ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550M Pro4 won't detect M.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550M Pro4 won't detect M.2
    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 5:19am
Newly built machine with B550M Pro4 and using a graphics card in the PCIe slot and WD M.2 storage (WDS500G2B0B - on the tested list) and the BIOS will not detect the M.2 drive.

No other drives are in place, so no other SATA slots are being utilized.

Can the PCIe and the M2_1 be used simultaneously? The WD M.2 registers in another machine, so we know it isn't that either.

Also, if I remove the graphics card, the on board video (VGA, HDMI) does not work either.

jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 1:03am
Concerning the SSD, yes, you should be able to use M2_1 the one under the heat sink) with any PCIe slot populated. Different story with M2_2. It shares PCIe lanes with SATA3_5 and SATA3_6.

However, M2_1 is PCIe only, not SATA. Per the specifications in the User manual, page 4:

?? 1 x Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2280
M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (with
Matisse) or Gen3x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Renoir)**
?? 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2280 M.2
SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to
Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s)**
** Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

I believe your WD SSD is SATA, not PCIe, so would not work in M2_1. If I'm right, it should work in M2_2.

Concerning the on board video not working, it won't if you are not using an APU. What processor are you using?

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
SkyForce6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyForce6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by mudpupper mudpupper wrote:

Newly built machine with B550M Pro4 and using a graphics card in the PCIe slot and WD M.2 storage (WDS500G2B0B - on the tested list) and the BIOS will not detect the M.2 drive.

No other drives are in place, so no other SATA slots are being utilized.

Can the PCIe and the M2_1 be used simultaneously? The WD M.2 registers in another machine, so we know it isn't that either.

Also, if I remove the graphics card, the on board video (VGA, HDMI) does not work either.

Your drive is a SATA M.2 SSD drive and that will only work in the secondary lower slot on the motherboard the upper slot is only for NVME drives. However even if you change location of your drive to the secondary slot it still will not work for you as primary drive since this motherboard do not support boot from SATA M.2 drives. You need to return that drive (or keep it in the lower slot for extra storage) and instead buy a NVME M.2 drive that you place in the upper slot in order for your machine to boot. There is very little price difference between SATA M.2 and NVME M.2 drives these days.
Bagman1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 3:37am
The bios probably wont recognize the drive in either slot, I know it wouldn't in mine. But you can still boot from it if it has a boot sector on it with the F-11 key. That's what I did and it has boot from there ever since.
Hanab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 1:06pm
So Ive encountered the same problem with my m.2 drive which isnt working in any of the slots Ive tried in... However its working like a charm on another motherboard. Even tried with a new NVME m.2 in both slots without success.. checked bios in case it were a special options that has to be enabled... Still wouldnt show... But on a motherboard thats from 2016 its working?

Both NVME m2 Drives are on their list of supported...

So any ideas before im getting more grey hairs?
prxmxq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prxmxq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 1:28am
If it shows up in your bios but not Windows, this should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUcauNQl8U&t=0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic