ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cannot get Windows 7 to install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:22am
You said:

"If the USB mouse/keyboard is supported when operating in the BIOS, then obviously the firmware of the motherboard has that capability, why cannot that capability not then also be used during any installation process ?"

I am assuming you mean clean installing Windows 7 then upgrading to Windows 10. I believe you are right that the firmware can read mouse and keyboard inputs via either USB or PS/2. However, inside the Windows, drivers are needed to communicate with hardware. As Xaltar stated above, all USB communication, whether USB 2.0 or USB 3.0, goes through the USB 3.0 circuitry on the motherboard. AS Windows 7 does not natively have drivers for this circuitry, it cannot communicate with any USB peripherals. If you could get the AMD chipset drivers from here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/a320

and install them, then your USB keyboard and mouse would operate. As you stated you do have PS/2 keyboard and mouse, this adapter might work, but I am not sure:

https://www.newegg.com/beige-startech-6-others/p/N82E16812200078

Perhaps someone here might know, or opening a ticket with Asrock support might clear this up. Sorry for being long winded.

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic