ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

What version of IRST for Z77 Extreme 4/W10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What version of IRST for Z77 Extreme 4/W10
    Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 4:34am
I did a clean install of W10 v1511 on a ASRock Extreme 4 system. I did not install any version of IRST on this system and Network Discovery works ok. What's the latest version of Intel's Rapid Storage (IRST) that will work with the Z77 Extreme 4 MB and W10 Pro v1511? There is no version listed on the ASRock web site for W10. I have several ASRock Z97 MB's running W10 and they use a newer version of IRST than is available on the ASRock web site for the Z77 Extreme 4 MB running W8. Network Discovery works correctly on all of the Z97 systems.

I have another ASRock Extreme 4 system running W10 that I let MS upgrade from W8 and it is running the "old" version of IRST. I don't know if it has anything todo with anything but Network Discovery does not work on that machine but as I said above does work on the one without IRST installed? Help appreciated.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 5:13am
Hi Ken,

As of this writing for Windows 10 x86 or x64, the latest is 14.8.0.1042, Dated 12/14/2015

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 5:45am
Thanks for the response, I wonder why the Z77 Extreme 4 download section for W10 does not have any mention of IRST?  Do you know for a fact that the latest version will work on the Z77 Extreme 4  board?  If I sound a little skeptic it's only because I have had problems in the past making new versions of IRST work on old Gigabyte MB's.

Edited by Ken429 - 27 Dec 2015 at 6:18am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 6:14am
Gigabyte? Oh Ken, we don't use that word here :) Anywhere for that matter.

hehe, No, I can't say one way or the other.

My rule of thumb I use here is if I'm not having issues, don't upgrade.

Otherwise, if I have that persistent itch, I'll update ALL the drivers at one sitting. Not just one. Stack 'em all up and not leave the console till I've gone and updated them all.

Updating just one base/system drivercan sometimes lead to inconsistencies as most times one new one relies on another new one to function as intended.
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 7:07pm
Posted the same question on Tweaktown and got the right answer!  Even though 14.8.0.1042 is the latest IRST version it does not support the Z77 chip.  See this link for a long and detailed explanation of which version to use.  Took me awhile but I eventually found the information on which IRST version support which Intel controller.

Still does not explain why ASRock does not have an IRST driver listed for the Z77 Extreme 4 - W10.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 10:23pm
Well, I'm not so sure they offered you necessarily the "right' answer.

I said I couldn't say one way or the other in that is it problematic to install seeings Intel doesn't yet offer and IRST driver for Windows 10. Will they ever? I dunno.

I will say that the latest drivers I directed you to above are correct for the Z77 chipset.

I don't normally offer up in Tech Support forums any advice nor links that are out of the norm in regards to driver installations as it's just not possible from where I sit here at my keyboard to gauge a persons knowledge and or skill set to decide whether they are capable or not. No intent directed towards you when I say that. Just sayin'

See the below link:
http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/5927-cant-install-intel-rst-program-post238828.html#post238828

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 10:33pm
Oh! If you were to read that thread from post #1 you will discover why the newer IRST drivers do not install on Windows 10.

It;s rather hard for ASRock to provide an IRST for Win10 when Intel themselves don't yet have one. Those drivers located on the ASRock d/l pages only represent what the manufacturer, Intel or whomever, have made available. Not "Bad ASRock' but instead "Bad Intel"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic