ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 beeps and no output on b450m/ac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfish4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 beeps and no output on b450m/ac
    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:06pm
Just building a new pc and cant get it to POST, constantly getting 5 beeps
My specs are:

motherboard: asrock b450m/ac
cpu: ryzen 5 3600
cooler: bequiet pure rock slim
memory: gskill ripjaws 16gb kit 3200mhz
gpu: gtx 970
hdd: intel 660p 1tb
psu: corsair rm 650

I have tried various configurations, without gpu, with different gpu, without ssd, usually just beeps 5 times. Without any ram i get no beeps though.

Also tried reseating the cpu and checking for bent pins, they were all fine.

Really at a loss for what this could be. Will try with another psu and the other pcie slot though

ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:16pm
5 beeps can either be cpu or gpu I believe .. make sure your GPU is properly seated in the pcie slot .. sometimes cases don't line up exactly and it takes a bit more force to get that video card to "click" in ..

I'd pull everything out of the case and layout on a non-conductive surface and plug in your cpu/memory, vid card and psu and see if it will post ..if you are not use the stock backplate for your cpu heatsink, make sure it's not grounding out anything.
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:33pm
What BIOS version is on your board, there should be a white sticker with the
version printed on it stuck on your BIOS chip. If it is not Ryzen 3000 ready that
could be your problem. Ryzen 3000 has a new PCIe back end.
chickenfish4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfish4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:43pm
My board has the ryzen 3000 desktop ready thing on it and i checked the bios list all of them support on for that board. So i should be ok there

Fair point about the cpu cooler, could give the stock cooler a go.

Tried my other psu and using the second pci slot for the gpu, still got the 5 beeps.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:20pm
Try the other PCIe slot. 5 beeps means the system isn't detecting the GPU. Also,
if you have not already, clear CMOS. It may help to pull the battery with power
pulled from the system for 10 - 15 mins.
chickenfish4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfish4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:07pm
Tried the other pci slot and pulling the cmos for a while, still get the 5 beeps. I'm thinking its a cpu or motherboard issue at this point since i have tried multiple graphics cards and multiple power supplies
gcw01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcw01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:19am
I'm a newbie to this forum but found this conversation thread as a result of a google search.
I'm just wondering if the issue with the 5 short beeps was ever resolved as I am experiencing the exact same problem.
I have a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 uP in a ASRock B450 Pro4 and I get 5 short beeps on power up. I've tried removing the graphics card (MSI RX5700XT GAMING X), disconnecting various peripherals (USB-3, USB-2, SATA drive), I've removed CPU heatsink and fan and reseated processor, every time I get 5 short beeps. The ROM-BIOS has a label with "P4.20".
Do I have a bad CPU? If the CPU is not executing any instructions then how is the 5 short beeps sequence generated? Is there a micro-controller on the board that performs the POST to check that the main CPU is functioning correctly?
Or, is this a failed motherboard?

Thanks in advance.
gcw01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcw01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:12am
After reviewing the specifications for the B450M Pro4 on the ASRock web site I noticed that the two DIMMs needed to be installed in slots A2 and B2. I had them in A1 and A2. Once I'd corrected the DIMM locations and plugged everything back into the motherboard it booted successfully and have installed the OS. So, all is now working.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic