ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Boot With +16GB RAM - 990fx Killer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwag_myers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Boot With +16GB RAM - 990fx Killer
    Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 2:01am
First, I put a note in to Tech Support, but thought I'd post here as well.

990fx Killer motherboard - Part # 90-MXGST0-A0UAYZ
Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB DDR3 DRAM @ 2400MHz - Part # CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz processor - Part # FD8350FRHKBOX

My first boot was without the hard drive and all four sticks of RAM, resulting in running fans and nothing more. Boot with no RAM was successful, as was one and two sticks. However, the third stick results in no boot to the bios.

I've tried single and dual-channel configurations, resetting the CMOS, as well as auto and several manual settings of the RAM Frequency.

Why can I not get 32GB of RAM @ 2400 MHz into this board?
You've been Kwagulated!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 3:17am
Originally posted by kwag_myers kwag_myers wrote:

Why can I not get 32GB of RAM @ 2400 MHz into this board?

Because AMD only certifies the 8350 to run with two sticks running at 1866. Above that it's on your shoulder to coax an overclock out of the MB/CPU.

What's holding you back is most likely the IMC. But even then, as all silicon is not created equally, it's a crap shoot to just how high yo can coax four sticks as four sticks places a great stress on the IMC.

Look in your BIOS for a single line that reads CPU/NB Voltage. This is the voltage that the IMC relies upon to "feed' it. Bump it up one bump in the BIOS at a time, testing between bumps. Too, keep an eye on your temps.

You should not need to get near 1.25v but like I said, all silicon is not equal.

DO NOT just read this and change it 1.25v ! One bump at a time till you find it boots. You may, after finding where it'll boot, run a short stress test and find it fail. Simply offer it another bump in the BIOS and you should be golden from there.

You also might check that all four sticks run at 2133 before doing the above.
kwag_myers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwag_myers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 5:52am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Because AMD only certifies the 8350 to run with two sticks running at 1866. Above that it's on your shoulder to coax an overclock out of the MB/CPU.

Thanks for the quick response. I knew this would be a learning experience, but never thought I'd be in this far over my head. Looks like I'll be at this for a while, but just wanted to say thanks.
You've been Kwagulated!
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:08am
I'll add a bit to wardog's post. Let's start with this picture from AMD:

Like wardog already stated, AMD certifies the FX-series CPUs to run with two sticks running at 1866 MHz. However, this is only the case when there are only two memory slots on the motherboard. If there are four slots, it's 1600 MHz even if you only have two sticks. Four slots and four sticks is the same thing, as long as you have single rank memory. If not, the certified speed drops to 1333 MHz.

I couldn't find any mention of the rank of your sticks on Corsair's site, so I'd start with 1333 MHz and work my way up from there. You might be able to hit 1600 MHz or even 1866 MHz without touching the CPU/NB voltage, so start by finding the point at which your system becomes unstable. You can try bumping the voltages after that, if you're not happy with the speed you're achieving.

There are two other things to keep in mind:

1. RAM speed does not really affect everyday performance. You will most likely only notice the differences between different speeds in synthetic tests and a very limited amount of applications (like winRAR or video encoding). So don't feel too bad about the less than perfect IMC.

(This is a bit old, but I believe the main results are still valid and the article also does a good job explaining the basics about RAM:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill)

2. If you're running your RAM at a lower speed than what it's rated for, you can compensate that by changing the timings. For example, at 1333 MHz the SPD latency values for your sticks are 9-9-9-24, while at 2400 MHz the tested values are 11-13-13-31.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwag_myers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:25am
Interesting. I noticed (during my testing) when I booted to the bios after each failed test the RAM was at 1333 on the Main page. When I saved my changes, only then did it go to the set speed of 2133. But according to this table, I should change it back to 1333?

As for my testing, I was only able to install three sticks total by changing the NP voltage to 1.12 (from 1.10). I tested all the way up to the maximum of 1.40, but could not boot with the forth stick in.
You've been Kwagulated!
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 10:41am
Assuming the problem is not related to the sticks themselves, you should be able to boot with four sticks at 1333 MHz. If they're single rank, then 1600 MHz should work as well. If not, even 1600 MHz is an overclock and may not work without extra voltage. You may also need to increase RAM voltage to achieve stability.

Some more reading (pages 15 and 19 at least):

http://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

Btw, don't change the NB voltage, change the CPU/NB voltage. These are two different things (see the tuning guide for details). Leave the NB at its stock voltage 1.10V. The CPU/NB stock voltage is 1.15V and that's the one you want to increase if need be. Just keep an eye on those CPU temps, since the CPU/NB (the memory controller) is located on the die itself.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 4:17pm
hehehe 1.40 to the NB. Gadzooks man. hehehe, noob

PetrolHead's link to the AMD FX Performance Tuning Guide is still very relevant. It's quirky and convoluted in places while reading but once you wrap your head around what all it espouses and then understand the quirkiness you'll have graduated from Noob Status :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwag_myers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

hehehe 1.40 to the NB. Gadzooks man. hehehe, noob

I guess you can't believe everything you see on YouTube (2:29).
You've been Kwagulated!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 11:27pm
ROFL never believe what you see on youtube unless it is from a verified source. 1.4v on the northbridge is crazy high. As you saw, Wardog recommended a maximum of 1.25v and that even that is a little high though at least within the realms where the cooling on the board can handle it. You came out of it ok tho so not a problem Wink Live and learn.

Wardog and PetrolHead both know their AMD kit so I will leave you in their capable hands.

Edited by Xaltar - 19 Dec 2015 at 2:46am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwag_myers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 1:49am
Things are not going well in Kwaggie's mire. I tried all frequencies from 1333 to 2133 (with the CPU NB at 1.625 and 1.2375) and all CPU NB voltages between the default 1.1625 and 1.2625 (I know, but I had to try). I'm currently running three sticks at 1333 with the CPU NB at 1.1625. I haven't touched anything else since resetting the CMOS. I'm not sure what to do next, so unless there's another suggestion, I'll have to go with this (still six times what my old machine was, RAM wise). Would it be worth the time to try each frequency with each voltage (stopping at 1.25, I promise)?

fyi, I was wondering how I could have missed the CPU NB setting before until I realized I had to switch the Multiplier / Voltage Change to Manual in order for it to display.
You've been Kwagulated!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic