ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme4/3.1 Won't Post w/4 Sticks RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Extreme4/3.1 Won't Post w/4 Sticks RAM
    Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 2:51am
Building new rig with X99 Extreme4/3.1 and 32 GB RAM kit HX430C15PBK4/32 which is on the QVL for this board in slots A1, B1, C1, D1 but it will not POST (no video or beeps). With 1 stick in A1 it will boot. Tried using all sticks in A1 and they are all good. Also used two different GPUs and no help. Flashed BIOS 1.20 and Beta no help.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-Zep
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 3:15am
Try reseating your CPU. Often times with the X99 platform where we have seen issues to do with memory it has proven to be the culprit. Make sure your cooler isn't too tight and causing the pins to misalign due to excessive pressure.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 11:22am
Also, before tearing it down, and I hate to imply this, but,,,,,,,,, place you memory in dual channel using two sticks, then three, then four to rule out a possible bad ram slot.

I know, but it does happen on rare occasion.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 5:00pm
You did not mention if you are able to post with a single stick of RAM in any of the other slots. If not then try what wardog suggested, keep 1 module in A1 and then try a second in each consecutive slot and see if any fail to post. If they all fail then it is likely the CPU is not seated correctly or you have bent pins in the socket.

The odds of 3 bad slots goes from rare to exceedingly rare. Generally if it is some kind of physical defect on the board it will be either all slots fail or just one fails with one being due to a physical defect in the slot itself and all being a defect in the board circuitry. 

Let us know how you get on.
dsmitherines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsmitherines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 1:03am
Was there any resolution to this issue? I am having similar issues with the same board. I am using 2x8 GB G.Skill ram, an Intel Core i7-5280K, and an Nvidia GTX 660 Ti. I have changed around the RAM and inspected for bent pins, and I cannot find anything that would be amiss. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 6:36am
Originally posted by dsmitherines dsmitherines wrote:

Was there any resolution to this issue? I am having similar issues with the same board. I am using 2x8 GB G.Skill ram, an Intel Core i7-5280K, and an Nvidia GTX 660 Ti. I have changed around the RAM and inspected for bent pins, and I cannot find anything that would be amiss. 

You don't say which memory Kit and its speed.

Is your board running the latest BIOS? Your BIOS chip has a white sticker over with writing. What does it say printed on it?

Odds are it is a now an older BIOS. If you have a friend with some ~2133 sticks ask to borrow them and test with. Assuming it boots with these borrowed sticks, while still in place, update your BIOS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsmitherines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 7:20am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

You don't say which memory Kit and its speed.

Is your board running the latest BIOS? Your BIOS chip has a white sticker over with writing. What does it say printed on it?

Odds are it is a now an older BIOS. If you have a friend with some ~2133 sticks ask to borrow them and test with. Assuming it boots with these borrowed sticks, while still in place, update your BIOS.

I am using G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8 GB DDR4 2400. 

The sticker says "P 1.20."

Don't have anyone to swap sticks with nearby, unfortunately. Can the older BIOS versions only take >2133 sticks?

Also, how would I update my BIOS if I cannot even see anything on screen?

Edited by dsmitherines - 14 Jan 2016 at 7:22am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:33am
Originally posted by dsmitherines dsmitherines wrote:

I am using G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8 GB DDR4 2400. 

The sticker says "P 1.20."

Don't have anyone to swap sticks with nearby, unfortunately. Can the older BIOS versions only take >2133 sticks?

Also, how would I update my BIOS if I cannot even see anything on screen?

re: P1.20 - That's the latest Production BIOS yet there is a BETA, L1.24, and it again addresses memory compatibility issues.

It's not that an "older' BIOS can only handle lower speed memory. It's that DDR4 started production at lower speeds and now that the memory manufacturers have been coming out with an ever expanding plethora of sizes and faster speeds the motherboard manufactures have been playing catch up in their continually releasing new BIOS releases for the X99 platform in keeping up with new and or faster sticks.

How to update? As I said, you'll most likely need a different memory to do this. I'll again inquire, what's the memory kit p/n?

Below is the link to the G.Skill Memory Configurator listing all the compatible G/Skill memory that G.Skill certifies for the NON-3.1 version of your board, the X99 Extreme4. The BIOS revisions between the two, your /3.1 and the NON /3.1 appear to be the same as the added 3.1 controllers is not issued commands from within the BIOS seeings it's a 3rd party add-on chip.

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2297

If whatever 16GB(2x8GB) Kit p/n you have is not shown on the links listing it is more than likely not compatible. More than likely not. The L1.24 BETA was just released Dec 03 2015, so it may or may not address your 2400 sticks. But it's worth a shot for what effort and cost are involved.

Do you have a computer repair shop near that may charge a minimal charge to take your system there to try with? Meh, another option for ya anyways.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:02am
Clarification of the BIOSes of the /3.1 and standard NON /3.1

If you'll look at the released dates and revisions of the two boards BIOSes you'll notice same dates and desc of fixes.

A BIOSes "innards' are now modular so with the exception of the /3.1 BIOS addressing any possible later FW update to the included USB 3.1card, I'm assuming ASRock considers them the same. The boards are identical as far as I'm aware, other that the /3.1's included USB3.1 card.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsmitherines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:03am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

re: P1.20 - That's the latest Production BIOS yet there is a BETA, L1.24, and it again addresses memory compatibility issues.

It's not that an "older' BIOS can only handle lower speed memory. It's that DDR4 started production at lower speeds and now that the memory manufacturers have been coming out with an ever expanding plethora of sizes and faster speeds the motherboard manufactures have been playing catch up in their continually releasing new BIOS releases for the X99 platform in keeping up with new and or faster sticks.

How to update? As I said, you'll most likely need a different memory to do this. I'll again inquire, what's the memory kit p/n?

Below is the link to the G.Skill Memory Configurator listing all the compatible G/Skill memory that G.Skill certifies for the NON-3.1 version of your board, the X99 Extreme4. The BIOS revisions between the two, your /3.1 and the NON /3.1 appear to be the same as the added 3.1 controllers is not issued commands from within the BIOS seeings it's a 3rd party add-on chip.

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2297

If whatever 16GB(2x8GB) Kit p/n you have is not shown on the links listing it is more than likely not compatible. More than likely not. The L1.24 BETA was just released Dec 03 2015, so it may or may not address your 2400 sticks. But it's worth a shot for what effort and cost are involved.

Do you have a computer repair shop near that may charge a minimal charge to take your system there to try with? Meh, another option for ya anyways.

Your note about memory is very interesting. 

I have the 2400 version of G.Skill memory listed here on Newegg. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231888

My memory was not listed in the link you sent me. This might be one of the best explanations of what is going on with my board. Thank you. 

I'll give my local Micro Center a shot, but I would be kind of salty to pay a projected $120 for them to tell me to buy new memory. 

I am not necessarily tied down to G.Skill as a brand. I used them in my first build and figured that I would buy them again. Do you have any RAM recommendations? Hopefully without giant heatspreaders to allow for CPU cooler clearance. That was almost a huge problem on my current build. I am not sure if I can reach the slots closest to my CPU.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic