ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H61M-VS vs GTX970 DDR5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddamc18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H61M-VS vs GTX970 DDR5
    Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 6:19pm
Hi all,

I love these forums where you can get help and advice from both professionals and folks with a lot of experience and enthusiasm for a particular subject Thumbs Up

My question is, I'm thinking of buying a Zotac GTX970 Extreme! Core graphics card and I want to know if it's compatible with my motherboard, H61M-VS

I'm running a 2nd gen i5 CPU @ 3.2ghz and have 8GB DDR3 RAM.

Thanks for any response in advance Big smile
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 7:27pm
We have seen a few compatibility issues on 2nd and 3rd gen based systems but if memory serves they have been resolved by having the latest BIOS updates installed. If you do not already have the latest installed for your board then you should use the instant flash option. Once you have the USB flash drive in the system and have begun the instant flash process from within your UEFI do not remove the flash drive, there will be an additional microcode update that will take place after the initial flash. If your current BIOS version already contains the microcode update then it won't occur again but many people had issues with the board becoming bricked because they removed the flash drive when the system rebooted. To be safe only remove the flash drive after you have booted into your OS and shut down the PC.

ddamc18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddamc18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 7:40pm
Thanks for the quick response Xaltar.

I'm at work just now, so don't have access to the PC to see what version of UEFI it has.

I've had a quick look online at some UEFI screen dumps but can't quite figure out where to initiate an update if required.

A pointer in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 9:43pm
You will find all the info you need on page 38 of your user manual, I have linked it into this post on the off chance you may have misplaced it. This will tell you where the option is in your UEFI and the BIOS download page for your board will fill you in on additional details about the flashing process itself if you click on the icon with the red medical looking "+" on it. Again, you will want to use the instant flash method.
ddamc18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddamc18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 9:52pm
Thanks again Xaltar,

I'll check this out tonight and order the new graphics card for some decent gaming Thumbs Up
ddamc18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddamc18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:58am
Great start,   INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE
any idea how to roll back the UEFI?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:37am
I take it this occurred after the update? If so then you can try clear CMOS and allow everything to reinitialize. Also you can try hit the F11 key during post and pull up the boot menu then select your hard disk. If it boots when you do this then you have just lost your boot order and need to reset it in your UEFI under the boot menu. That message does not indicate a bad BIOS necessarily, it is more likely a setting that needs to be changed. 

The only way to roll back the bios is to repeat the original process with the older BIOS version copied onto the flash drive. Just be sure you do not revert to a version that predated the microcode update as that could damage your UEFI permanently and require you to order a new BIOS chip from ASRock.

Also, can you enter the UEFI? If this is the case then you can reset the system once or twice to be sure that the updated is complete then power down and remove the flash drive and try to boot up again. It could be trying to boot from the flash drive and ignoring your hard disk.  
ddamc18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddamc18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:05am
This is why I LOVE computer technology! The endless hours spent trying to rectify a problem that was caused by a simple "update"!
I cleared the CMOS, re-ran the instant flash several times (ver 2.7) with the same result  INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE
I can't find the original UEFI 1.0 so I have just about ran out of ideas.
I think the problems lie in a clash between the updates EUFI and Windows 10.
I'm now in the process of Resetting Windows 10, wish me luck...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 2:17pm
Do not under any circumstances re-flash to v1.0, it will render your PC inoperable and require a new BIOS chip to fix. Make sure you are on the latest version before your reinstall windows 10. If the system is passing the post screen then the UEFI is working as it should. Any error that occurs after this point is either storage related (drive not detecting for example) or OS related. So long as your hard disk is showing in the F11 boot menu and can be selected then it is likely the OS that does not like the new UEFI changes and requires reinstalation.
ddamc18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddamc18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 2:28am
All done. Windows 10 repaired and all files still there but all programmes have been uninstalled .
Lesson learned, will just start with a fresh install of windows when the card arrives the reinstall ALL software.
Next time, leave the UEFI alone unless the new hardware fails!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic