ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Steel Legend Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Steel Legend Build
    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:28pm
Hi all,
I'm new here, so I hope this is the right forum.

Jut a little background.
I have a little issue with a build I did a few months ago.
I've always built my own PC's but, not for many years now.
When I wanted another tower unit, I was a little out of touch, so I asked my son who is heavily into PC gaming for some help.
I wanted the machine for graphics, CAD, Virtual Machines, office stuff, some coding, and video editing, but not gaming really.
He persuaded me to look at gaming kit because he knew it, and his rationale was that if it would run a high spec game well then it should do what I needed.
Which made sense.

So we worked up a spec, and looking at value for money, and availability at the time, I opted for the Z390 Steel Legend motherboard, I had previously (many years ago) had issues with AMD processors, so I had decided on the intel route, and picked the i9-9900k.
RAM wise I went for Corsair Vengence 2x32GB sticks.
The RAM is CMK66GX4M2D3000C16.
This was in the compatibility lists for both motherboard and processor.
HDD is a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe-M.2

When I built the machine it was very laggy & slow, jittery mouse movements, ages to open programmes.

I was running the default BIOS settings though.
Ran CPU-id and the processor & RAM were running slow.
It was quite easy for the processor, the MB recognised it could be clocked to 5GHz and was quite happy to do that.
The issue is setting the RAM speeds.
I am pretty convinced that my remaining issues are due to the RAM settings.
I played around a little in the BIOS, and got things a little better, but not much.
I would put some screen shots of the CPU-id results, but I don't know how.
Is there anyone who can give me some guidance please on setting up the RAM in the BIOS.
Every time I seem to make changes the system won't boot, and I end up having to go back to default BIOS settings.

Sorry for the long message, I hoped that including the information now, might help make things clearer.
Any help and guidance appreciated.
Paul
Rheaun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rheaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:58pm
First unplug and check that cpu cooler/fan is seated properly as well as pulling out and re-inserting ram. Look for loose plugs.
Then check fans when power is on.
Sidewinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:27am
Hi,
CPU & cooler have been checked and are OK.
All fans are running OK.
Ram has also been removed and refitted.
No change.

It seems to be to do with the memory settings in the BIOS.
My problem is I don?™t know enough about all the options and the different available settings.
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic