ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550M Pro4 High CPU Temps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550M Pro4 High CPU Temps
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:30pm
Asus B550M Pro4 V1.10 running with Ryzen 5 3600 @ stock speed (1.4V core) and DDR4 LPX vengeance 3200 @ 3200MHz

I'm getting the BIOS HW menu showing 65degC!!! I removed the stock cooler, cleaned off everything and re-applied Artic MX-4 paste. Visually checked that it covered all edges of CPU from case peep holes and it looked good. All screws tight on wraith cooler. All visuals good.

Still BIOS is showing 62+ degC! My ambient is 23degC... Case is Fractal design node 804 with 3 case fans blowing at 700rpm. CPU fan is set to max 1900rpm.

When I go into my O/S Unraid using the Dyanmix Temp plugin, the cpu is reporting 39degC.... wtf

Is there something wrong with the temperature reported in the BIOS???
ASRock B550M Pro4 1.1
Ryzen 5 3600 @ stock
LPX Vengeance 2x8GB 3200 @ 3200
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:45pm
what are your temps whilst in Windows?
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
bigbangus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:25pm
I'm using unraid O/S, but to answer your question I dusted off an old SSD and booted bare metal into Win10. I installed the AMD software and it was showing 40+°C. If I go into the motherboard bios to the temperature / fan control tab, it shows 65°C. This is definitely a bug in the BIOS!
ASRock B550M Pro4 1.1
Ryzen 5 3600 @ stock
LPX Vengeance 2x8GB 3200 @ 3200
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:10pm
It isn't a bug, it's because the BIOS utilizes a single core at full frequency and
voltage the entire time you are in the UEFI. The size of the BIOS chip means there
simply isn't enough space to incorporate power saving of any kind. The end result
is a single core runs at near 100% load the entire time and gets hot.

If your cooling solution is keeping you under 80c in the BIOS then you are likely
not going to have any thermal issues in OS.

You are not the only one that was bothered by the high temps in the UEFI
I did a lot of research into it and asked some of my industry contacts about it.
The old text based BIOS setup was a lot less demanding and showed temps much
closer to what you would expect at idle in OS. It was also a lot less versatile.

Also bare in mind that I am talking about AMD in this instance (under 80c), most BIOS temp
monitoring monitors the tCTL sensor which is meant to be offset by between -10c
and -27c depending on the CPU model (threadripper is -27c). In practice this
usually means that if you are seeing 65c on an AMD Ryzen based system you would
likely see 55c on an intel board. Feel free to look up tCTL in more detail if you
like but in a nutshell, it exists to conrtol (CTL) the fans, by the fan controller
thinking that the temps are higher than they are it responds much more rapidly.
I suspect this is a limitation of fan controllers that were never designed to
manage such rapid heat fluctuation, more cores heating up together means much
sharper temp spikes than on older dual and quad core setups that were the norm
not that long ago.

I imagine new controllers will emerge eventually and the tCTL workaround will
be abandoned but I doubt it is a priority as the current method works very well
and doesn't cost anything to implement vs designing a new IC.

Edited by Xaltar - 30 Jun 2020 at 10:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic