ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Extreme6 Beeping on Startup/Temp Alert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 3:44pm
Hmmmm, take a sturdy plastic handled screwdriver, the longer the better, and pressing one end to the PSU and to each HDD, press the plastic handle up against your ear and listen while this beeping is going on.

You should be able to determine/isolate just what the heck is beeping this way.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hmmmm, take a sturdy plastic handled screwdriver, the longer the better, and pressing one end to the PSU and to each HDD, press the plastic handle up against your ear and listen while this beeping is going on.

Safely, so as you don't risk shorting something out while it is running.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 4:57pm

That is genius Clap

My mother in law used to be a doctor so I have the benefit of an old stethoscope for situations like this but a screwdriver resonating will do the job nicely. 

I am leaning toward PSU too but if the beeping isn't coming from the post speaker then a hard disk having trouble spinning up and initializing could also be the culprit, I have heard mechanical drives make all kinds of weird sounds when they are starting to go bad so that is a good point too.

It is easy enough to eliminate the HDDs, just disconnect them from your board and the PSU and see if you still get beeps.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

That is genius Clap

Takes a bow, allthewhile looking for someone to press the Thanks button Tongue
Devikn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devikn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 3:53am

Post codes will cycle at every boot, they represent the startup procedures for the board. An error is indicated by a code that remains displayed and halts post. In your situation the error is obviously resolving and post is continuing. When 64 is displayed, is that when the beeping starts or does the beeping begin on another code?

64 is a CPU initialization process so you may want to remove, clean and reseat your CPU. It could also be your power supply sending dirty current to the system, this can easily cause overheating and component initialization errors. Try checking the system with a different PSU and if that fails then reseat the CPU.

Good luck 

Hello Xaltar, thanks for your reply and suggestions! 

The beeping starts as soon as I press the power button, so there is no specific code that triggers the beeping. 

I cleaned and reseated the CPU when I checked on Dr Debug yesterday since I had to re-apply a bit of Thermal Grease on it. Im not sure if its the PSU since I recall having an old PSU running on the same Motherboard and the beeps being the same as they are today.

The more I think about that number of beeps and what might be causing it it may well be your PSU. Or a HDD. Both known to beep continuously.

You say beeping. Is it more a screeching beep vs a mechanical beep. Can you upload a recording of this beeping?

I uploaded a video showing the Dr Debug's display and the beeping exactly when it happens on startup.

Ill try your screwdriver method lol, but anyway the video is uploaded so you guys can know exactly how the beeping sounds like.

I didnt see the Thanks button since im new on the forum, ill make sure to thank you guys for the effort trying to solve my problem Smile

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

As you recall, during the sequence of codes you recorded, when does the 30 beeps begin? Approximately of course, the best you can recall. If it is before or after the display of codes, please say so.

IF we assume the longest displayed code MIGHT be the problem, that being 64, that is the wonderfully ambiguous chipset initialization error. The generic cure for that is clear the CMOS/BIOS, which I suggested in general earlier. No video of the POST codes is necessary, since you are not getting a fatal error during POST, which stops with the code of the process being run.

Your reply to my question about clearing the BIOS/CMOS (you don't know how to do that) means the only time anything like that happened is when you did any BIOS updates.

Any time you add or change major hardware, like a CPU, memory (or just changing the memory slots used), video card, or even change the connection of drives in the SATA ports, you really should clear the BIOS. Otherwise data in the BIOS becomes confused and can cause problems.

The beeps starts as soon as I turn the computer on, the exact moment when the codes are being displayed. 

About the BIOS Update, I happened a while ago, and im not precisely sure if the beepings started after or if they were happening before that as well, but ill surely try to clear my BIOS and post the updates here as soon as I can, thanks for the directions on how to do it.

You are using BIOS version 2.10, which is the Ivy Bridge processor compatibility update version. That adds Ivy Bridge CPU compatibility to a Sandy Bridge chipset board. You are using a Sandy Bridge processor, an i5-2400. That is fine to do as long as this update is done correctly. That includes updating the Intel IME software/driver to Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.2.141, in the Windows 7 download area.

Since the board beeped before this update, it could not cause the problem. I don't understand why this BIOS update was needed for your video card. Nothing in the description includes anything about video card compatibility updates.

Ill try updating the IME to that version, since I was unable to find which driver version mine is. 

I recall the motherboard not recognizing the video card when I bought it. I did clean the slots and contacts but nothing happened. I remember looking into some forums where they suggested the BIOS version not being "updated" enough to recognize my video card, so I updated it and it worked like magic.

It been over 2 years ago so i dont remember exactly where I read that info.

You said your video card covered the Dr Debug display, which means you have it in the PCIE4 slot. Must be a long card that hit the SATA ports if used in the PCIE2 slot? That still seems strange to me, given the SATA ports layout. Otherwise it is a standard two slot high card. 

The PCIE4 slot is an x8 electrical slot, so your card is running at PCIe 2.0 x8. Only the PCIE2 slot is x16 electrically.

The Geil memory listed in your board's memory compatibility list was not the same as the Geil Corsa memory you have. That memory may be semi-compatible with your system.      

Yep its seated on the PCIE4 slot. 

On the video I uploaded I had it seated on the PCIE2 slot, but for some reason it wasnt being recognized by the system. Since i have always used it on the PCIE4 slot, I suppose the PCIE2 slot is dirty/dusty since it was exposed during all that time, but ill try placing it back on PCIE2 once I get a Contact Cleaner Spray to clean it.

I didnt know there was a difference between the PCIE4 and PCIE2 slots, since I always used my Video Card on 4. 

Well, I never had any issues with the Geil memory sticks other than malfunctions due to dust, which were solved with an eraser wipe on the contacts.   

Ill try cleaning the CMOS following the directions you gave me and as soon as I can ill post the updates here. Thanks once again for your help! 

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 4:02am
For starters, now would be as good a time as any to clean EVERYTHING !

Especially if there's enough in a PCIe slot that it concerned/worried you.

There is really no point in continuing here until that is done.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 4:42am
I agree with Wardog, and remember to clean out your PSU as well, just be careful to blow all the dust out of it and make sure the fan is spinning freely. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 4:44am
One more thing I just thought of, try another keyboard. A stuck key during bootup will also cause a rapidly repeating beep.
Devikn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devikn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 7:19am

For starters, now would be as good a time as any to clean EVERYTHING !

Especially if there's enough in a PCIe slot that it concerned/worried you.

There is really no point in continuing here until that is done.

I totally cleaned the dust off everything on the computer, I usually do it once a month but i ran out of Contact Cleaner Spray to clean the PCIE2 Slot of my motherboard so I dont think its related to dust/cleaning.

I use a thin brush to clean the fan and a vacummer for everything else. Also an eraser to wipe the contacts clean, unless its a slot where the eraser would be unreachable, what is the situation of my PCIE2 Slot. Everything else is clean.

One more thing I just thought of, try another keyboard. A stuck key during bootup will also cause a rapidly repeating beep.

Its not the keyboard. I used three different keyboard along all this time, and the current one is new so im sure there is no stuck key.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 3:50pm

A stuck key during bootup will also cause a rapidly repeating beep.

That's using your noggin. Thumbs Up

Good thinking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic