ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z97 Pro4 bios beeps/posting issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Koste View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z97 Pro4 bios beeps/posting issues
    Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 8:11pm
Hi. I have the same problem with my Z97 Pro4.

Everything has been reseated and reconnected. It is running on only one ram module.
It takes forever. But if I wait long enough it will eventually boot into Windows.

It has just gotten a fresh installation of Windows 7 on a new hard drive.

The hardware is:
- Asrock Z97 pro 4
- Kingston 8GB (1x 8GB) 1333MHz DDR3
- Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3
- 700W power supply
- nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 graphics card

I am more than certain that it is a motherboard issue. If any solution has been found. Please let me know. Current BIOS version is 1.3. And I plan to update it soon.
Dinobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dinobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 12:46am
So finally, (almost) one month later and I got a replacement motherboard. Everything is finally working again as it should.

Meanwhile I had some interesting times on an old Linux machine :)

Thanks everybody for the input.

Dinobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dinobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:07am
Hi parsec

- I tried removing the videocard, but this time I have connected my monitor to the onboard graphics. I hadn't tried that before. The result is the same: 6 beeps in a loop.

- I tried booting with only 1 RAM dimm installed in slot A1, A2, B1, B2

- I have disconnected all other hardware like esata card reader, dvd drives, all hard drives including the OS drive

- This pc runs Windows 10

- I really can't tell when the problems started. All of a sudden I got 6 beeps, 1 bios beep and the pc booted normally. The problems got worse and worse and now I'm in a situation where I can't get in the bios anymore. A RMA for the motherboard has been requested. In the mean time I have replaced the power supply as this was starting to fail (clicking sound).

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 1:26am
Did you try removing the video card and use the CPU graphics for a test? Clear the BIOS before starting the PC after removing the video card.

Memory should be put in slots A2 and B2, the black slots. You should also try using one DIMM only in the B2 slot. ALWAYS clear the BIOS after making changes like this.

Since the PC was working/booting at one time (right?), then something either broke or possibly a Windows update may be causing an issue. What OS are you using?

You mentioned earlier beeps occurring after removing the video card, which is weird since you have onboard graphics, but perhaps you did not have a cable connected to the IO panel video outputs?

You could disconnect your OS drive and you could still get into the BIOS.

The progression of your problem indicates something became worse as time passed until you could no longer boot. IMO it's time to strip the PC down to bare essentials and test it at each phase of adding ONE piece of hardware.

I would disconnect ALL of your drives first as well as the video card, connect the monitor to the onboard graphics, clear the BIOS before starting the PC in this state and see what happens.

Trying different memory would be great, if you could.
Dinobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dinobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:47pm
Ok, I replaced the power supply today with a brand new Corsair CS550M to no avail.

I get 2 bios beeps and then 6 beeps. I think it's 6 beeps, but could also be 2 times 3 short beeps. I found it  very difficult to tell...

I posted a little video here: https://youtu.be/B9Fsrt_fSs0
Dinobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dinobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:46pm
Ok, I did some more research on my pc / psu today:

All voltages my psu is delivering are just perfect, BUT I heard a ticking/click noise from the psu. It sounded like a worn bearing in the fan, but it's not the fan. Probably a capacitor which is dying.

Seems like you were right after all, it's the PSU. Going to order a replacement today.

Kind regards,
-
Dinobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dinobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 3:52am
The GPU is ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 9:10pm
What's the model number of your card?
Dinobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dinobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 9:00pm
Hmm, I'm reading more info on the graphics card: this should be one of the more frugal cards at only 60 watts...

[edit]
The GPU is ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5

Edited by Dinobe - 21 Dec 2015 at 9:27pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 7:11pm
Modular huh?

If yours is modular you might check by scrubbing the modular contacts for a good/better connection, considering its age.

Without fully pulling the plastic cable end out of the PSUs connector, move them slowly in and out six or seven times, slowly so as you don't deform the soft/delicate brass terminals within the plastic plugs themselves.

Oxidation on old connectors/connections(Modular PSUs) is not a good conductor of electricity.

One searchable word: Caig
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic