ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with Z170m Pro4s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claf1109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with Z170m Pro4s
    Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 7:55pm
Hi Guys,

I just bought this motherboard to fit my new i5 6600k.

I ran into a few issues while installing but updating the bios solved most of them.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro after upgrading it from Windows 8.1 Pro

Now i still have 2 issues that bother me : 

1) RAM and XMP Profile :
I bought two kits of HyperX DDR4 2x4 GB 2666 Mhz (HX426C15FBK2/8) and installed each one properly into their respective dual channel slot. 
But even with the bios update, the computer won't boot at all if i use the XMP profile, and i can't manage to go higher than 2400 mhz without stability issues.

2) OVerclocking the CPU : 
Even Though it was not easy, i managed to stabilize my 6600k at 4.6 Ghz and 1.328 Vcore under Windows 8.1.
The temps were ok, it never went above 65°C
But since i upgraded to Windows 10, i can't go above 4.5 ghz at the same voltage, and it requires 1.4v Vcore to work at 4.6 Ghz
I followed the same overclocking process, disabled speedstep and C states, set curent limits to max and set CPu llc to 1 or 2 depending on the vcore.
I manage the Vcore through the Vcore Offset setting, first trying to find a stable voltage and then going down 5mV until it gets unstable under OCCT

Is there something i can try to get a little more from my setup or is it just an optimization problem with windows 10 ?

Edited by Claf1109 - 14 Dec 2015 at 8:11pm
Claf1109 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claf1109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:21pm
Hi Again,

I'm still trying to get the Ram to work at its rated speed

I tried a common troubleshooting procedure with ddr4 and skylake :

- Reset the Bios
- Only put 1 Ram stick on the motherboard and then load the XMP Profile
- Up the ram voltage (1.3v), VCCSA (1.2)
- I should also up the VCCIO a little but i can't find the setting in my motherboard's bios 
- Then, once the XMP profile is recognized, connect one stick at a time.

The system is perfectly stable at 2666 mhz with 1,2, and 3 sticks in. But whatever i do, it doesn't boot with 4

So :

- How can i change the VCCIO ? It seems to be fixed at 0.95 (Hwinfo64) no matter what the ram speed or the other voltage settings are.
- If i can't, what can i do to make it more stable ?

Edited by Claf1109 - 18 Dec 2015 at 12:52am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:54pm
Ok, so you have two kits of 8GB(2x4GB)

First, get them sorted so that the serial numbers are lined up between the two kits. This is important!

Using two consecutively serial numbered sticks place them in their proper slots per your MB manuals two stick suggestion.

Use a program such as CPU-z to record what the SPD tab shows for all values. Remember, you must look at BOTH sticks SPD tab, so changing the memory slot in CPU-zs upper left is req'd. Record both sticks, all the info displayed.

Does it boot? Great.

Now pull those two and place aside, then insert the other two. Does it boot? Great.

Now do the same as above using CPU-z. Both sticks here too!

Do all four sticks display the exact same numbers from within CPU-z, row for row and column for column?
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Claf1109 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claf1109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 11:04pm
Ok, thanks for the help!

Everything was setup in the right order.

I tried your method with the first kit in slot A2 and B2:

- It Boots with the XMP Profil
- Every setting is exactly the same (apart from the serial number obviously)

Then i did it with the second kit:

- Same thing, it boots properly
- Every setting is the same

When i try to connect the lot

- No Boot

I Forgot to make a screenshot of the SPD screens of the firt kits but here is the rest : 

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 4:03pm
Let me get parsec's attention to help you with the IMC voltage, as that's what I think is holding you back.

I'm an AMD and memory person who knows little of Intel chipsets.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 4:13pm
While waiting, if you want to play some in seeing if we can get all four sticks working .........

In the pic with the four CPU-z screenies, manually set your timings to JEDEC #9 specs as listed.

If it boots with these timings, next change the timings to JEDEC #8 timings. And so on till it won't boot with all four sticks.

Edited by wardog - 17 Dec 2015 at 4:14pm
Claf1109 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claf1109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 5:42pm
I do also think it is a voltage problem, but it seems Asrock didn't wan't (yet) to include the setting in my motherboard's bios.

It's a shame as they say it's compatible up to 3200 mhz.

I tried to fiddle with the JEDEC settings and the timings, but it didn't boot either.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Claf1109 Claf1109 wrote:

It's a shame as they say it's compatible up to 3200 mhz.

Now, keep in mind more importantly it takes a CPU that's capable of 3200 too.

Simply putting 100 octane fuel in a Volkswagon isn't alone going to allow it to run 6sec 1/4 mile times.
Claf1109 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claf1109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 12:57am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Now, keep in mind more importantly it takes a CPU that's capable of 3200 too.

Simply putting 100 octane fuel in a Volkswagon isn't alone going to allow it to run 6sec 1/4 mile times.

I get that, but i guess an I5 6600K overclocked at 4.5 Ghz is not exactly slow either.

Anyways, i think i'll have to wait until the next bios update to see if there's something new. Until then, my vccio is fixed at 0.952V which seems a little low for 4 sticks of "high speed" RAM
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Claf1109 Claf1109 wrote:

I get that, but i guess an I5 6600K overclocked at 4.5 Ghz is not exactly slow either.

No. 4.5 is good.

Still, asking the memory controller to keep up allthewhile using FOUR 3200 sticks puts the CPU's internal memory controller under serious stress. Unfortunately, all silicon isn't created equally. That isn't to say yours cant, just that it'll take some doing on your part to persuade it to.

What settings are you using for 4.5? They're not in the screenies you posted.

EDITED: silicon wardog, not silicone

Edited by wardog - 18 Dec 2015 at 1:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic