ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samsung 950pro not detected on Ultra M2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Punch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samsung 950pro not detected on Ultra M2
    Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:52pm
Hi!
I recently bought a Z97 extreme6 and a Samsung 950 pro/256Gb.

The Bios is up to date (V. 2.50) and loaded with default settings.
The CPU is a i7 4790K.
No other devices are installed on SATA or PCIe slots.

My problem is:
The 950pro is not found in the Ultra M2 slot and it doesn't show up in the so called
"System Browser" or in the boot menu.
When i put it in the standard M2_2 Slot i see it in the system browser and in the boot menu as well.

Does this mean the Ultra M2 socket is broken? :-(

Thank you and please excuse my poor english!
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:06pm
On my board, Z170 extreme 7+, I have a bios setting for the M2 ultra slots, "pci mapping". If this is not enabled I do not see either 950.

Not sure if you have this setting or not.
Mr.Punch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Punch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 12:48am
There's no such setting for the Z97.
But thank you.
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 1:12am
I have 3 M2 sockets on my mobo, all sockets show up in bios. I have a 950 in two of them, neither shows in bios.
Naz75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 6:52am
I have the same problem with a Samsung 850 EVO that I just bought.

Same motherboard as well... hence, sorry to add to this thread but since it IS related I decided not to start a new identical thread.

I bought 2 of these 850 Evo's actually, the first one I bought yesterday and installed it into M2_2 and got it set up as my boot drive and everything was glorious, flawless and beautiful!  I liked it so much that I decided to go buy a second one today and installed it into M2_1, the Ultra M2 slot.

Not detected in UEFI.

There's gotta be some additional setting somewhere I presume, but as the OP states... the setting with DooRules suggested, is not available in our UEFI.

To test, I took my good Samsung 850 Evo that I bought yesterday and is currently being used as my boot drive, and installed that into M2_1 Ultra slot, and it too was not detected... so I put it back into M2_2 and it works again.

Seems nothing is detected in Ultra M2_1.

DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 7:11am
I wonder if the second drive would show up in disk management in windows? If so you would just have to initialize it to be good.
Naz75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:27am
It is not seen in Windows for me.

Also, I forgot to state that I do have the latest UEFI as well.

Edit to add: 

M2_1 is not detected in the following:

1. Tools>System Browser Tool
2. Advanced>Storage Configuration
3. Boot>Hard Drive BBS Priorities
4. Boot>Boot Option Priorities
5. Windows

M2_2 is detected in each of those, and I am currently booting the system off M2_2.

Edited by Naz75 - 14 Dec 2015 at 8:37am
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:54am
All i can think of is some setting in the bios is root cause at this point. 

Not much chance you both have the same mobo and both with a dead slot.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:39am
Neither the 950 PRO or the 850 EVO are listed as supported modules for the Ultra M.2_SSD or the M.2_SSD. Could this play a role? The fact that both work in the M.2_SSD slot may just mean it's less picky about the used module, which may be why the list of supported modules is longer than for the Ultra M.2_SSD slot.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/?cat=Storage
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Naz75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 10:20am
Not sure, there are other threads here about the 950pro working in the M2 Ultra slot; and the 850 Evo is older, so I would presume it ought to work...

So Im going to presume its just some simple setting issue that is being over looked, and hopefully someone from ASRock will be able to provide the solution.

Edited by Naz75 - 14 Dec 2015 at 10:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic