ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M Pro4 VS. Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPaRticH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M Pro4 VS. Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:13am
Greetings. I require some help with a Samsung Memory Module.

Board: ASROCK B450M Pro4
BIOS: P3.90 (flashed)
CPU:   AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core
GPU:   Radeon RX 570 Series

Now the Problem Candidate:
=============================
Samsung V-NAND SSD 970 EVO Plus (250GB)
=============================

The Windows does show a standard NVM Express-Controller in Devices , However - the NVMe Memory Module is not showing up in BIOS or in Windows 10. I want to point out that the memory module is fresh out of the box and I inserted it in the M.2 Ultra Slot (yes I know the other one is just SATA). I checked the ASROCK MANUAL THAT CAME WITH THE MOTHERBOARD and there I read that there is a list :( of supported devices for NGFF. Well, to make it short, the Memory from Samsung is not in the supported list. The manuals points out that I am supposed to look online for the updated list but I could not find it.

1) Please help me to find the updated list
2) If you can, promise me that there will be a BIOS update that makes the memory from Samsung compatible. I do not have another explanation for why it is not recognized by the system.

Maybe the Users of this Forum can send information which memory in M.2 NVMe they are using with the ASROCK B450M Pro4 and which is not on the list of compatible hardware. The thing is.. the hardware that is listed is sold out ^^.

Help is appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon!
SPaRticH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPaRticH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:35am
Maybe this information is useful:

=======================
Model Code: MZ-V7S250BW
=======================
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:06am
its compatible all nvme should work
Reset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 5:54pm
Have you installed the Samsung NVMe Driver?
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

SPaRticH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPaRticH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:39pm
Thank you for the response @Reset @gizmic!

I want to respond to this post and explain how I was able to overcome the problem of the hardware not being found by UEFI and Windows 10. Since there may be many people out there who have the same problem I want to explain the steps I did to solve the problem.

As a user who builds his/her own system with fresh components, a triple hurdle has to be overcome! The first mistake is that UEFI will not find the hardware because there is nothing on it. No MBR or GPT.

Windows 10 will boot my system configuration, but a look into the hardware manager will show that drivers for two devices are missing. That was my first mistake, I did not pay attention. After downloading drivers for the chipset of the B450M Pro4 motherboard at least all devices have been found and windows was showing me a standard NVMe device. HOWEVER, that is not enough, as @Reset pointed out, there are specific drivers on the Samsung-Website that needs to be downloaded and installed. Only then I was able to access the ssd from the windows partition manager. After I created a GPT on the 970 Evo Plus, it was finally showing up in the UEFI and with that it was possible to use that storage for installation of a windows 10 and linux.

======================================
STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO MAKE IT WORK :)

1. Download Drivers for your Board
  2. Download and install drivers for the 970 EVO Plus
  3. Reboot
  4. Create a GUID Partition Table (GPT)
  5. Reboot

6. Now your UEFI will be able to see the 970 EVO Plus and you will be able to install an OS on it. For linux users this may be even more difficult because a detour via windows must be taken.
    ======================================
Reset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 3:51pm
The easier way would be to install Windows 10 via USB stick and boot the stick via F11 as UEFI.
Then Windows 10 will automatically format in GPT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic