ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99M Extreme4 and X99 Extreme3 not booting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottgus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99M Extreme4 and X99 Extreme3 not booting
    Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 12:12am
I ordered these parts for two new pc builds:

One PC has the X99M Extreme4 (BIOS P1.80) and the other has the X99 Extreme3 (BIOS P1.40)
(I wanted to get two of the same but the store ran out on Black Friday). The intent with 2x16GB memory sticks was to allow another 2x16 set if we needed to go to 64GB.

When I turn the builds on, the Xtreme4 shows a DrDebug code of B0 (memory problem), and the Extreme3 just toggles on and off.

Troubleshooting, I found that the Asrock website says these motherboards require RDIMM memory. Turns out the G.Skill is UDIMM. Is this a problem? (Crucial's memory finder offers UDIMM memory for these boards, and in a chat they say they successfully tested these boards with UDIMM memory.) And FWIW, the "G.Skill F4-2133C15Q-32GRR" mentioned on the Asrock X99 Extreme3 memory list shows as unbuffered on the G.skill website (http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2133c15q-32grr).
I also did a forum search and found a brief mention of some folks running another X99 version board and having problems running 2x16GB earlier this year. Is the 2x16GB the problem?

I find that non-ECC memory (for the I7 cpu's) doesn't seem to come in RDIMM.

Can I use UDIMM on these boards, and do I have to give up on 2x16GB and go to 4x8GB?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 12:59am
Welcome to the forums.

Try using a single module of RAM and make sure it is seated properly then clear CMOS using this method for both systems. If this fails then try the RAM in each slot in turn repeating the above process. If you still cannot achieve post then you may want to try with different RAM, preferably something from the memory support list for your board/s. Also make sure the CPU is seated correctly and that the CPU cooler is not pressing down on the CPU hard enough to cause pins to missalign, the memory controller is on the CPU so it not being seated properly can cause this issue.
scottgus1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottgus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 1:03am
Thanks, Xaltar, for the info. I'll try the slot swap & clear CMOS procedure you mentioned & report back.
How would I determine if the CPU cooler is pushing down too hard?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 1:25am
Checking the CPU will involve removing it and checking the slight scratch marks the pins leave on the contact pads, if any of them extend onto the substrate then your cooler was too tight. Reinsert the CPU and attach the cooler again so that it is tight but not so tight it cannot be rotated slightly without too much effort.
scottgus1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottgus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:12am
Very good, I'll check that too. Muchas Gracias!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 3:39am
EDITED TO REFLECT A BONER I MADE IN BIOS REVISION NUMBERING

If you can find that one stick that allows each to boot, first update both BIOSes. The X99 platform is new and manufacturers have been pumping out new BIOSes to keep up with the ever expanding supply of new DDR4 sticks that include

I just looked at both of your boards download pages. You are way way behind on both in respect to BIOS revisions.

I don't normally suggest people update to BETA BIOS but in this instance, newness of X99, I will.

The Extreme3 has a BETA, 2.05, dated Dec 03 2015, that states "Improve DRAM compatibility"

The Extreme4 has a BETA, 1.95, dated Dec 03 2015, that states "Improve DRAM compatibility"

You are good to go with the F4-2133C15Q-32GRR Kits according to G.Skills Memory Configurator. I'm betting a "simple' BIOS update solves both boards issues
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

Edited by wardog - 05 Dec 2015 at 3:48am
scottgus1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottgus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 3:54am
Thanks, Wardog. I'll look at the BIOS updates too. I suppose I will need some form of working memory to flash the BIOS, huh? (So far all we have of DDR4 anything is these 16GB sticks.)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 4:16am
Yea. Hopefully you find one of the four to be "magical' and allow them both to boot and flash with.
scottgus1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottgus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 1:52am
I got 32GB (4x8) UDIMM from Crucial and have successful boots on both boards, one with the cooler loosened a bit and one tightened to cooler's instructions. Yay!! I'm going to take the CPUs out & look at the pin scratches anyway, and I'll try BIOS updates & report back..
scottgus1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottgus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 2:39am
Well, I'm happy to report the 2.05 BIOS for the Extreme3 allows all 64GB of G.skill to show up! Yay again! I did the BIOS update on the Extreme4, and the 32GB still shows just fine, but I haven't tried the 64GB there yet. I'll let you all know how it turns out if my boss lets me try. (He's taking the 64GB PC, of course :) )\

Thanks to Xaltar & Wardog for your help, it's really appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic