ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 extreme6 won't let me OC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomobon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 extreme6 won't let me OC?
    Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 5:15pm
I'm having a really weird problem with trying to OC within the bios or even A-Tuning software.

So, I go into bios, go into cpu settings, change cpu ratio from auto to all, and set it 45(or any number).  After that I don't really change anything but disabling intel speed step and intel turbo boost, as I'm trying to remove variables to dial in my OC.  However, whenever I disable turbo boost the cpu ratio switches itself from all(set at 46) back to auto.  So, I go ahead and try to change the ratio back from auto to all(at 46).  I press enter, it seems happy and the ratio stays at 46.  I go back down to turbo boost and it's somehow enabled again...so I disable it and go back to cpu ratio and guess what...back from all to auto.  If I leave turbo boost it will let me keep the cpu ratio setting, but I'm afraid to leave turbo boost on.

I've tried reinstalling the 1.70 bios update and even downgrading to 1.60 but the issue remains.  Is this how the motherboard is supposed to work or is something going on with my bios?  I just finished building this computer today and everything else seems fine.  Just to put it out there this isn't my first build nor my first time overclocking, but everyone can make mistakes, but this seems really odd to me.

I'm afraid to run any tests with turbo boost on.  I don't know if it will try to boost the cpu ratio causing my system to crash or even worse try to up my voltage(although vcore is set to fixed) and just fry everything.

A-tuning doesn't seem to work either.  I try to set the ratio to 46 and apply it, but the core speed never moves from 35. Although, I always used bios to overclock so I have no experience with this software.

Any idea why this is happening?

edit:  My processor is a i5-6600k. 
edit.v2:  Tried to run off the backup bios and it does the same thing.

Edited by tomobon - 28 Nov 2015 at 6:04pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 2:33am
It always surprises me that people are still using the pre-Sandy Bridge CPU era methods of over clocking. Of course, some of the mother board manufactures did not help, by not educating their customers, instead of pandering to what they "knew" was right, even when it was wrong.

Sorry for the editorial, which was not specifically aimed at you. This situation is an interesting story. But first...

In order to OC your Skylake processor, you MUST enable Turbo Boost!

That is true for Skylake, Broadwell, Haswell, Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge processors.

Your Skylake processor uses what Intel calls Turbo 2.0. Once you OC your CPU with the core multipliers set above the base clock speed, Turbo 2.0 will NOT boost the multipliers beyond the multiplier you are using. If you set the multipliers to 45, the highest speed you will get from your CPU is 4.5GHz.

Next, you do not need to disable SpeedStep. Actually, on some boards disabling SpeedStep will also disable Turbo 2.0, and prevent you from over clocking.

I have my i5-6600K over clocked to 4.4GHz, Turbo enabled of course, and I have ALL of the CPU power saving options enabled. At idle the CPU is at 800MHz, and under load the cores run at 4.4GHz, or at various speeds in between those two, depending upon the load. You don't need to use all the power saving options like I do, but just an example of how they do not interfere with an OC.

As long as Turbo is disabled in the UEFI/BIOS, you won't be able to OC in the UEFI, or using A-Tuning in Windows.

If you think I'm crazy... that's Ok. But just give it a try. Geek

One more thing. Some people have had problems over clocking with the Z170 OC Formula board. I'm not certain why that is, but it is caused by something else besides disabling Turbo. If you still have problems with your OC after you enable Turbo, we will work with you to get it working.

tomobon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomobon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 6:14am
Ok, I see.  As long as it won't go over my set cpu ratio that's fine..  I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic