ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Extreme 4 doesnt post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fraserhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Extreme 4 doesnt post
    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 4:03am
Hi.

I just put together a build but it wont post. I know the ram is good, because I have another system built on a Z370 Pro4 that has been working great, and I swapped out the ram between the two systems. Both sets of RAM worked on the Z370 so I know they are good. so I know the RAM is fine.
All the fans are working. No beeps, just a steady pulse of the blue lights on the motherboard.

I know this board at one time worked fine because I installed it on the other system until I realized I needed a different PCI slot so I got the Z370 and used that. So the Z390 *should* work.

So, I read a bunch of email from this site and none of the proposed fixes seem to apply - I attached a 8-pin CPU cable to the ATX12V1 connector, a 24 pin cable to ATXPWR1. FWIW, I did not connect anything to the 4-pin ATX12V2 connector. Do I need to -I don't have another CPU cable.
S
When I supply power from the PSU the blue lights on the motherboard start to pulse maybe once per second.
When I press the power button on the IO panel all the fans (case fan, CPU heat sink fan, and GPU fans stat up. The only think I hear is the tiny amount of crinkling that IIRC is a hard drive starting up.
I get no output from my GPU. No beeps no sound, just the fans running and the steady pulse of blue lights.

I hear NO beeping at all. The IO panel connectors seem to work fine - I have IO panel lights and the power switch starts the CPI and GPU fans.

This is my build:
ASRock Z390 Extreme 4
Intel I9-9900KF (coffee lake) CPU - no onboard graphics.
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x16GB (32GB) 3200 MHZ
Hyper 212 EVO heatsink/fan.
Gigabyte GEForce RTX 2060 Super Graphics card
Corsair RM850 power supply.
Fractal Designs Define R5 case.
Crucial MX500 SSD
Seagate Barracuda SATA Hard drive.

I really haven't seen any means of diagnosing the issue.

Thanks fr all suggestions/advice,

Fraser

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:50pm
What BIOS version is the board using? It will need at least P2.30 to work with
the 9900KF.

Also try other display cables/outputs, often times "no POST" issues turn out to be
display cable issues not getting signal to the display.
fraserhutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fraserhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:59pm
I think it is the BIOS version. Looks like I am at 1.60. Gonna be fun trying to figure out how to update the bios without a working CPU.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 4:07pm
What are you running in the Z370 or is this an upgrade board for the same system?

If you have to pick up a CPU to flash it your best bet would probably be the Celeron
G4900, it is supported on all BIOS versions for that board.
fraserhutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fraserhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 2:21am
Hi again.

Update - I used another CPU and managed to get the BIOS updated so it boots now. However, the system will not boot if I have ram A2 or B2.
The am is Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200. I can put both sticks in A1 and B1 but it only runs in single channel mode.
All the parts to this system are new. Both sticks of ram are fine, I got Windows installed and tested it and it seems fine.
Suggestions?
cryptocraze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cryptocraze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 3:41am
Did you figure this out? I have the exact same memory and not getting any post or video.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic