ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Extreme6 Beeping on Startup/Temp Alert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devikn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P67 Extreme6 Beeping on Startup/Temp Alert
    Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 3:01am
Hello guys,

I've tried looking up here on the forums for any situation close to this one but I couldnt find, so I'm sorry if by any reason there is any topic like that here.

I bought my ASRock P67 Extreme6 about 2 years ago, and since then, everytime I turn my computer on, it does 30 short loud annoying beeps. I didnt think there was any issue in that since I never had any further hardware/software issues during all that time.

In the past months, due to high weather temperatures and some heavy games I started to play, such as Battlefield 4 and Witcher 3, I noticed the beeps would start whenever my CPU temperature hit 122F/50C, like it was a temperature warning thing that triggered the beeping.

I went to BIOS and looked up on every available option and couldnt find anything related to temperature alerts or the annoying beeps. 

I want to find a way to fix/stop these beeps since its being impossible to use the computer at night, as the 30-continuous loud short beeps would wake up everybody.

Does anyone knows if the 30-beeps at the startup is normal? How to disable them, or at least change the temperature warning to a higher temperature?

Thank you guys! Ill provide any required and necessary info!
Tomkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tomkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 12:54pm
I would try to Remove the Ram and reinstall it. Could be that one of them are not seatet properly.

What about the CPU Coolingng Fan, does it start when you switch on your PC?

Regards

Tomkin
Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
Zotac Geforce GTX 1070
I7-3770@4,2GHZ
16GB DDR3 1600
1 X Toshiba SSD 450 GB OS/Games
2 X PNY SSD 240 GB Games
1 X Samsung 1 TB   DATA
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:41pm
Really, 30 beeps? That is not normal at all. The PC then boots fine, right?

Have you ever tried clearing the BIOS/CMOS to stop the beeping?

Your board has a Dr. Debug POST code display. You should watch that display when you start the PC, and try to write down what code you see when the beeps occur. I would hope it would stay on one code, but it might not. If the codes keep changing during the beeping, does one code seem to be displayed longer than the others?

The source of the beeping is another question. Your board has a header/connector for the small beep code speaker. The speaker is not built into the board, it must be connected by the owner. That connector is in the lower right corner of the board, item 26 in this picture:

If there is the beep speaker connected to this connector, you can simply remove the speaker to solve the noise problem of the beeps. If you do not have a beep speaker connected to that connector, something else is beeping. Simply removing the beep speaker does not identify the real cause of the beeping, of course.

A few video cards can beep, what video card are you using?

The CPU temperature of 122F/50C is well below the maximum of a Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU. I did not see anything in the manual about a BIOS setting that would cause beeps, although BIOS updates can change options and the manuals are rarely updated. If your CPU was over heating, the PC would simply shut off.

We have zero information about your PC besides the mother board. Please list your BIOS version, CPU, memory type including full manufacture and model number, and which memory slots are being used. Also the PSU, video card(s), drives, and any other major hardware that you use.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:59pm
Also, what specific P67 Extreme6 do you have there?

I ask 'cuz there's a P67 Extreme6 (B3 Chipset) that has the Dr Debug leds that might shine some light on this.
Devikn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devikn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 2:32am
Sorry for the late reply guys, ill try to provide what was asked:

Originally posted by Tomkin Tomkin wrote:

I would try to Remove the Ram and reinstall it. Could be that one of them are not seatet properly.

What about the CPU Coolingng Fan, does it start when you switch on your PC?

Regards

Tomkin

Thanks for the reply Tomkin. I eventually had to clean my RAM for some times before and the beeps never stopped or changed. They are seated properly. The fan does start when my computer is turned on, I also use Speed Fan to increase its speed when the supposed "temperature alarm" beeps goes off.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Really, 30 beeps? That is not normal at all. The PC then boots fine, right?

Have you ever tried clearing the BIOS/CMOS to stop the beeping?

Hello parsec, thanks for your reply!

Yeah, 30 short beeps, I managed to count it since yesterday the beeps started to sound everytime the CPU temperature went over 122F/50C degrees, it happened like 10 times. The PC does boots fine, never had any problem with it. 

Nope, I never tried to clear the BIOS/CMOS im not quite sure how to do it, but ill try to look up for it. 

Your board has a Dr. Debug POST code display. You should watch that display when you start the PC, and try to write down what code you see when the beeps occur. I would hope it would stay on one code, but it might not. If the codes keep changing during the beeping, does one code seem to be displayed longer than the others?

Unfortunatelly my Video Card is covering the Dr Debug display making it impossible to see what codes are being shown. I cant move my Video Card since its way too big and the only available spot is the one by the Dr Debug display. Is there any other way I can check the code, such as a software or any alternative to the display? I believe that if I take my GPU out to check the display, I would get a 0d or d6 error code.

The source of the beeping is another question. Your board has a header/connector for the small beep code speaker. The speaker is not built into the board, it must be connected by the owner.

If there is the beep speaker connected to this connector, you can simply remove the speaker to solve the noise problem of the beeps. If you do not have a beep speaker connected to that connector, something else is beeping. Simply removing the beep speaker does not identify the real cause of the beeping, of course.

I checked the speaker connector and it is connected to a mini speaker, so it certainly seems to be the Motherboard. I could remove it, but like you said, we wouldnt be able to identify the problem.

A few video cards can beep, what video card are you using?

The CPU temperature of 122F/50C is well below the maximum of a Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU. I did not see anything in the manual about a BIOS setting that would cause beeps, although BIOS updates can change options and the manuals are rarely updated. If your CPU was over heating, the PC would simply shut off.

I have a Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 3.0, but i dont think the beeps are coming from it, since I had a previous different Radeon video card and the computer beeped the same way.

Well, that is what I could notice on the temperature display, whenever it went over 122F/50C the beeping would start as it was like a Temperature-Warning alert, something that could happen before the PC shutting off due to the high temperature. What seems odd tho, is that my previous Radeon Video Card had a cooling issue and then it would overheat making my computer turn off without any beeps.

We have zero information about your PC besides the mother board. Please list your BIOS version, CPU, memory type including full manufacture and model number, and which memory slots are being used. Also the PSU, video card(s), drives, and any other major hardware that you use.

I had to update my BIOS when I bought a new video card in order to use it, but i dont remember what version it was before. Here we go:

BIOS = American Megatrends Inc. P2.10 Date: 05/08/2012 Ver: 04.06.05 / SMBIOS 2.7
CPU = Intel Core i5 2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs) ~ 3101 MHz
RAM = 2x GEIL Enhance CORSA Single Channel 4GB(8GB Total) CL9-99 DDR3-1333MHz 1.5V on Slots #1 and #3
PSU = OCZ StealthXStream2 - 700W
Video Card = GIGABYTE AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB /Driver Version: 15.300 Model WDDM 1.1 DirectX 11
HDs = 2x 500GB Seagate Barracuda ST3500630AS 7200.10 3.5"

Im using a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits version OS

Thats basically everything. Let me know if you need any more info, such as a DXDiag or MSInfo file. 
Thanks!

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Also, what specific P67 Extreme6 do you have there?

I ask 'cuz there's a P67 Extreme6 (B3 Chipset) that has the Dr Debug leds that might shine some light on this.

Hello wardog, thanks for the reply!

Here is everything I know about my motherboard: 
ASRock P67 Extreme6 Intel Sandy Bridge with DDR3 memory technology slots and 64MB AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with GUI Support its basically the same on the layout parsec posted, like from this link:

Mine does have the B3 Chipset, but unfortunatelly my Video Card covers the whole Dr Debug display making it impossible to see anything. I am unable to move my Video Card since the HDs would be on the way if i tried any of the other slots, being the slot by Dr Debug's display the only one available for it.

Edited by Devikn - 16 Dec 2015 at 3:31am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Devikn Devikn wrote:

I am unable to move my Video Card since the HDs would be on the way if i tried any of the other slots, being the slot by Dr Debug's display the only one available for it.

Knowing what is displayed on Dr Debug would be invaluable to you in regards to us helping.

Can you disconnect/remove a HDD or two foir this? You don't need to boot into the OS, just press DELETE and get into the BIOS. Enough to see what's displayed?
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Devikn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devikn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 9:22am

I am unable to move my Video Card since the HDs would be on the way if i tried any of the other slots, being the slot by Dr Debug's display the only one available for it.

Knowing what is displayed on Dr Debug would be invaluable to you in regards to us helping.

Can you disconnect/remove a HDD or two foir this? You don't need to boot into the OS, just press DELETE and get into the BIOS. Enough to see what's displayed?

Sorry for the late reply, I had some trouble after re-positioning the video card, but I was able to read Dr Debug's display.

The sequence of codes are: 08-15-20-55-36-4F-88-72-9A-96-62-99-64-92-A2-A3

I had to record the display in order to read that sequence, some numbers like 08-15-88-72-9A and  92 flashed way too quickly, so Im not quite sure if they are correct. 

The ones staying on the display for the longest (1 or more secs) were: 4F-96-62-99-64-A2 and A3, being 64 the longest.

I can upload a video with Dr Debug's display and the beeping it makes when I turn the computer on if needed. 

Thanks for now.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 2:46pm
Post codes will cycle at every boot, they represent the startup procedures for the board. An error is indicated by a code that remains displayed and halts post. In your situation the error is obviously resolving and post is continuing. When 64 is displayed, is that when the beeping starts or does the beeping begin on another code?

64 is a CPU initialization process so you may want to remove, clean and reseat your CPU. It could also be your power supply sending dirty current to the system, this can easily cause overheating and component initialization errors. Try checking the system with a different PSU and if that fails then reseat the CPU.

Good luck 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 3:20pm

Sorry for the late reply, I had some trouble after re-positioning the video card, but I was able to read Dr Debug's display.

The sequence of codes are: 08-15-20-55-36-4F-88-72-9A-96-62-99-64-92-A2-A3

I had to record the display in order to read that sequence, some numbers like 08-15-88-72-9A and  92 flashed way too quickly, so Im not quite sure if they are correct. 

The ones staying on the display for the longest (1 or more secs) were: 4F-96-62-99-64-A2 and A3, being 64 the longest.

I can upload a video with Dr Debug's display and the beeping it makes when I turn the computer on if needed.

I had to update my BIOS when I bought a new video card in order to use it, but i dont remember what version it was before. Here we go:

BIOS = American Megatrends Inc. P2.10 Date: 05/08/2012 Ver: 04.06.05 / SMBIOS 2.7
CPU = Intel Core i5 2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs) ~ 3101 MHz
RAM = 2x GEIL Enhance CORSA Single Channel 4GB(8GB Total) CL9-99 DDR3-1333MHz 1.5V on Slots #1 and #3
PSU = OCZ StealthXStream2 - 700W
Video Card = GIGABYTE AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB /Driver Version: 15.300 Model WDDM 1.1 DirectX 11
HDs = 2x 500GB Seagate Barracuda ST3500630AS 7200.10 3.5"

Im using a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits version OS

Thats basically everything. Let me know if you need any more info, such as a DXDiag or MSInfo file. 
Thanks!

Thanks for now.

I included the system specs from an earlier post in this post for reference.

As we know, the PC boots into Windows, so POST does not stop the start up process with a fatal error. Looking at the sequence of POST codes (thanks for that, a lot of work) we see an A3 at the end, the typical storage drive initialization being done, and POST is complete.

As you recall, during the sequence of codes you recorded, when does the 30 beeps begin? Approximately of course, the best you can recall. If it is before or after the display of codes, please say so.

IF we assume the longest displayed code MIGHT be the problem, that being 64, that is the wonderfully ambiguous chipset initialization error. The generic cure for that is clear the CMOS/BIOS, which I suggested in general earlier. No video of the POST codes is necessary, since you are not getting a fatal error during POST, which stops with the code of the process being run.

Your reply to my question about clearing the BIOS/CMOS (you don't know how to do that) means the only time anything like that happened is when you did any BIOS updates.

Any time you add or change major hardware, like a CPU, memory (or just changing the memory slots used), video card, or even change the connection of drives in the SATA ports, you really should clear the BIOS. Otherwise data in the BIOS becomes confused and can cause problems.

The Clear CMOS jumper is next to the battery on the board, item 32 in the picture from your manual I posted. There is also a clrCMOS button on the board's IO panel. Before using either, the PC is shutdown, the PSU switch is turned off, and the AC power cord is unplugged either from the PSU or the AC outlet.

Use the clrCMOS button, very easy to do. After doing what I described above, press and hold the clrCMOS button for several seconds. You can do that several times, or hold the button down longer. The other method is to open the PC case, move the jumper on the clear CMOS header from pins 1 and 2, to pins 2 and 3, and leave it there for at least a minute. Move the jumper back to pins 1 and 2 to complete the process.

Don't forget that a BIOS/CMOS clear sets ALL the BIOS options back to their default values. If you have set and need certain not default BIOS settings, you must set those again in the BIOS.

Given the new system spec information, I have a few comments about that.

You are using BIOS version 2.10, which is the Ivy Bridge processor compatibility update version. That adds Ivy Bridge CPU compatibility to a Sandy Bridge chipset board. You are using a Sandy Bridge processor, an i5-2400. That is fine to do as long as this update is done correctly. That includes updating the Intel IME software/driver to Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.2.141, in the Windows 7 download area.

Since the board beeped before this update, it could not cause the problem. I don't understand why this BIOS update was needed for your video card. Nothing in the description includes anything about video card compatibility updates.

You said your video card covered the Dr Debug display, which means you have it in the PCIE4 slot. Must be a long card that hit the SATA ports if used in the PCIE2 slot? That still seems strange to me, given the SATA ports layout. Otherwise it is a standard two slot high card.

The PCIE4 slot is an x8 electrical slot, so your card is running at PCIe 2.0 x8. Only the PCIE2 slot is x16 electrically.

The Geil memory listed in your board's memory compatibility list was not the same as the Geil Corsa memory you have. That memory may be semi-compatible with your system.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 3:40pm
The more I think about that number of beeps and what might be causing it it may well be your PSU. Or a HDD. Both known to beep continuously.

You say beeping. Is it more a screeching beep vs a mechanical beep. Can you upload a recording of this beeping?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic