ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme 4+ Suspend to RAM issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Askannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme 4+ Suspend to RAM issue
    Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 2:45am
Hey guys,

I have some issues with my Z170 Exreme 4+ (FW 1.90) board when it put it to sleep with suspend to RAM.
I am using Win10. Putting it into sleep seems to work ok. It shuts off like it should be.
But it wakes up without me doing anything after about 10 seconds and it shows the POST screen. And once POST is done it doesn't even reboot the OS but it powers off again and then wakes up after another 10 seconds only to go into POST again. This now keeps on happening in a infinite loop and I have no way of breaking the loop other than clearing CMOS.

I tried to play around with setting like "Deep Sleep" in a ll different options and also different ACPI weakup settings. The only time this is not happening is if I disable all ACPI weakup options. But then I can't get the box out of stand-by at all. When I press the power button it just does a regular boot and Windows complains that it was shutdown incorrectly.

Any ideas or anybody happens to experience similar issues? Other than this the board has no issues and Win10 works very well with it.

CPU: i7-6700
MEM: 4x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200
GPU: GTX 760
HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB

Thanks
Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 7:10pm
Askannon,

The following site has a complete listing of troubleshooting steps for identifying computer sleep problems.  The steps apply to Windows 10 and prior.  There's a lot of information there, so read carefully and take your time:

You may have to copy and paste the link into your browser address window.

Dan

Edited by Xaltar - 02 Dec 2015 at 7:13pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 9:25pm
After the OS installation, depending on how you did it, have you gone back in and disable "PS/2 Simulator" when done?

Are you using a gaming type KB there?
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 9:28pm
Not that it's relevant here but I see ASRock dropped a new BIOS for your MB today, Dec 2 2015.

P2.00, which should incorporate L1.93 BETAs "Phase-in DDR4 OC (Non-Z OC) new boot logo"
Askannon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Askannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 2:26am
Ok, first off thanks for the help!

PS/2 emulation was never enabled since setup worked fine without it.

So I have upgraded FW to version 2.00 but it doesn't solve my issue. I have a wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse connected through the one Logitec Unified Receiver.
So I am aware that this might cause issues and pull the PC from S3 STR state. But the main issue is really not that it is waking up without me doing anything (that would be easy enough to debug thanks to the article Dan provided) but that once it wakes up from S3 STR it goes into that infinite loop POST->restart->POST->restart that can only be broken with clearing CMOS.

What is working now seems to be Hybrid Standby (is that S4?) through setting "Allow Hybrid Sleep" to "On" in the Win10 energy management options. But also only if I disable all ACPI weakup options in UEFI. So I can basically now click "Standby" in Win10 while applications are open. System will shut down. I can press the main power button and the System will boot up with all applications restored.

Now all that is left to do would be to make this work with the "Allow Hybrid Sleep" option "Off" since I don't want the state to be written to disk but only keep in RAM. And since I usually don't cut the power to the system completely S3 STR would be very much desired.

Any other ideas? Looks to me like a UEFI bug?

Thanks again!

Edited by Askannon - 03 Dec 2015 at 2:27am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 2:56am
Hmmmm...

Is A-Tuning installed?

Are you OC'ing?

Pushing any extra V's to those four sticks or to the IMC?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 6:16am
Run these each with an elevated(Admin) command prompt

powercfg -lastwake
(Obvious. Returns what device woke the system last.)
Maybe just maybe whatever is causing the loops gets logged anyways. Fingers crossed.

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
(Returns what devices are allowed and or configured to wake the system)

Also, I'm guessing it's OC'd. And most likely not stable enough for STR. Take things back to stock and retest STR that it comes out of STR ok.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 6:49am
Here's a full list of powercfg command line options

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/?get_group_doc=6/1317236549-PowercfgCommand-lineoptions.pdf
(In pdf form if that makes it easier. I've since just printed it out)

and

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940(WS.10).aspx

But I think you still need to see if it is doing the same at stock. I'm betting it doesn't.
Askannon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Askannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:31pm
Sorry to disappoint but I am not OC'ing at all. CPU, RAM and GPU are all running stock clocks, volts, etc.
If I had any desire to OC then I'd do so after the system has been running stable on stock settings for some time. But since the STR is not working I haven't gotten to the OC fun yet.

I already tried to check if the BIOS would log what is waking from STR after I break the endless loop with clearing the CMOS but I guess that also clears what woke it last since powercfg doesn't list anything.
Intel Core i7-6700
ASRock Z170 Extreme 4+
4x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200
Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Fractal Design Define R5
Askannon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Askannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 1:58am
Ok, the issue is caused by the PSU. I swapped out the "be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W" for my older "be quite! Pure Power 7 530W" and STR started to work right away.
Odd because the 400W should be more than enough for my new system. I even removed the GPU completely and used the on-chip Intel 530 GPU from the Core i7 and thus reducing the power requirement to less than 150W total and still S3 doesn't work with the 400W unit.

So I guess the PSU may be faulty and I'll get it RMA'ed.

Thanks again for everybody's help.

Cheers
Intel Core i7-6700
ASRock Z170 Extreme 4+
4x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200
Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Fractal Design Define R5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic