ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock z68 Code 97

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelTorefas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock z68 Code 97
    Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:34pm
My computer is almost 4 years old, but it is all I have for right now. I am currently having issues with the ASUSTek P8Z77-V PRO I bought to replace this system's original motherboard (due to a damaged PCIe slot), an Asrock z68 Extreme4 Gen3. However, when I switched back to the Asrock board to do some troubleshooting to ensure that the P8Z77 is indeed the cause of my problems, I ran into a new issue.

When I power on the computer with a video card in the top PCIe slot (the only accessible and functioning slot), it doesn't work. I have tried both my video cards. The Radeon HD 7970 (which I originally used in this system) simply is not detected. The computer boots fine but only gives video from the onboard graphics. On the other hand, with the Radeon r9 280x in the slot the computer will not even load to BIOS, and the LED on the motherboard shows code 97 (meaning a problem with the output device).

The thing is, before I switched out the z68 for the P8Z77 in the first place, the r9 worked fine in the top slot. (The 7970, on the other hand, hasn't worked in the top slot in a long time, and used to only work in the middle slot, before the middle slot got destroyed in shipping.)

I really want to get this working so I can test my video card(s) on this motherboard and hopefully finally figure out the issues my computer has been having (either by ruling out the other motherboard as a problem or verifying it as the problem). If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, because I have no idea what to do from here, and my searching here and on Google/other forums has been in vain.

Thanks.

(Edit: Note that both video cards/all the other components seem to work in the P8Z77, there are just severe frame-skipping issues in games and videos, which is what I am trying to troubleshoot with all this switching things around.)

Edited by MelTorefas - 04 Dec 2015 at 10:35pm
MelTorefas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelTorefas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:25am
After trying a different set of PCIe cables, the video card began working. The issues I was having with frameskipping persisted, though, ruling out the motherboard as the problem, so I guess I am done as far as this forum goes.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 2:58am
By what you just said about the PCIe cables I would guess that your power supply is dying. The first thing I would check from here would be replacing that. Frame skipping could easily be caused by the GPU throttling due to inadequate or unstable power. I am sorry I did not reply sooner, I must have missed your post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelTorefas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:06pm
First of all, thank you for the reply, belated or not! I'm sorry for the my own very delayed reply... I admit I never checked back, since my problem was resolved as far as the original issue went. Or so I thought until recently.

As I said before, I was using the Asrock z68, but as frameskipping has become worse I decided to switch back to the p8z77-v pro. I discovered that the system would not boot if one of my two ram sticks was installed, the ram LED would just stay on. With just the other stick, it worked. But the system began to power itself on and off repeatedly, and the power button stopped working. This had happened a couple times before when using this board, before I switched back to the z68, which never had that problem.

The power issue would usually be resolved if I applied some pressure to certain areas of the case (right around where the power button is), so I thought there must be a short there. This time, that didn't help as much, so I explored further and discovered that applying pressure to the video card would affect it, either making it power cycle or sometimes stabilizing it enough to boot. Sometimes it would run for hours, other times a few minutes, but it would always start power cycling again. I removed the video card, and the power issues vanished.

I am wondering if this is proof of what you suggested, that the PSU is dying, or if it is possible this is some kind of short in the motherboard, maybe around the PCI slots where the video card goes (since it is heavy enough to exert pressure). Then again, it might have been moving the PCIe power cords that had the effect, for all I know... at any rate, given that this problem didn't happen at all with the z68 board, I wanted to hopefully get your thoughts on this before I go ahead and assume it is the PSU dying, if you are still available.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelTorefas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:55am
Further update: after working fine all day yesterday, the pc would not power on this morning. Applying pressure to the pcie slot will still make it power cycle, even empty. At this point I don't know if it is the motherboard, psu, or some combination.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 4:11am
Originally posted by MelTorefas MelTorefas wrote:

Further update: after working fine all day yesterday, the pc would not power on this morning. Applying pressure to the pcie slot will still make it power cycle, even empty. At this point I don't know if it is the motherboard, psu, or some combination.

That is not a good sign. IMO it's time for a new motherboard, as applying pressure to only a PCIe slot and the results are are you described it appears, from here and my experiences, that the board is ready to give up the ghost and near ready to pass into Motherboard Heaven.

These are my personal thoughts and understanding from what you describe.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelTorefas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 6:12am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

That is not a good sign. IMO it's time for a new motherboard, as applying pressure to only a PCIe slot and the results are are you described it appears, from here and my experiences, that the board is ready to give up the ghost and near ready to pass into Motherboard Heaven.

I am guessing you are correct, here. I am going to switch back to the z68 and, assuming it still works as it has been, I am going to return the p8z77-v pro (which I thankfully purchased the warranty for). Still hoping that at some point I will end up with an actual fully functioning motherboard.

UPDATE: Reinstalled the z68, everything appears to be working fine now (aside from the original frameskipping issues). I noticed that the p8z77-v wouldn't boot with one of my two RAM sticks in it, while the z68 seems to boot fine with it. Not sure if that means the RAM is ok and it was just one more issue with the other board, or what.

Edited by MelTorefas - 02 Feb 2016 at 8:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic