ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X99 Extreme11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebeast1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X99 Extreme11
    Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:41am
I am having major issues trying to set this board up, it just seems to randomly freeze and I have to power off to get it to do anything, this happens randomly during POST, or if it gets past this point it will freeze when trying to install the OS.
I've tried changing the memory, the graphics card, unplugging all but one of the drives, etc.
I also updated to the latest bios firmware v1.20.
When I do get into the BIOS it shows everything is fine, no errors, no high temperatures or anything.
I'm really unhappy about this as I have spent almost £8k on top end components.
The error codes from Dr. Debug show nothing either, and obviously when I get to the point of installing the OS there are no light on the MB anyway.
It's like there is some issue between the LSI SAS RAID ROM and the main BIOS or something as the board works fine without any drives connected at all??
thebeast1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebeast1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:13pm
OK, so after several days of investigating I have concluded that this is indeed and issue with the LSISAS3008 RAID controller.
I believe that this controller should work with SAS drives and SATA3 drives, but it looks like when I connect my SATA3 drive on the SAS ports it basically causes the system to hang at random points.
Can you please look into this as I bought this motherboard on it's ability to support a large number of raided drives?
The drives I am trying to use in a mirrored raid on 2 of the SAS ports are Samsung 1TB SSD 850 EVO.
homerj79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote homerj79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:16am
Have you tried the same drives on any of the non-SAS ports? What about plugging a SAS drive in to the SAS ports (realizing most people don't have SAS drives laying around). Just trying to see if we can narrow down the culprit to the board even further or if the problem is further up the chain, i.e. bad cables or a bad drive(s).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 12:48pm
Did you install the LSI LSI Floppy Image ver:2.50.70.01 (Windows 8.1 version) or LSI Floppy Image ver:2.50.65.00 (Windows 7 version) during the OS installation?

If not, this driver is essential for the operation of the LSI SAS chipset on your board. Windows does not provide the entire driver package necessary to support the LSI SAS 3008 controller.

This driver will install from a USB flash drive using the Install driver option from the Custom Installation selection of the Windows installation program.

There is a text file and a pdf file describing the driver installation and using the features of the full LSI driver package and utility that are installed after Windows is installed, in the driver download file listed above.
thebeast1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebeast1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 6:12pm
Thanks Guys,

Yes I have tried the drives in the non-sas ports and they work fine, this is how I currently have them setup and running in a RAID. I haven't tried booting with any sas drives connected as yet.
This is prior to installing the OS, so don't think the OS driver version is an issue at this point, the system freezes and hangs before I even get to the install, in some cases it hangs at point of entering BIOS if I have a sata drive plugged into the sas port.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic