ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550M-ITX/ac not detecting EVO Plus NVMe M.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moushntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550M-ITX/ac not detecting EVO Plus NVMe M.2
    Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 4:58pm
Hi,

I have installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD into the M2_1 slot of the ASRock B550M-ITX/ac motherboard and it is failing to detect it.
I have tried reinstalling and also updating the BIOS to the latest version (1.1) but the issue still persists.

I'm wondering now if this is an issue with the motherboard or if this drive is just not supported.
The specifications page (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-ITXac/index.asp#Specification) is confusing me.
It says it supports "M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (with Matisse) or Gen3x4 (32 Gb/s)" which sounds like it supports this SSD, since the SSD's interface is a "PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3" slot, but then underneath it also says "Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks" as if this is a limitation.

Can anyone clarify this for me ?
I want to know if I need to keep debugging this board or if I just bought an incompatible drive.

Thanks
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:22pm
..are you able to test the drive in another PC?
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
moushntr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moushntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:19pm
Yes I have tested the drive in my laptop which uses an NVMe drive and it works perfectly fine there.
I have also reinstalled the SSD in the MB multiple times to rule out a faulty installation.

In the mean time I found the board's QVL which includes multiple NVMe drives, including the 256GB variant of the one I am trying to use so it seems the board should support it but nevertheless cannot detect the drive...

I also discovered in my research that the BIOS for some other ASRock boards have an option under "advanced" called "nvme settings" or something which is missing in the BIOS for this board. Not sure if this is a factor.

Look forward to any advice on how to fix or debug this!
Cheers
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 6:15pm
Is it that you don't see the drive in the BIOS then? Do you have any other NVMe drives you could test on your motherboard?

I once had some memory that my motherboard wouldn't detect .. and it turned out to be a small spec of packing foam had lodged itself in the memory slot .. maybe check the m.2 slot for contaminates or bent pins or the like or just anything that might not look right/broken.
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
moushntr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moushntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:31pm
Yeah it doesn't show up at all.
Under storage options it only shows the SATA drives (despite all slots being empty), but apparently its normal for NVMe drives not to show up there and, as mentioned above, some BIOS for other motherboard have a separate menu for NVMe drives.

The drive doesn't show up in windows installer either.

I'll take another look at the slot, I'm a bit sceptical though ... I have reinstalled it so many times.
mambasco.chelkova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mambasco.chelkova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 12:09pm
Hi there,
I am planning to buy the motherboard and i have the same SSD. I am curious does your problem has been resolved?
mambasco.chelkova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mambasco.chelkova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by moushntr moushntr wrote:

Hi,

I have installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD into the M2_1 slot of the ASRock B550M-ITX/ac motherboard and it is failing to detect it.
I have tried reinstalling and also updating the BIOS to the latest version (1.1) but the issue still persists.

I'm wondering now if this is an issue with the motherboard or if this drive is just not supported.
The specifications page (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-ITXac/index.asp#Specification) is confusing me.
It says it supports "M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (with Matisse) or Gen3x4 (32 Gb/s)" which sounds like it supports this SSD, since the SSD's interface is a "PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3" slot, but then underneath it also says "Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks" as if this is a limitation.

Can anyone clarify this for me ?
I want to know if I need to keep debugging this board or if I just bought an incompatible drive.

Thanks

Forgive me I am noob, so the spec page also confusing me (as well as spec page in all other brand and MB type on that matter ). In the storage section they never say explicitly supports NVME, but i have tried installing my Samsung EVO in MSI x570 motherboard and it works anyway.
cah4e34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cah4e34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 5:37am
I have the same problem. Bought a new SSD Kingston a2000 nvme. BIOS and Windows do not see the disk. I have an Asrock b450m pro4. I also do not have settings for nvme in the BIOS. Have you solved this problem? Can you help me somehow
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 4:39pm
cah4e34, please post your system specs fully, which slots which device is plugged in
folding@home
cah4e34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cah4e34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 12:21am
Asrock b450m pro4. In addition to m2, HDD Toshiba p300 1?TB and SSD SATA Kingston a400 120 GB is installed. Ryzen 1200 processor.16 gb 4x4 RAM. Gigabyte aorus Rx 570 4Gb video card. Gamemax GE600 power supply (600 watts). M2 installed in ULTRA m2 with NVMe support but tried it in another slot. Unplug all other drives but nothing helps. Bios the latest version. I heard that the problem may be in the power supply, is it true?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic