ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Channel Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanp2500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Channel Issue
    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:13am
Hi. My problem is with latest 10gen intel cpu when using z490 steel legend I cannot boot into bios with ram sticks inserted in A2 B2 or A1 B1. I can insert sticks into A1 A2 and they can load windows and work fine with XMP profile as single channel. I have also confirmed these ram sticks are on the approved list for dual channel. So far I have replaced PSU. I am thinking of RMA motherboard but it seems to me like some sort of bios or compatibility issue. Another set of DDR4 ram sticks show same symptoms. Here are my specs

Motherboard ASROCK Z490 Steel Legend     
BIOS Version: 1.20
CPU:Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1200 65W BX
Memory: first i tried Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 Then I switched to: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized Memory ??Black, Model Number: CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18
Video Card:980ti,PCIe (behavior same without card inserted)
HDD: ST1000LX015-1U7172,SATA
ODD:ASUS BW-12B1ST,SATA

I have done some more reading and is it just that for dual channel xmp2.0 profile required since this is intel tenth gen?
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 4:04pm
Dear Seanp2500,

Thank you for posting your query to the ASRock forum.
We have checked with the BIOS 1.20 + CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 ver3.31.

And the system is able to boot properly with dual 3600MHz RAM installed to A2B2 slots.

Please use only the minimum bootable devices such as CPU/CPU fan/memory module on the system to verify the followings:

1.Please check the B1 and B2 slots separately to see if both of the slots can work properly.

2. If both of the slots can work properly, please load BIOS default and install the memory to B2A2 slots and try to see if the system can boot up.

3. Once confirmed that there is no problem with the slots, please load XMP and lower the frequency of the RAM to 3466/3333/3200 to see if the system can boot up.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 23 Jun 2020 at 4:11pm
seanp2500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanp2500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:30pm
Can you confirm the cpu you used to test? Was it Intel Core i7-10700? This is important for me to know because I am considering switching to a competitor motherboard as I am growing impatient with time spend figuring this out.   
seanp2500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanp2500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 4:38am
I am surprised at the lack of response. I just want to limit my need to remove the motherboard component needlessly. Based on the no reply I will have to assume that this was not tested with a 10th gen cpu. Which is basically my issue. Would really appreciate a response.
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 11:41am
Dear Seanp2500,

Thanks for the feedback.

As responded in the private message, the CPU we used to check was 10700.

Kindly be noted that all of the information provided to the website will need to go into intensive quality testing before it is posted.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
seanp2500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanp2500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 7:23am

Got my motherboard rma replacement. Slightly different but same problem channel b1 b2 work single channel but a2 b2 do not work dual channel. Have tried several things so far any ideas? so far tried downclocking to 2133 and 2933. One thing I notice is when I look up firmware manually using corsair ram tool it does not match and in fact the firmware listed on your sheet does not seem to be available for me to dl??? I also have more sticks I can try. Please help. This sounds like a compatibility settings ram timings issue if you ask me. Very bummed out as now I must begin search for different manufacturer. I want dual channel memory speed. I am posting from this pc it work fine. Happy to follow any steps.
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 5:24pm
Dear Seanp2500,

Thanks for the reply.

Please check if the memory modules are the same version as CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 ver3.31.

We would recommend using the same version.
If the version is not the same, it will also affect how the memory modules work with the system.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
seanp2500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanp2500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:33pm
I guess the only people who could really help me on this site are asrock employees. Which is fine. But I need the employee to read my replies.

This last response is proof these are just canned copy and paste responses.

I am going to repeat the points of my previous post.

Which is quite annoying.

One thing I notice is when I look up firmware manually using corsair ram tool it DOES NOT MATCH and in fact THE FIRMWARE ON YOUR SHEET DOES NOT SEEM TO BE AVAILABLE (DOES IT EVEN EXIST?) for me to dl???

I put the important info in all caps.

So basically I now think this is irrelevant as I have 2 other ram sticks to test and they do the SAME thing.

The only difference with the motherboards was first set only worked A1B1 and the new motherboard sticks only work in A2B2.

I guess this needs to go to someone who designs the bios and if they want they can work with me to fix this. I suspect that earlier perhaps you used K model of this cpu but this is not the K model on my end. I have done hours of troubleshooting and I am willing to try more but I need the person giving the suggestions to have reading comprehension.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:40am
Return the CPU, if you have tested 2 different boards, the RAM works in single channel
and still have the issue then odds are high that you have a faulty IMC on your CPU.

We see failed CPUs more and more frequently these days, from both intel and AMD.
Most commonly, bad IMCs (Integrated memory controllers).
seanp2500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanp2500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:46am
thanks for the suggestion but gosh my ability to think logically has a real hard time with this.

So remember key here is pc works great. I am actually typing to you on it. Benchmarked the heck out of cpu. Gamed alot on it. PC runs great other than that one slight problem. So I am thinking bios/compatibility. But the main reason I think that would be nutz is that first mobo A1 B1 work second A2 B2 work. So how on earth could that possibly be faulty cpu? Like I am thinking in terms of how the component functions. That just would not make any sense. Keep in mind rma time and all that. I just went through an rma blah blah. So no I will not be rma my cpu as I just don't think that is the problem.

So basically at this point I am looking for other solutions that I can actually attempt fairly easily. CPU is only thing I have left to try in terms of components as psu and ram were already tried. I honestly think this is a bios issue with this specific cpu.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic