ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New x570 Steel Legend won't boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildstar87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New x570 Steel Legend won't boot
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 1:03am
I have sent this information to ASRock tech support already, but thought maybe someone here might have an answer. Based on my experience, this probably is a long shot.

Brand new CPU, MB, Ram

Ryzen 3800X
G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR 32GB DDR4-3200
ASRock x570 Steel Legend

Can't get anything out of the display, diagnostic LEDs that stay on are Boot, and VGA. The VGA card is good, came out of a working system. Even then I tried a different VGA card, with the same results. Tried shorting CLRTC, moved the Ram to different slots, tried single stick, tried moving VGA card to different slot.

Lots of pretty lights on MB, and CPU Fan, but no dice on actually working. Been a long time ASUS user, but haven't really been that happy with the last few MBs, thought I would try ASRock, I'm starting to regret it at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:46am
Could you provide your full specs please, including PSU model and GPU(s).
Things you can try:

Make sure you have the 8pin CPU power connected
Make sure whatever display you are using works with the cable you are connecting with

Once we know your full specs we will be able to help more.
wildstar87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildstar87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:31am
Gigabyte Geforce GTX970
Corsair 750W Power Supply
Samsung 860EVO SSD 1TB

Both known working and good in a system (AMD 8350 Black Edition CPU) right before they were used with this motherboard.

Yes the 8 pin CPU power plug is also plugged in.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:37pm
Thanks

Your RAM lists the X570 Steel Legend on it's QVL so compatibility shouldn't be
the issue. The VGA debug light is what sticks out to me here. Is the card seating
all the way into the slot? Some cases are poorly designed and don't allow cards
to sit all the way into the slot, make sure the card(s) are sitting in the slot
properly, it could be the case is preventing it. That would explain why 2 different
GPUs gave the same issue.

If all else fails, pull the components out of the case and try assemble them outside
of it. Just CPU, 1 stick of RAM in the A2 slot and GPU with necessary power connectors.
Let us know how it goes.
wildstar87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildstar87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:00pm
Well, I inadvertently figured it out. There were two issues.

The Boot and VGA leds stay on regardless until you are booted into Windows, so that was sort of a red herring. They even stayed on when I was running through Memtest86.

The first start up takes MUCH longer as it seems that the bios is trying to autodetect settings, and the diagnostic leds will flicker through several cycles before settling. Eventually the display will turn on, and the splash screen will come up, and you can get into the bios.

I wasn't used to this behavior, as all the machines I have built in the past, the POST screen didn't take anywhere near this long to show up, usually indicating a problem of some sort.

After the settings have taken, and setting up optimal settings in the bios, getting through POST takes much less time, and I'm not even using fast boot.

This also happened after I updated the bios to 2.20, I thought it might have bricked it, inadvertently, but nope, it was just going through that first LOOOOONNNNNGGGG POST startup.

After all this, everything is up and running, and Windows 10 Re-Activation had a bit of a hiccup, SLUI.exe 4 no longer works to get the long installation key interface. They want you to put in the PID Key of the Windows 7/8 you upgraded from (if that's how you got Windows 10). Of course I had to call in to find this out, instead of it being part of the activation troubleshooter.

In any case, memory is running at rated speed, pretty lights are flickering (lol..), and things seem to be running smoothly at this point.

I know how people don't read manuals, but it still might behoove ASRock to put it in the manual or the FAQ that the first startup is inordinately long.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:43pm
Awesome, glad to hear you got it sorted.

Yeah, first post on a Ryzen system can take a while with the RAM training. This
is common to all AM4 boards, it's a quirk of the Ryzen memory controller. As you
noted though, once it has set everything up it posts much quicker again. Any time
you clear CMOS or restore defaults it will do this (including updates). Once you
know about it, it isn't a big deal

Enjoy the build
Auggybendoggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auggybendoggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:22pm
Really glad I found this. I went through the same issue and had thought plugging in a graphics card was the solution. It probably had finished this long initialization process and I didn't know it. I'll def keep that in mind.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic