ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99 ws-e uefi raid not boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisterice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99 ws-e uefi raid not boot
    Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 6:42pm
Hello,
i'm trying to install my esxi6 boot usb (i'm sure that is good because start from boot) on the raid manage from raid controller on x99 ws-e motherboard.
i've 4 ssd samsung evo 850 each 500 gb.
I've installed the last bios...
but i cannot run the raid config during the boot...i should see to set making ctrl+I but it doesn't works and during the boot return to the bios uefi...what's wrong?

in uefi bios i've configured as follow:

under Advanced:

Storage Configuration

- hard disk smart  (disabled)
- marvell 9172 controller (enabled)
- marvell 9172 operation mode (raid mode)
- bootable marvell 9172 sata3 (none...because the manual suggest to do not enable for best and fast performance)

SATA3 Storage Configuration

- Sata controller (enabled)รน
- Sata Mode Selection (raid)
- Sata Aggressive Link Power Managemen (disabled)

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

- here i've created the Raid Volume that becomes 1,3 tb (that's correct because the ssd disks are 4)
in the Raid Volume Info, i see Bootable (yes), Strip Size 32kb, Raid Level 5, Status (normal)

CPU Configuration

- Intel Hyper Threading Technology (enabled)
- No-Execute Memory Protecion (enabled)
- Intel Virtualization Technology (enabled)

CPU Chipset Configuration

- VT-d (enabled)

What do you think about it?
thanks,
Luca
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:31pm
Luca, what SATA3 ports are these drives connected to?
twisterice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisterice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:33pm
ok seems that finally i've build the raid from motherboard controller..and now it's 1,3 tb...ok but when i boot the esxi 6 installer it show me the storage device for 4 ssd samsung disks with each capacity and not as a whole volume raid created....why it does not read the raid config?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisterice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:34pm
the ssd disk are connect in the right sata connectors....from sata 3_0 to 5 as indicated in the manual
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:45pm
Ok. So you have six "drives" you're using for RAID.

Still in a RAID5 as you stated in your other thread?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisterice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:46pm
the drives are connected in this way:

sata3_0
sata3_1
sata3_3
sata3_4

i've build the raid from motherboard controller..and now it's 1,3 tb...but when i boot the esxi 6 installer it show me the storage device for 4 ssd samsung disks with each capacity and not as a whole volume raid created....why it does not read the raid config?

if i boot and make ctrl+I i see the whole raid into one volume for 1,3 tb...so seems to be ok...what's wrong?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisterice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:50pm
yes i've select the RAID5 but if I remember to setting up raid 5, i can do it at least with 3 disks..in this case I have 4 and then rightly becomes one volume for 1.3 TB
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:56pm
4 drive RAID5 using 500GB drives should net you 1500GB/1.5TB before formatting.

http://www.raid-calculator.com/default.aspx

Let's get those four drives onto _0, _1, _2, _3 and retry.

So you'll be connecting to the top 3 ports from the bottom up, with the fourth connected to the bottom port on the third "column up.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:01pm
_0 _3
_1 _4
_2 _5
(This the bottom of the SATA Ports)
(And, these only ones that support native RAID, discounting the ASMedia's 2 ports)

Use 0, 1, 2, 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisterice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:51pm
now the disks are :0 _1 _2 _3 but nothing is changed...during the first setup, esxi installer continue to check individual disks and not the whole raid volume....very strange because the raid config si ok...i've tried to run a boot cd with easeus partition magic (just to see how they are config) and i've made a volume formatting in ntfs...just to understand if a new partion can help to check the raid volume....i restart and nothing to do...esxi installer continue to see individual disks partitions of 450gb for each disk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic