ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Direct UEFI Screen To Primary VGA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hftsai256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Direct UEFI Screen To Primary VGA
    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:06am
I've searched several posts around. They are close but none of them precisely match my use case...

My motherboard is ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac with an AMD RX 480 discrete graphics card for PCIe passthrough, and I want everything goes to IGPU before I start this particular VM.

BIOS setup:
    Primary Graphics Adapter = Onboard
    IGPU Multi-Monitor = Enabled

So now bootloader and OS prompts into my IGPU, but UEFI and the splash screen are still showing on my RX 480. How can I redirect UEFI screen to IGPU as well?

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 02 Jun 2020 at 10:21am
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:56pm
Dear Hftsai256,

Thanks for posting!

BIOS screen can be shown either from the graphics card or integrated graphics.
BIOS screen cannot be shown from both the graphics card and the integrated graphics at the same time.

To allow the BIOS image showing from onboard when a VGA card is installed.
Kindly update a BETA BIOS BIOS 1.22 from the link below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KxQUK-zsa4dMLdWMibhcq4BYl2eXNj9P

Then try to adjust the following setting:
Primary Graphics Adapter = Onboard

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 01 Jun 2020 at 7:57pm
hftsai256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hftsai256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:08pm
Thanks for the update. However I'm not very comfortable on running beta UEFI. May I ask for context on this beta? E.g. change log since v1.2, known issues (remaining tickets), release plan (timeline). I'd assume this release branch should already be frozen and restricted from new requirements and features.
hftsai256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hftsai256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 12:09am
Found one bug: UEFI screen will only appear from a cold boot. Any sort of reboot -- exiting UEFI, restart from bootloader, reboot from OS, will lost signal on primary graphics adapter if set to Onboard until OS takes over the framebuffer.
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:20am
Dear Hftsai256,

Thank you for your reply.

The BIOS 1.22 has the ME updated. Also, fix the primary graphics settings.

We have checked the BIOS 1.22 with a graphics card installed.
1. Adjust the Primary graphic adapter to onboard.
2. Restart the system from the OS.
3. However, the system will always light up from the onboard HDMI port.

Could you tell us a little bit more about the problem you are encountering?
Also, please provide the monitor model name and the screen output cable that you are using.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
hftsai256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hftsai256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 1:07am

Monitor: LG 27EA31 on HDMI cable

After setting primary graphic adapter to onboard, the first cold boot will have monitor signal shown up immediately to onboard HDMI port. Any sort of warm reset/reboot will cause my monitor lost its signal on the same port until getty@ttyN.service hits. In other words, I would be completely clueless during the boot time until the operating system re-initiates framebuffer. Therefore, I won't be able to do kernel work, debug bootloader settings or check around with UEFI shell.

(Well I could do those things by unplugging my graphics card but that's an absurd workaround.)

I'm not quite understand what "system" means in your 3rd description. Can you see the booting UEFI splash screen through onboard HDMI port on a reboot?
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 10:47am
Dear Hftsai256,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we have checked, on the BIOS 1.22 the graphics card setting were set to onboard when the graphics card is installed, the system will show with onboard HDMI(Splash screen) after the restart from OS or the BIOS.

Please make sure to use Win10 on the system.
If the problem persists, could you try removing the SSD from the system and reboot from the BIOS to see if it will work?

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 05 Jun 2020 at 4:01pm
hftsai256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hftsai256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:28am
Operating system shouldn't matter and I would be surprised if Windows cannot figure out the correct framebuffer on the primary device. The issue I'm talking about is taking place __before__ entering operating system. Like you have suggested above, when I have no drive attached to my system, and I do a straight reboot in UEFI (exit without saving changes), I lost my screen.

Interestingly, if you look into the dmesg report:

[    2.589742] i915 0000:00:02.0: vgaarb: deactivate vga console
[    2.598807] ACPI: Video Device [GFX0] (multi-head: yes rom: no post: no)
[    2.599194] input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input9
[    2.638981] fbcon: i915drmfb (fb0) is primary device
[    2.638982] fbcon: Deferring console take-over
[    2.638985] i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: i915drmfb frame buffer device

Kernel defers console to the correct framebuffer around 2.6 seconds but my screen doesn't show up until 8-9 seconds after boot. I would suggest during a warm reset, fbcon is not properly initialized to the correct power state and therefore UEFI was unable to write display data to the primary framebuffer. Common init error if that's the case.

I would expect a higher level conversation when I know I'm talking to professional/technical people.
hftsai256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hftsai256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:32am
FYI for the full dmesg log:
https://pastebin.com/LvRUghM4

I believe the RAM and other hardware init log can shine some light onto this problem.
hftsai256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hftsai256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by hftsai256 hftsai256 wrote:

I would suggest during a warm reset, fbcon is not properly initialized to the correct power state and therefore UEFI was unable to write display data to the primary framebuffer.

Here I mean vga console, not fbcon. Sorry for the typo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic