ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z97 Extreme6 M.2 support question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 1:30am
It appears as though my motherboard may have only come with just 1 set, of screws... for the m.2 mounting.

Going through my box now which I kept with all the extra spare parts and such, and I have found 3 little tiny plastic bags.

Each bag contains 1 screw, though neither of them are labeled.

2 of the screws appear to be identical, while the third looks smaller.

I am presuming these are the 3 needed to secure the M.2 cards, but is my board supposed to come with more then just 3, and are they supposed to be different sizes?
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 1:40am
on my board only one screw needed per M2 drive, or slot...

the drive you have linked also requires only one screw per drive, at the end, drive slots in on one end and you screw the other end down to mobo

You can see the 950 mounted here...

Edited by DooRules - 13 Dec 2015 at 1:50am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 2:37am
I have a Z97 Extreme6 too. It has two M.2 ports, so only two small screws are needed, one for each of the two threaded standoffs, as DooRules pointed out.

M.2 drives come in different lengths, which is why there are multiple nuts mounted in to the board to accept the threaded standoff that I mentioned. Each nut is covered by a tiny yellow plastic cap disk, which you remove and move the standoff into for different length M.2 cards.

On your board if you look between the PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots, there is an mSATA port. There is another nut mounted in the board with the yellow cap that is offset from the nuts in a straight line for the M.2 card. The third different screw is used to secure an mSATA card mounted in the mSATA port, with the offset nut mounted in the board.
Naz75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 4:02am
I appreciate the responses guys!

I picked up one of the 850 EVO 500GB m.2's this afternoon to try it out.

If all goes well, and I can get my existing Plextor imaged over to it, to use as the boot drive, then I may go buy a second one in a day or two.

One more question though, well hopefully last one.

At present I am on UEFI v1.7

Naturally I plan to update it; but will I lose all my custom settings or will or remember those after the update?

Edited by Naz75 - 13 Dec 2015 at 4:03am
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 4:10am
on my board there is a setting in the bios to save all settings to hard drive, i have tried it and it works well, not sure if you have the same
Naz75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 4:19am
I do, and I did that already just to be prepared!

Thanks again!
Naz75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 4:56am
Well so far so good!

UEFI update went flawless.

Samsung 850 EVO M.2 installed, no problems there; detected in the UEFI so awesome.  Booted to Windows which saw the drive immediately and allowed me to format it and I am now using Samsung's data cloning software to clone my existing Plextor SSD on to the new Evo which looks like it will be about a 15min process. 

Soon as its done I plan to set the M.2 as the bootable drive.

Edit for just a quick side note:
I did not install into the Ultra M.2 slot, yet... just installed in the second one cause it was easily accessible without removing my GPU and Sound Blaster.   According to Samsung's software, it is cloning at a rate of about 205MB/S.

Edited by Naz75 - 13 Dec 2015 at 5:00am
Naz75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 5:19am
Absolutely flawless!

Windows up and running very fast!
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 5:46am
Great news and a great job done there. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic