ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sudden power off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iainhallam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sudden power off
    Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 7:01am
I've just built a new system with ASRock E3C226D2I and a couple of SSDs. I was part way through the installer for CentOS 7, when the system suddenly powered off.  BMC LED1 ends up flashing each time it does this, and the board power light stays on, so the PSU isn't cutting out completely. I sat watching the BIOS hardware monitor after letting it cool down, and the next time it powered off, the CPU temperature was 30 degC, motherboard only 25 degC, so I don't think it's temperature. After the power off, though, there is often a very brief flash of the system's power LED and the CPU fan jerks slightly. To get it to start again, I have to remove power from the system.

My suspicion is currently with the PSU, but I don't have a spare to test it with at the moment.

Is there any significance to the BMC LED1 flashing? It seems difficult to find information on this.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by iainhallam iainhallam wrote:

My suspicion is currently with the PSU, but I don't have a spare to test it with at the moment.

Is there any significance to the BMC LED1 flashing? It seems difficult to find information on this.

I would cast suspicion on the PSU for it behaving this way too.

Yet seeings you've just built I would here also suspect a temperature problem first. If you can yet get into the BIOS for a minimum of time I would look at what the temps are running as and proceed accordingly by having discovered the temps.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 8:30pm
Also, you can test the power supply with a tester like the one shown on the following site:

http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=PS-228&details=features&subcategory=powertester&category=powertester

I've use a tester like this to check power supplies, and these testers work just fine.  Maybe you can find one at your local vendor.  These don't cost much and take the guess work out of the equation, and also you don't have to buy another power supply just for testing.

Dan
SparkFast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SparkFast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:19am
I have heard reports that sometimes the metal leads from the motherboard thru-hole components (components that go through the PCB and protrude on the back) can be longer than expected. If they touch the back of the case, they can cause a short that might cause the power supply to shut-down / latch-off. Make sure there are no leads on the back of your board that could possible touch the computer case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic