ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AsRock RX 580 PG 8gb CONCERN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotNamed420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AsRock RX 580 PG 8gb CONCERN
    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 6:57am
Hello all, I wanted to ask you guys about an issue I'm facing with my Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX580 8G OC graphics card I bought last month.

First, my setup is:
- Asus Prime B365M-A
- i5 9400F
- AsRock PG RX 580 8GB
- 16GB RAM (2x8gb T-Force Delta 2666 MHz)
- Deep Cool DA700
- 480GB XPG Spectrix M.2 Drive
- PC is built on a decent but old Sentey case, not even close to the one I'd like, but its full of coolers drawing fresh air in, its not confined at all, on a 21/23°C atmosphere on top of my desk. Clean af.
- Latest W10 and Adrenalin Soft to date.

The issue is that playing Red Dead Redemption 2 for approximately 10 minutes I started to notice severe FPS drops. Immediately, toggled Adrenalin Soft's metrics overlay, and went back to playing.
During this stutters, which occur once each 10/15 seconds, I see on the metrics that GPU Clock Speed goes down from about 1300 MHz to almost 300 MHz, power consumption drops together with clock speed, but I check that CPU usage never goes up from 40% and it barely utilizes 8.3 GB of RAM. I'm a complete novice on these matters, but I noticed that these clock speed drops where caused by thermal throttling due to the card reaching almost 85°C. Drops down to 300 MHz for a couple secs, temperature drops something like 4 to 5°C and then it takes those 10/15 secs to reach 85°C again. I did notice that fans where at 100%, but as I never tweaked any default value on Radeon Software, I guess that was normal behavior to keep the card cool.
Game's graphic settings to minimum and I get the exact same drops no matter what, on both DirectX12 and Vulkan APIs. It never consumed more than 3.6 GB of VRAM.

OK. Now, I decide to check on factory values, read about Radeon Software, tried lots of different tweaks and OC profiles, undervolting, etc, but being extremely careful and never ever got it to crash. Performed a FurMark stress-test on FHD (1920x1080) fullscreen with 0xMSAA and different tunings, and for what I've seen online for other RX 580 (couldn't find many AsRock specific ratings), my benchmark sucks. It reaches Max temperature in no more than 6 minutes, and starts throttling right away. I stressed CPU and RAM too, getting normal results, no issues there.

Resuming, I wanted to ask here because I can't think of a better place than manufacturer's own forums, If this is normal for this card. I mean, reaching 85°C in less than 10 mins of 100% GPU usage. I'm taking into account that the recommended graphic card to play this game is RX 580, but leaving this game aside, it really itches my mind knowing that I can't use this card that I've bought last month to 100% of GPU without instantly reaching throttling temps.

I want to thank you in advance for any answer and suggestion that I might get, and hope you all the best during this pandemic times.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 5:23pm
No, that isn't normal. I have the RX 590 Phantom gaming (runs hotter than a 580)
and I don't have these issues. If my fans are set to 100% I don't even hit 65c
under heavy load (stress testing).

I would return the card for replacement. It sounds like it might have been dropped
or badly rattled during shipping. This causes the cooler to have weak contact
with the GPU die causing high temps.

If the card was not new I would suggest replacing the thermal compound between
the cooler and the GPU die and making sure everything is tightened down properly.
NotNamed420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotNamed420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 11:34pm
Hey Xaltar, thanks for answering so fast.

My card is brand new, but I discovered something that might just make my guarantee claim bounce right back at me.
Since yesterday when I created this thread, I sat down and read a lot about graphic cards, assemblers, overclocking, and, UNDERVOLTING.
I don't know if it comes from the assemblers or from the chip manufacuturers (AMD in my case), but I found out that some cards are shipped overvolted to guarantee stability over most things, and to pass exhaustive stability tests before shipping. I'm not really sure about this, because in my case, overvolt of this card immediately guarantees me INSTABILITY.
So, I headed back to Radeon Soft, and started performing undervolting and tuning the fan's rpms according to temperature, without modifying the stock clock frequencies from the GPU nor the VRAM. Turns out, my card now goes through stress tests without any difficulty, and it doesn't raise its temp above 76°C. Now, I can say I'm in between the normal benchmarks for this card.
Nevertheless, RDR2 seems to demand way more than a FHD 8xMSAA DirectX benchmark as FurmMark, or as UNIGINE Superposition. It takes more time but it finally gets my card to between 79°C and 80°C, and instability arises.
I've come to the conclusion that even though this games's reccomendation is an RX 580 8GB graphics card, AsRock's ain't fit for the task. Evidence: a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 a friend lent me, swapped for mine, I mean, exact same scenario except the graphic card, RDR2 runs like a charm and doesn't raise above 66°C, with fans at 65%. So that is a pretty big difference, without even mentioning the noise.

No more to say, I'm sad that my AsRock (brand I really like, mainly because where I live is one of the most accessible) failed on me.

Regards
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 2:41am
RMA the card, if it is running that hot and unstable at it's default clocks there
is something wrong with the way the cooler is mounted, likely due to rough handling,
either on it's way to the store you got it from or on it's way to you (if you had
it delivered).

If you get the same card back and the issue persists, contact ASRock Tech Support:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

All GPUs ship with pre-applied thermal compound, many of these compounds perform
poorly if they are disrupted after they have cured (the paste gets hard and if it
cracks it becomes very inefficient).

As I said before, if the card were not new I would just clean off and replace the
thermal compound. The card is new however and you should not have to void your
warranty to fix a problem that shouldn't exist on a new card
NotNamed420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotNamed420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 8:55am
Thank you again Xaltar.

After everything I've tested, and according to what you are telling me, I'm completely sure about the malfunction of the graphics card.

I bought it through an official Vendor located at the capital city of my country, place from which I'm really really far (1600km), so obviously I received it through a package mailing company, together with all my other components. Everything arrived perfectly fine. The vendor sent the package on a correctly labeled hard box which was in excellent conditions when it was handed over to me. I doubt there was a mishandling during the trip but one never knows.

I've submitted an RMA request over to the vendor, describing the issue. The card has got 11 months of guarantee left, so now I must receive an answer shortly.

Thanks for taking time trying to help me out, I really appreciate it

Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic