ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M boot priority issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tike64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M boot priority issue
    Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:59pm
Hello,

I have a AB350M board and tried to boot priorities such that it would try to boot first from DVD-drive and, if empty, then from HD.

It doesn't work.

If I put HD first it boots from there fine. If I put the DVD-drive first and there is media in, it boots fine. But when the drive is empty, it doesn't agree to skip it and boot from HD.

This setup works with other boards, e.g. B450 Pro4.

I sought for help in Technical Support page. I told on the form that I have Ubuntu and wrote:

---8<---
Boot priority doesn't work as expected

If I have DVD-drive in "Boot Option #1" (SATA3_3: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B) and hard disk in "Boot Option #2" (ubuntu (SATA3_1: SAMSUNG HD080HJ)) and no boot disk in DVD-drive, the BIOS fails to boot at all. It only prompts "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". Expected behavior is to boot from the hard disk.

If there is boot disk in the DVD-drive, it boots fine.

If the hard disk is in "Boot Option #1", it boots fine.
--->8---

I got this answer:

---8<---
AB350M motherboard officially supports Win10.

Kindly try with Win10.

If the problem persists, please update the BIOS to 3.10 and try.
--->8---

I'd like to know how is this an OS issue? If I bought an Win10 license, would the BIOS then magically start to skip empty DVD-drive? How does the BIOS know weather I have the license or not or weather there is Win10 in the HD when it does not even look there? How does it happily boot Ubuntu when there is no empty DVD-drive in the priority list?

What should I do?

--

Timo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic