ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with Z170M Extrem 4 and DDR4 3200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with Z170M Extrem 4 and DDR4 3200
    Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 10:04pm
Hi all,

I have bought the following components:

- Asrock Z170M Extreme4, Intel I7 6700 (non-k), 2 x 8 Gb DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V 3200 (black), Seasonic G550 Gold.
Win 10 Pro 64.

Sometimes I have some blue-Windows screen with programs like 3dmark(11), Firefox etc., so I tried test the system with OCCT Test, configuring it to use large amount of memory and all cores.
In 42-50 sg aprox, the test warning me about a problem/error with a CPU core, and stop the test.
AIDA64 inform me the speed and frequency od DDR4 is 3200 MHz, 16-16-38..all ok.

In the BIOS the memory is tweak to XMP Profile 1.

I tried to set the memory in BIOS to auto (no XMP profile) and reboot the system.
With this configuration, AIDA64 detects DDR4 freq at 2166 MHz.
With this configuration, I tested the system with OCCT test, and 0 errors/warnings in 10 hours

So....whats the problem? Is  it a issue with motherboard? a issue with DDR4 memory?

I bought a 3200 DDR4 memory...so I prefer use this freq :-(

Edited by Sonhan - 09 Dec 2015 at 10:06pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 11:44pm
You may need to bring those sticks down some MHz wise some. 3200 will most likely req some voltage tweaks on the CPU/IMC to stabilize at 3200.

Regardless, 3200 is a big jump from stock.
Sonhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 6:00pm
Yes, but 3200 is the speed for my DDR4 RAM Confused
New tests:

- Intel XMP Profile 1 actived (DDR4 3200, 1.35v, 16-18-18-36), passing memtest86 I get 36 errors in a few minutes.
- Stop test and go into BIOS/UEFI: - I keep the memory settings and modify the voltages (VCCSA from 1.05v to 1.20, and VCCIO from 0.95 to 1.20 )

With this configuration memtest86 is solid during 15 minutes, but when I inicialize Windows I get black screens.

- Go into UEFI and modify settings: DDR4 from 3200 to 2800 and the other parameter to 100( 100, 133 and auto options). Previous voltages to initials settings (1.05 and 1.20). DDR4 voltage from 1.35 to 1.20. Latencys from 16-18-18-36 to 15-15-15-35

With this configuration I am running memtest86 and in 8 hours 0 errors.

So...the memory is ok?
I have errors with 3200 configuration...so I dont sure Cry

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 6:15pm
When you set XMP profile 1 and your RAM is running at 3200 as per it's specification, what is your CPU base clock (BCLK) defaulting to? If it is defaulting to anything other than 100mhz then that is the problem. Some, if not all DDR4 kits over 3000mhz change the BCLK in order to achieve their rated frequency. If this is what is happening for you and it is setting the BCLK at 133 (for example) then you will need to lower the multiplier on the CPU in order to achieve stability. I would lower it by 1 (from 40 say to 39) then test again. Repeat until the system is stable. In essence the RAM is causing the CPU to be overclocked via BCLK and the BCLK is set too high for the stock multiplier. For example a multi of 40 x 133 BCLK = 5.32ghz, obviously far beyond the rated speed of your CPU. Even 110 x 40 = 4.4ghz on a non-K CPU may be too much. Dropping the multi may restore stability in conjunction with the RAM operating at its rated speeds.

If the BCLK is not changing with the XMP profile being set then I am afraid you either have defective RAM (unable to operate at it's rated frequency) or incompatibility with your motherboard.
Sonhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 7:17pm
I think the XMP Profile 1 is not changing any CPU parameter (BCLK or multiplier) because the speed is fixed to 3.4. Al CPU settings are set to default/AUTO

Then...you mean that BCLK DDR4 and BCLK CPU have to be the same in order to work correctly?

When I set DDR4 parameter to 100, I only can select from 2133 to 2800 frequencies. Only if I set this parameter to 133 or AUTO I can select 3000+

So I have to try to manually set DDR4 (BCLK 133, 3200, 16-18-18-36, 1.35 v) and CPU (BCLK to 133 and multi to 26 for example) it is correct? With CPU voltajes to defect.. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 7:51pm
If it is not altering the CPU BCLK then this is not the issue. If the RAM is being set to 133 and the CPU is still at 100 then the BCLK and RAM core frequencies are not linked. You can try manually input the settings for the RAM and set the timings a little looser. 

Other than that I suspect your RAM may be unable to operate at it's rated speed or there is an incompatibility with the motherboard at that frequency. If you try and set the RAM to 133 and a lower frequency does it still fail memtest? By trying this we can rule out either defective RAM or motherboard incompatibility. If it operates without error at 133 with a speed lower than 3200 then it is very likely that the RAM is faulty, if it causes errors even at the lower frequency then the odds are in favor of incompatibility with the motherboard.

On a side note, Skylake CPUs have the functionality of having BCLK completely independent of PCIe and other key motherboard features which intel claims will allowe the BCLK to be increased in 1mhz intervals without the loss of stability. As I type this I realize my info was not accurate in my last post. The issue I outlined was exclusive to the socket 2011 v3 platform as it did not separate the BCLK and core RAM frequency the way skylake does. I apologize if this caused any confusion.

Previously all intel CPUs were only able to operate at preset BCLK frequencies without causing instability. These frequencies were  called "straps" and allowed a degree of overclocking in non-K CPUs, however, even increasing the BCLK to the lowest strap over 100mhz (120mhz) would prove too much of an overclock and cause instant BSODs or failure to post. With Skylake you can set the BCLK to 109 for example and retain stability, while on previous generations you could only get away with a 3 - 5 mhz BCLK increase at most. I say all this in-case the prospect of some light overclocking appeals to you. In theory you should be able to set your BCLK higher then lower your multiplier until you achieve stability. Unfortunately this will not effect RAM speed.
Sonhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 3:58am
Ups... I cant run the test because I can not find the option to change the CPU multiplier.
I have only option to change the BCLK frequency. If I set this to 133...the CPU speed increases a lot, it is impossible for my CPU.

I tried change VCCSA voltage from 1.05 to 1.20, and the system is more stable with XMP2 profile1 (3200)...but I get 1 error passing Prime25 test.

In 20 minutes OCCT...0 errors, and in 20 minutes Memetest86 test...0 errors.

I dont know...which is the utility of this voltage?
Where is the CPU multiplier in this motherboard??

Edited by Sonhan - 11 Dec 2015 at 3:59am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:28am
I have not tested Skylake systems yet though I will be soon, I guess it may be that because your CPU is a non-K the option is not available. 

You may also want to check and see if you have the latest BIOS update for your board. It may improve RAM compatibility. From the description it also adds DDR4 overclocking which may help you achieve your RAM's rated clocks more easily.
Sonhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:36am
I have the last Bios.... :(
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:40am
The beta BIOS that can be found here?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic