ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme7+ SATA3 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wranglersalberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme7+ SATA3 question
    Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:15am
Hello everyone.  I'm pretty new to this.  Please bear with me.  I will be setting up a dual boot machine.  One SSD (EVO 840) to run Windows 10 32-bit and another SSD (EVO 250) to run Win 64 bit.  I also have 2 Blu2-Rays players, and 3 internal HDD's for storage.  Now, having read the manual, such as it is, I think it is saying that I should hook up my 2 SSD's to SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 6GByte ports on the motherboard.  Is that right?

With respect to the Blue-Ray players, I should hook them up to the Serial ATA Express ports, or at this point does it matter where they are hooked up?  As for the HDD's I suspect that hooking them up to the Serial ATA Express ports would do?

Can anyone give me any advice as to whether or not I am going in the right direction with this?

Thank you so much.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:44am
Not to worry, the only stupid questions are the ones that are not asked. Thumbs Up

About your SSDs, yes you should connect them to the SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 ports, which are provided by the Intel SATA controller in the Z170 chipset. The Intel SATA controller will give you the best performance possible with your SATA SSDs.

Regarding your BlueRay players and HDDs, you mentioned the Serial ATA Express ports. SATA Express is a new interface that for each SATA Express drive, uses two standard SATA ports, plus one smaller specialized port unique to the SATA Express connection.

Currently, there are exactly zero SATA Express drives available. Your BlueRay players use the standard, single port SATA connection.

You may be confused with the way the SATA Express interface shares SATA ports with the standard SATA interface. I would connect the BlueRay drives to the SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 ports. Those two ports can be used with a single SATA Express drive, but are not only for use with a SATA Express drive. A standard single connector SATA cable will not fit in the smaller extra connector that is only used by a SATA Express connector.

Does this make sense to you? Your HDDs can be connected to the SATA3_2 and SATA3_3 ports. You can ignore the SATA Express labeling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic