ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 3600 Boot Issue w/ New b450m Pro4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larcklorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen 3600 Boot Issue w/ New b450m Pro4
    Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:39am
I purchased the following new for my HTPC:
* Ryzen 5 3600 100-000000031
* Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4B
* Gigabyte 1650 Super GPU
* ASRock b450m Pro4

The CPU hangs at the boot screen with the ASRock logo and BIOS commands. No keyboard interaction at all and will not boot to Win10 64bit.

I had a Ryzen 5 2400g CPU in another PC and swapped them out - boots just fine - so I validated the BIOS version (p3.90) and upgraded the appropriate software to support all of the new hardware.

Then did the following:
* Reset BIOS by pulling the battery
* Tested RAM in different slots (A2/B2 is current placement)
* Returned and replaced the b450m board with amazon
* Repeated above steps and still hung at the boot screen
* Returned the CPU for a new Ryzen 5 3600 - still same issue
* Downloaded and installed the 3.90 bios again

All updates, changes, and fixes I have done lead to the same thing. The 3600 chip hangs at the boot screen and my other CPU allows the system to boot with no issues. I cannot believe that I was sent 2 bad CPUs in a row. Is there anything I am missing to try?

I did email ASRock support as well, but wanted to try here as well.
larcklorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larcklorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:48pm
Current update - any timing changes I make on the RAM to try and get it to work just have it fail and reset the bios.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 1:50am
right back to basics

check you have an 8 pin cpu/eps power plugged in top left of board

1 stick of ram in slot a2 (i know this ram likes this board as my wife and two other people i know are using it in this board)
unplug the hard drive/ssd
using the 3600 cpu
and the 1650 plug in the 6 pin pcie power to the gpu
connect a hdmi lead to the gpu and to a tv set

remove the power cable from the plug at the wall
pop out the small coin sized battery from the mother board

and press and hold the pc case power button for 30 secs

refit the coin battery ,plug pc into wall socket

and tell me what happens then

also leave out the keyboard just use the mouse in a usb2 socket on back of board
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
larcklorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larcklorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 9:51am
Well congrats. Everyone else didnt thing to have me remove SATA and all other cables. So it booted into BIOS - which is the first time I have seen that screen without switching out the CPU. What do you suggest is my next step here?
larcklorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larcklorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 12:35pm
I took a next step and took off the splash screen and added the 2nd ram. Booted up and saw a 98, A2, 99 codes then went to bios.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 1:25am
just work thru the parts until you see what causes the issue

one by one

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
larcklorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larcklorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:47pm
Thank you - I worked through the items one by one and was able to successfully install both sticks of RAM, the 2nd hard drive, all usb elements and then came across a tv capture card in PCIe slot and the HD Autio connection cable. I think the culprit is the PCIe card, but no idea why. With it in the 3600 just hangs, but with the 2400g it would still boot to windows. At any rate I have removed that element and now able to report that I am all good.

I setup the RAM with XMP profile - any other changes I should make in the bios please feel free to let me know.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:15pm
for 99.9% of us setting xmp in bios is all you need
the amount of time vs sucess in ram overclocking can be fruitless
as is time spent trying to overclock the 3600 to any major advantage

going forward may i suggest visiting
AMD SUPPORT directly and downloading the CHIPSET drivers

support>chipset drivers>am4>b450

this will give you the ryzen balanced powerplan for windows and the latest pcie/sm drivers etc
(there are quite a lot of fucntional and enhancing drivers in the package and it can also tidy up / improve the usb + pcie stability and functions)

larcklorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larcklorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:32pm
Thank you again for all the support - I looked up a few items about next steps as well and performed the AMD piece as well as the Ryzen Master download.

Video for others to reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47biZokPUUU
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic