ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - x370 Killer sli/ac with 3200 not showing second ca
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 Killer sli/ac with 3200 not showing second ca

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squirrelville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 Killer sli/ac with 3200 not showing second ca
    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:54am
Mobo x370 killer sli/ac
CPU ryzen 3 3200 g
Video dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

Sli bridge installed

Bios P5.8

Issue is the second GeForce is never recognized by the computer.
Is there a specific setup I need to do in bios to make the computer detect a second GeForce?
Squirrelville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squirrelville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 7:22am
So I will get more into the weeds with what my story is.

I built a new system using my two Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 video cards on an X370 killer sli/ac motherboard with to begin with an A7 processor, I have Aegis 8 GB of DDR4 Ram and a 1 TB M2. Sabrent Rocket Q.

I found in the Manual that SLI does not work with the A7 Processors but does work with the Ryzen Processors, so I purchased the Ryzen 3 3200G

I updated my Bios to the latest (yes I understand it is problematic for 1000 series or 2000 series ryzens but I have a 3000 series. I assume that is ok) so I have the 5.8 Bios

To no avail I cannot use the second video card in my machine. I have tried swapping the cards, then whichever card is in the top pcie slot works and the card in the lower graphics pcie slot does not. They both have power to them, I purchased a powersupply that is multi graphics card prepared..

The upper card will get warm, but the lower card stays cool. no monitors pluged into the lower card have any indication (I have monitors on all outs)

I have tried it with the asus (don't think it matters who made it) single SLI link attached or not attached.

in windows when I check device manager it only states that there is one Geforce GTX 460 card connected and nothing else.

I am unsure if there are steps I should do in Bios. I ave started with EUFI defualt only tweaks I have made specifically were for the M2.

I would really like to run a setup with more than 2 monitors. (GTX 460 only has two dvi out) not needing super gaming performance, it just helps with my work to have as many screens as possible to move things around and track things...

Anyway if anybody else has fought with this and won, I'd love to hear the secret. I had the two 460s in my sons's MSI x350 tomahawk MB and his system detected both video cards, his CPU is a Ryzen 3 1200. So I would guess that Ryzen 3 CPUs can handle dual video cards?

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 10:27pm
ok some quick thoughts

first your 3200g is a 2000 series (surprise ! its an apu with a zen+ /ryzen 2000 core)

second without a hunt to a source/link im pretty certain the ryzen apus 2200g/3200g/3200g/3400g all have GIMPED/diabled amount of pcie lanes compared to normal ryzen cpu's (maybe there is an option in bios to reduce the lanes given to primary pcie slot? )

lastly though and most serious
why are you trying to use sli (proven to have terrible support these days) with two what can only be called very very outdated and obsolete video cards ?

im not trying to offend at all but very very cheap modern cards are far far more powerful and trouble free to set up (and can hook up three displays easily)

i would hazard a guess the 3200g on board video to be close or exceed the gtx460 performance anyway
EDIT YES
onboard vega apu is 25% better than a gtx460
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-460-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU/2167vsm401440

and i doubt the sli gtx460 would be able to increase the performance 25% either (in the rare instances they actually work and work better than with just the single gtx460)

Edited by datonyb - 08 Jun 2020 at 10:31pm
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squirrelville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:44am
You know it's crazy, I read up on the Vega 8 stats and the GTX 460 stats, and.. your right... the vega graphics SHOULD outperform to 460...

but then I've run UserBenchMark (downloadable benchmarking software) and...

The GTX 460 kicked butt... (I honestly don't understand why... it should not outperform the vega, but.. it did, really did it was noticeable during the test)

I did read (just after I ordered) that the 3200G had 8 lanes for pcie, and that made me nervous but then I remembered my son's running two cards... and figured it would not be an issue. I think that is the issue...

My son has a Ryzen 3 1200, I am guessing that he has 16 lanes pcie, and my 3200G only has 8?

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:05am
correct the ryzens all have the full 16 lanes to gpu
4 to pcie/nvme
and 4 to the chipset

re, the gtx460 vs vega

are you running just 1 stick of ram?

if so thats where its got gimped, as it has to use system ram and with only 1 stick you loose about half the fps (bandwidth)

with two sticks it can double its bandwidth and thus its fps

and then the actual ram speed 2133/2666/3200 mhz etc would really affect it using the slower ram eg 2133 ddr4

back to your lack of second pcie slot it may be the power/pcie lanes are actually de activated due to the cpu

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squirrelville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:07pm
Oh my...

So I have been trying to run dual video cards... I should have been just running dual memory cards... ? (That would have been cheaper.. I probably would have been ok staying with the A7... And got a second memory instead... )

And I am positive now that the ryzen 3200 just turned off the second pcie slot because it doesn't have the bandwidth. There does not seem to be a way in the bios to turn it back on.

So question is do the two sticks need to be a 'paired' combination or is it simply required to have another memory stick?

I only bought a single 8 gig stick my son has a single 8 gig stick (I wanted to not spend too much on mem, knowing eventually all 8 gig sticks will be in the garbage as the 4 slots are crammed with 32 gig or whatever the max is) but it sounds like spending the money on a second 8 gig might be worth it now...
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:30pm
like most of us
your pc skills are getting 'honed' by mistakes

grab a roll of toilet paper and i'll start listing mine (its a long list)
so dont worry about it

right memory ........
the am4 platform isnt the most *forgiving* when it comes to ram

but with later bios revisions and later cpu's it has got a lot better by far

first and formost , it would be very unwise to advise anyone to try and get a mixed set working and even if you get it to boot at the correct speeds theres the issue of random memory errors causing crashing later on

so
you havnt given any info as to what sticks you have in either pc

are they by chance the same brand and model in your and your sons?

if so then theres a good chance they will work together ok
(but please bear in mind some ram sticks may have the same part code BUT could have used different chips if made in different batches of production)
e.g. one batch of corsair might have hynic chips under the heatsinks one week and the next week they sourced samsung chips , to mix these would be a bit of a struggle for the memory controller , hence why you can get ram KITS they will come from the same batch and in theory get tested as a pair

the other point to note is ram speed
unless the am4 system is just a email grabber wifes shopping pc etc
its quite a performance lift to stay above 2666mhz ram (ideally 3000mhz or above)

i know im not bringing good news here but to be honest you have made some poor decisions with parts you have bought (once again please do not think im trying to make you feel bad)

but a 3200g dosnt usually sit in an x370 board

you dont usually consider a 3200g if any plans to use add in graphics cards in any board

and lastly the single ram stick (single channel ram mode) this is my main *bug-bear* with laptops always being shipped with 1 stick hence single channel operation from designers that really do know better but relent to the profits dept.

so your options ?

grab a non-apu type ryzen 1600AF/3300x/2600 etc
or
throw the gtx460s in the bin and grab a single rx570 circa $120

but either solution i would advise trying to get both your pc's on dual channel (e.g. 2 ram sticks)

i must say again the gtx460 really is well and truly past it compared to other parts of your system,
and hopefully you dont feel ive been rude ,its hard to convey advice and plan facts here without sounding arrogant and rude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squirrelville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 12:00pm
Thank you, I didn't come here for people to tell me what I'm doing right... so no worries

I have not built computers for about .. oh my.. 10 years... and seriously was before that..

Systems I knew well had SDRAM, then the first gen DDR ram, when I was seriously building. Then I built some DDR2 systems for work, but that was not indepth.

Now I am learning it all again.. I had never seen an M2. slot, but my son's machine came with one so we took the dive into it.

This is all new to me now. But the fundamentals aren't too different.

The x370 is a great base platform. the 3200g works well enough now. But when what would be a 700 dollar chip now, is a 100 dollar chip, I'll replace the 3200G with... well... actually probably something that isn't even out yet and might push the sli killer to the outer edge of what it can do.. (but it will be much less expensive at that point.. I have a foundation that will grow into that)

yes an rx 570 ish , we went with an rx 580 for my son's comp, but he is playing more rigorous games than I am. currently the single stick of 8 is running well enough.. But I think it's cost effective now to try to buy matching memories for our computers.    

I did test the two computers with the different memories and it wasn't a great match.. My son has 8 gig 3200 crucial memory , I have 8 gig 3200 aegis memory. I'm not in love with putting those two sticks together.

BUT what I did get figured out. I can run 3 monitors with the onboard and single gtx running. it absolutely cant do games, BUT I can run the zoom classroom while having multiple webpages up and visible at once which makes my work much easier.

Like you said, the expert is the person who has made all the mistakes already..
Thanks for your input.

I think I might be trying to match part numbers and buy another crucial stick to go with the former.. (and hope for the best there, I caught what you said about that) And buy another aegis stick to go with the aegis stick. (this was most recently purchased so .. hopefully .. more likely to match... )

Thank you soooooo much for your input. The fact is.. I just did not know about these points... things were different when I built my 200 Mhz Socket 7 Beasts.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 7:54pm

glad to hear you have a plan , and it sounds well laid
also glad to help your quick update to 2020 pc rules

i too am an old git
started out on 386/486 systems
we didnt have to worry about ram matching then ............

we was too busy just trying to get the various cards working without IRQ conflicts using jumpers on each card to change the electronic addess

now that was a headache !

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic