?
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 8:56am
So basically I am looking for i7 4770 ???
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:09am
I just did a first fast check and I came up with this one for about $140

Intel Core i7-4770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90GHz) ??Used CPU bulk product specifications ??Product category Used product Processor name Intel Core i7-4770 Core number 4 cores Number of threads 8 threads Operating frequency 3.4GHz (TBT time: 3.9) GHz) Compatible socket FCLGA1150 Memory type DDR3 and DDR3L 1333/1600 at 1.5V

Should this be suitable...? My BIOS is
American Megatrends Inc. Version     P2.60Date     17.12.2015

The replacement is simple and straight forward? Or what else will I have to know? It would use 85W, where can I check my desktop for that?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 1:41pm
That will work absolutely fine yes.

Drop in replacement = remove current CPU, insert new one with no need to change or upgrade anything else

Bare in mind that you will not notice any performance improvement in day to day
tasks like browsing and watching videos etc. Where you will see it is in encoding
and other thread heavy tasks. Like I said, for what you are doing with the system
the i5 you have is still a very decent CPU. Upgrading can be fun however and
simply upgrading the CPU is relatively simple and painless. If you are not sure
exactly how to do it, look for a good tutorial on youtube

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Dec 2019 at 2:06pm
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 4:04am
Thank you once again. Normally people are willing to help, but have problems coming across and answering the question that was actually asked.....
So this was a good experience. And yes, there are small "poblems" when converting videos to audio...

One final quickie:
The ASRock B85M is that low end? What would an upgrade do?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic