ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bios fatally linux unfriendly z390 Taichi ultimate
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bios fatally linux unfriendly z390 Taichi ultimate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bios fatally linux unfriendly z390 Taichi ultimate
    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:28am
Yes. What the title says, the bios makes my gaming pc a brick.
Apci error "cannot get size"

That error is causing my os-lacking pc to not get past any ubuntu lts installer. Tried all fixes except update bios as mine is at lateat. (P4.00)

I do not want to have to buy another board just for os reasons. Yes i got every part new, 8086k processor, and samsung 1tb ssd reads right in bios.

I tried many fixes on the net, but none worked so that makes this an asrock question rather than linux. All info of similar errors is for duel booting not ubuntu only. How do i fix this? Tried legacy and uief modes all point to "cannot get size" secure boot on or off. If unifxable @ asrock_Support when will a bios update be released to make my motherboard not a brick?

Edited by Xaltar - 15 Feb 2020 at 7:39pm
Snowarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:29am
Edit: this forum is confusing, but title was supposed to be "Fatally linux unfriendly
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 7:50pm
Fixed the title for you.

The board is not bricked unless it won't allow you to POST or update the BIOS.
The term is rather specific when in reference to motherboards

All I can think of is performing a full CMOS clear (clear CMOS switch on the
motherboard) + disconnect power and pull the CMOS battery for about 10mins or so.
Make sure you press the power button with the system disconnected from power to
properly discharge all the capacitors in the PSU and on the board.

If that doesn't help then contact ASRock Tech Support:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

I had a quick search and the error seems to be with the Linux kernel not liking
your UEFI db table. Considering the numerous people that have installed and run Ubuntu
on the Z390 Taichi Ultimate without issues I suspect the board/uefi itself
isn't the issue. Maybe try Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04, I found a few comments on
linux forums where users with your board successfully installed and ran these
versions.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 7:57pm
I guess it could be possible that a recent exploit fix introduced in a BIOS update
could be behind the issue. ASRock Tech Support should be able to help you identify
the issue. Bare in mind however that linux is not officially supported by ASRock
(or any board manufacturer) due to the sheer number of different distros out there.
If they can't help then post back here and we can look into some options.
Snowarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:06pm
Their support thing is bugged for me. Filled in all the red fields, and... It said something wasnt filled, so theres no such way to adk for help. Cleared cmos a few times early on, no diffrence. I came from a celeron laptop and never had this issue, ubuntu just worked. Same ubuntu version too.
Snowarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:11pm
I came from a quadcore laptop with asus board, no issue on it with same ubuntu version i want on the non-osable pc in question.
Snowarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:13pm
The thing, turning secure boot on and off got rid of "cannot get uief db" forever. namespace error, then cannot get size are all i cannot get past.
Snowarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:36pm
And i tried 16/18 same error all times
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic