ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99X Killer Won't power without CPU and RAM?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgravina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99X Killer Won't power without CPU and RAM?
    Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:40am
Could use some help...

I got my motherboard but still waiting on the CPU and RAM.  I was hoping to test the motherboard by just plugging in the ATX and CPU power to my PSU and just pressing the ON button.  However, nothing works.  I was expecting to at least get the DEBUG lights to come on, or other lights on the board, but no signs on life.

PSU is brand new and DOES work.  I didnt think you NEED the CPU to just power it up, maybe you do with this board?

Anyone experience this or is my board DOA. 

Thanks!
Jim
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 5:18am
Relax until you get your CPU and memory. :)

Think. If there is no CPU installed on the board, just what were you expecting it to do?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 5:30am
And now that I think of it .......

Now that you've powered it the caps now hold a charge. A charge waiting to zap something as you begin assembling it further

Pull the power from the wall, disconnect power and remove your video card, disconnect the 24-pin, 8-pin, and any other power from the PSU that may be connected.

After doing the above, and with your cases Power switch still connected to the MB's header, press and hold the cases Power switch for 5 seconds to dissipate any charge the MB may yet hold.

Too, should you encounter an error once it's fully assembled you should remember a BIOS clearing might at that point get you running.

Keep us posted on your successes.
jimgravina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgravina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 6:29am
Thanks for the reply!  I only asked because I had a past build where the Motherboard lights lit up even with no CPU or Memory installed.  If i do in fact have a dead board I would like to RMA at and have it ready for when my cpu and memory come in.  

I'm not sure I follow you directions.  I dont think it ever powered on to begin with but I will try your suggestion!  Also, i dont have ANYTHING connected to the motherboard...I just wanted to see it turning it on would show lights or some signs of life...

It is set up outside of the case and have tried the onboard power button as well as shorting the power button pins...still nothing.  

Edited by jimgravina - 08 Dec 2015 at 6:31am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 7:44am
It's not a good idea though.

Get the CPU and memory installed, and if it shouldn't then, the BIOS clearing and possible take a second look at the wiring from the case to the system panel header.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgravina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 7:58am
Yes I will wait. Just heard back from ASRick technical support and they said it will NOT power without the CPU installed. Thanks for your help!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:18pm
While I completely agree with Wardog, attempting to start the board without a CPU and/or DRAM memory connected is a waste of time, there are two things you could look at for some sign of life from the board.

First is the optical SPDIF output jack on the board's IO panel. The LED will be on even if it is not being used. You might be able to see some red light around the edges of the cover. Or carefully use a pencil or toothpick and press in on the cover to see if the LED is on.

Second is the network input jacks. Connect one to a network cable from your router, you may see the yellow connection LED turn on.

Given the complexity of a PC mother board, if an LED or two light up, that does not begin to indicate that it is in good working order.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgravina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Given the complexity of a PC mother board, if an LED or two light up, that does not begin to indicate that it is in good working order.

Great point!  Thank you!
Jim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic