ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z170 pro4 usb3 ports not working with seagate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tredstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z170 pro4 usb3 ports not working with seagate
    Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 12:59am
i have just purchased a new pc and it has a asrock z170 pro4 motherboard installed . my problem is that i have a seagate 2tb backup slim external hd  and when i connect it to any of the rear usb3 ports strange things happen such as when i am transfering a movie on to my seagate the transfare stops half way through and and my windows 10 start button becomes unresponsive and my clock vanishes and i have to press the reset button on the front of my pc. when i use another usb3 port on the rear the speed of the transfer is very slow . the two usb3 ports on the front of my stryker case work fine . the only other drive i had to test was a sandisk extreme flashdrive and it works on all the usb3 ports that the seagate did not . i have checked the seagate for errors using the seagate utility software and it passes all the tests. do i have a faulty motherboard ? if so i will have to return this pc back to zoostorm as they are the ones who built it . any help would be great . and just to clarify , my previous hp envy pc which i had until 5 days ago worked fine with the seagate .i looked on the asrock website and i dont see any usb updates for my motherboard  can anyone help me with this problem ? i am using windows 10 by the way

Edited by tredstone - 02 Dec 2015 at 2:16am
tredstone
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 6:25am
What's the specific Model Number of the Seagate External? Some of those exhibited sleep issues and was "cured' with a firmware update from Seagate.

Did you install X-Fast USB? If so, uninstall it, reboot, and retry.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
tredstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tredstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 9:40am
hi
no i never installed x-fast and the seagate works fine on my other computers . one of the rear usb ports supplies power because i plugged a keyboard in and it worked fine, i then tied my sandisk extreme flash drive and nothing happened it did not even register  on the pc but the led was lit up on the drive. the model of my seagate is srd00f1 .

Edited by tredstone - 02 Dec 2015 at 9:42am
tredstone
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 3:41pm
Quote the only other drive i had to test was a sandisk extreme flashdrive and it works on all the usb3 ports that the seagate did not .

then later you say

Originally posted by tredstone tredstone wrote:

i then tied my sandisk extreme flash drive and nothing happened it did not even register  on the pc but the led was lit up on the drive.

Please. It can't be both. Does the Sandisk work on all ports or not? This matter big time.
tredstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tredstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 6:35pm
yes i know i am getting confused myself , there are 6 usb3 ports on the back of my pc .only two seem to be working properly for the seagate , that leaves 4 usb3 left , 3 of which work with the flash drive and the last one does not work at all with either drive but all six do supply power because i plugged my led keyboard in all of them to test . its strange . two of the usb ports were hidden at the top i did not see them the first time around.

Edited by tredstone - 02 Dec 2015 at 7:10pm
tredstone
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:50pm
For starters, be easy with plugging and unplugging USB devices. That can and usually does make a mess under Windows hood and behind the scenes.

Boot into Safe Mode and using the flash drive and "Safely Eject' test each of the ports that they can recognize, read, and write to the flash drive.

Post back the results.
tredstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tredstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:17am
thanks for your reply. i decided to reset the pc back to factory defaults and it seems to have fixed the issue. the only slight problem is i use a usb extension dock it works on all 5 of the rear usb3 ports but on the sixth  it does not work correctly but if i directly plug the drive in to the usb without the extension it works fine .i dont know why that  port will not play nice with the extension
tredstone
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:56am
Oh a dock. No mention of that prior, unless you WERE plugging the disk and flash direct.

Docks can sometimes do exactly what you're experiencing there. No rhyme or reason either.

Anyways, good to hear you got it sorted. Enjoy.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:57am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

No rhyme or reason either.

OC'ing a bus may have been your sole issue though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic