ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z97 extreme 9 prob with samsung sm951

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kondorgr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kondorgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z97 extreme 9 prob with samsung sm951
    Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:52am
any response please?
kondorgr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kondorgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:02am
hello again
thanx for the response
but i have some probs
1. when i press f11 for the boot menu it gives me three options:
    1. uefi dvdrom
    2. samnsung bla bla
    3. ahci dvdrom
        now when i press the option 1 it returns me to the boot menu as many times as i repeat the click and i am obliged to boot with the third option which is a very slow process

2. as far as i boot with the third option, it begins to load win7 dvd and it reaches the point that i have to choose the sm in order to create the partition where it will begin to copy the win files. but when i press the "next" button it presents me an error which says: "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. for more information, see the setup log files"

is there any possibility that it would need a driver to be loaded in order to read correctly the sm?

i tried also with a usb stick and it gives me the same three options with the dvdrom
i tried it also with an original dvdrom of win7 pro

Edited by kondorgr - 10 Dec 2015 at 2:22am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 4:20am
Originally posted by kondorgr kondorgr wrote:

ok. i thing you are right.
how do i know which of the two is what i have?
all that is written on the sm is:
p/n: mzhpv256hdgl-00000
s/n: s1x2nyag904868
model: mz-hpv2560
msip-rem-sec-mz-hpv2560
wwn:5002538900036c86
rev 0 sm951
f/w bxw2500q 2015.09

can you understand from this info?

Yes I understand, and yes it is the AHCI type of SM951s.

That makes things much easier for installing Windows 7.

If you've done this already, let me know. The main thing you need to do is before you start the Win 7 installation is, in the UEFI/BIOS, go to the Boot screen and at the bottom you should find an option called CSM. If it is not there let us know.

CSM is Enabled by default. That is fine, leave it Enabled. Click on CSM to display the sub-options.

Find the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option. Set this to UEFI Only.

In the Advanced, Storage Configuration screen, the SATA Mode for the Intel SATA ports should be set to AHCI by default. Do not use IDE. If you plan on using RAID, set it to RAID, otherwise it must be set to AHCI. Save and exit the UEFI/BIOS, and go right back into the UEFI.

That's all you need to do in the UEFI/BIOS. When you install Windows you must only have the SM951 connected to the board. No other drives should be connected, or at least remove the power cable from the other drives. You may of course have the DVD/optical drive connected and powered up if you are using a Windows 7 installation disk.

When you boot from your Win 7 installation media, if you have two entries with one saying "UEFI: DVD Drive" or whatever your installation media name is, choose that one to boot from. Do NOT use the entry saying "AHCI: DVD Drive", unless that is the ONLY entry in the boot order list you get.

Don't worry if your SM951 is not shown in the boot order list, that does not matter.

Let us know how this works for you, it should work fine.

kondorgr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kondorgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:52am
as far as the google search says, it is the ahci type....

kondorgr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kondorgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 7:10am
ok. i thing you are right. 
how do i know which of the two is what i have?
all that is written on the sm is:
p/n: mzhpv256hdgl-00000
s/n: s1x2nyag904868
model: mz-hpv2560
msip-rem-sec-mz-hpv2560
wwn:5002538900036c86
rev 0 sm951
f/w bxw2500q 2015.09

can you understand from this info?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 6:44am
Originally posted by kondorgr kondorgr wrote:

hello guys

i have purchased 3 weeks ago the z97 extreme 9 mobo
the prob i have is that i cannot install win 7 pro or win 7 ultimate on the sm951
i have seen in the manual that i found it the box that the sm951 was not in the list of the m.2 cards
on the contrary i have seen that the sm951 was in the list on this site

is there any possibility to have analytical help on how to install win 7 on the sm951?

i have read this: 
https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296
and this
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2817439/install-windows-x64-sm951-drive.html#16747080

but there was not any success

pls i would like step by step instructions because i'm going to throw both mobo and sm out of the window

You must overcome your feelings about throwing the mother board and SM951 out the window! That will not help you at all, and actually will make things worse.

The Samsung SM951 is not a plug and play SSD. It is not a SATA drive, and requires a few special installations techniques.

I use a Samsung SM951 as the OS/WIndows drive on my ASRock Z97 Extreme6 board. I've used two in RAID 0 on my ASRock Z170 board, so it certainly is possible to use these SSDs on either chipset board.

But you have left out one very critical piece of information that may make a big difference, since you are using Windows 7. That you left this out worries me that you might not understand what you are working with.

That is, do you have an AHCI or NVMe version of the SM951?

I have a thread about installing PCIe SSDs in this forum, that will help you. But we MUST know which type of SM951 you have.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1236&title=how-to-install-windows-on-a-pcie-ssd
kondorgr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kondorgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 5:34am
hello guys

i have purchased 3 weeks ago the z97 extreme 9 mobo
the prob i have is that i cannot install win 7 pro or win 7 ultimate on the sm951
i have seen in the manual that i found it the box that the sm951 was not in the list of the m.2 cards
on the contrary i have seen that the sm951 was in the list on this site

is there any possibility to have analytical help on how to install win 7 on the sm951?

i have read this: 
https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296
and this
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2817439/install-windows-x64-sm951-drive.html#16747080

but there was not any success

pls i would like step by step instructions because i'm going to throw both mobo and sm out of the window
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic