ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

J5005 ITX and PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balz333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J5005 ITX and PCIe SSD
    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:32pm
Hello together,

the above motherboard has 1x PCI Express 2.0 slot. Can I put in this slot a PCIe NVMe/AHCI SSD card and boot from there? Supports the BIOS this feature?

thx
Mario
balz333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balz333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:01pm
Is there no support staff from ASRock which read in this forum ? I need only this little information.

Thanks again.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:21am
Dear Balz333,

Thank you for posting your query to ASRock forum.
A great place to find the answers to your question.

Kindly be noted that the questions asked on the ASRock forum will be opened for discussion for a few days before answered by the tech support.
If direct support is preferred, please fill out the form from the link below:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp?ln=en

Let's get into your question, we have checked the J5005-ITX with the following configuration:
1. PCIe x1 to x16 riser card connected to the motherboard.
2. M.2 PCIe adapter connected to the riser card.
3. NVMe M.2 connected to M.2 PCIe adapter.

The system was able to boot into Win10 properly.
*Kindly be aware that different combinations of hardware connected to PCIe slot may have different results.

Hopefully, the information above helps.
With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 14 Jan 2020 at 11:34am
balz333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balz333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:11pm
Thanks for the detailed answer!

Regards
Mario
9d390ec9ea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9d390ec9ea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:35pm
Fabulous. I was about to ask exactly the same question, starting a new build in 2020.

I'm confident, an ASRock J5005-ITX will make a decent core of a small and effective NAS machine with general purpose server ambitions. It's all about the possibility, to hassle-free boot a NVMe M.2 SSD, adaptered into that PCIe 2.0 x1 slot. The resulting speed may be limited of course, but that's called secondary.

So, thanks too!
junajo85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junajo85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 6:06pm
Hello Asrock,

Reading this post make me to buy the J5005-ITX.

Also I wanted to boot from PCIe SSD, so I bought the following configuration and try to install Debian on it:

- M.2 PCIe PCI-E Adapter M.2 to PCI-E3.0: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07V5MWKSH
- Force MP500 Series M.2 SSD 240 GB: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07JW49VZD

The light of the controller is Blue, which means on.

The motherboard doesn't detect anything. And when I'm trying to do the installation of Debian, also it doesn't give me the opportunity to install in the SSD

Can you please indicate what is the issue here?
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:49am
Dear Junajo85,

Thanks for posting!

Checking the adapter that you have, it states that it supports the following M.2.

Samsung PM961, 960 EVO, SM961, PM951, SM951, INTEL 600P, LITE-ON T10 NVME-Protokoll M.2.

Try checking with the adapter's vendor to see if MP500 is supported.

Also, while the MP500 is installed, try boot into the system by using the SATA HDD/SSD and check if the system can detect the M.2 disk properly.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 02 Mar 2020 at 11:56am
elorimer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elorimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:16pm
I have tried booting FreeNAS from an ssd connected to a PEX-40064 adapter and the BIOS does not see the drive. I have also tried it with a different adapter with the same result.

FreeNAS boots fine when the ssd is connected to a motherboard port.

I was mostly interested in this because I was using all 4 motherboard ports for drives, and FreeNAS does very little read and writes from the boot drive, so it was better suited to the single lane PCIe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic