ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 3:56am
I own three Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mother boards.  They are not my main use machines anymore, mostly they are used by the kids for game and my wife to access the net and edit pictures. 

I see there are now win 10 drivers for the board. I am thinking of upgrading to win 10 from win 7 pro.  All three boards are still running the 1.30 bios,  do need to flash to 2.30 for the upgrade.  If I do need to flash to 2.30 can I go straight to 2.30 or do I have to flash the 2.10 Ivy Bridge update first.

Thanks
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:59am
I just looked at the available BIOS downloads for your MB HERE .

I would suggest using the Instant Flash method and flash to 2.10 first, and then follow with the req'd accompanying updates listes out in the 2.10 Description column on the download page.

After flashing 2.10 successfully(see below!), you may jump straight to 2.30. Or the last BETA, L2.31A

VERY Very Important Note:
When you flash 2.10, it will first flash the BIOS 2.10. Leave the USB stick alone , leaving it in the machine when rebooting. As after rebooting, it has another trick up its sleeve in that immediately after reboot IIRC it will again look fot the USB stick and again flash update the ME version.

A two step process. It will IIRC flash, then reboot, and flash again.

Removing the USB stick after the first BIOS flash will result in problems you don't want to deal with.
matts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 11:40am
I also have this board with Win10 installed and saw that updated drivers/utilities were out but I still have the original BIOS 1.30. I heard of problems with the 2.x versions of the BIOS so I never flashed them and the beta L2.31A has been out basically since the board was fairly new, it was never made final, making it seem abaondoned. I also am only using a i3 2120 with this machine so a 2nd Generation Core.

Were those problems resolved or what? Would I benefit from getting the latest version of the BIOS?

Edited by matts - 07 Dec 2015 at 11:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic